PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 05-04-2022, 08:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Viking Longship (waterline model)

A couple of years ago I tried to design a Viking longship, but as I didn't have that much experience with ship models back then the first prototypes resulted in overcomplicated structures.

So this year I went back to try again and was able to get a much better looking and easier to build geometry for the hull done. I was using reference photos and models to make sure the dimensions and proportions were "believable" and large enough for gaming. A first texturing sketch was applied to see how this could look once done.

Like most of my models I work in the 28-30mm figure space so I made a successful test with packing a lot of minis in to the prototype. That's almost 30 minis on deck in the third pic

So at this stage, when I am happy with the geometry I start a test build and see how the parts go together. With the length of the hull reaching 50cm I knew I had to split parts to make them fit on A4/Letter pages. Also looking at the bow/stern sections I found I wanted to change the original unfold to resemble the flow of planks better.

My hope was that with a good job of texturing I would be able to hide the seams of the parts and make the hull look like one piece!

Let's see how that goes!
Attached Thumbnails
Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc02826.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc02825.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc02822.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03213.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03214.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 05-04-2022, 10:40 PM

To me there are two important things that make a Viking longship what it is ... the dragonhead and the shields! For the shields I am planning to either provide single shields you can place how you like or create a part that has a line of overlapping shields (much easier to cutout and handle).

So the first textured test build looked this. In the closeup you see the seem where the exterior hull parts meet and it breaks the illusion of the seamless hull. So I went and redesigned these parts to also follow the contour of planks and the second version looked much better. I think you really have to look closely to be able to see the seams now!

I had yet to make a dragonhead part. I have just duplicated the end "tail" spiral ornament for this build. Actually I hope to make a couple of dragonhead options (in case you want to build a fleet of different looking ships).

So the first dragonhead I found during research that I liked was one where the round shape is used. In the last testbuild I also added many options to the texturing that I found missing from the first. You can see nails where the planks join (esp. in the bow/stern section) or I have added closed caps for the openings where the rowing oars would go through.

So at this stage I am getting happy with the look and build of the hull!
Attached Thumbnails
Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03649.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03648.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03668.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03676.jpg  
Old 05-05-2022, 04:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
The texturing on the hull looks great. You're off to a great start.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 05-06-2022, 05:25 AM

Thanks you! Speaking of texturing ... here are a couple of pics showing my approach to the texturing. For the hull I laid out the parts as a whole and then painted the exterior and interior. Later I cut these into the smaller parts fitting on to the A4/Letter pages.

I have showed a couple of options I am adding to the set, like open or closed oar slots.
Attached Thumbnails
Viking Longship (waterline model)-first-tex-look-deck.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-first-tex-look-hull.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-first-tex-look-hull-int.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-interior-hull-question-railing.png  
Old 05-06-2022, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Floki would be proud. A suggestion for wood grain texture is to print it on watercolor paper.
Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2022, 05:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Looking at the figures of your Vikings I remembered The EMHAR Vikings Oarsmen 1/72 set, which was itself one of the best minifigures ever produced. I suppose they could be used to man the longship papermodel.

Plastic Soldier Review - Emhar Viking Oarsmen
Old 05-11-2022, 11:34 PM

Regarding the figures, I will try to setup some photos with some great PAPERminis! But for now I have been testing the first gaming testbuild with a bunch of plastic and metal minis I have collected years ago. Those EMHAR oarsmen do look great though. I have to see if I can commit one of my papermini-maker friends to make a seated figure!

With the mast and sail added the boat is starting to look like a real Viking Longship

As this set (like all my papercraft) is for gaming I wanted to see how much minis I can cram in on the deck space. Should be more than enough for serious gaming action!

One detail I added is the rudder! By gluing a cut-to-size toothpick for a handle it looks quite ok for the model. BTW the mast/sail part is removable for better storage.

This stage is very enjoyable for me as I can start to see the final set. I have yet to add a couple of options (esp the parts where you can store the mast and oars) and alternates and do the final build but I am very happy with how it is going.
Attached Thumbnails
Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03688.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03689.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03683.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03687.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03686.jpg  

Old 05-12-2022, 04:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
It's a fantastic model. You've dine a great job on the texture.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 05-12-2022, 05:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I agree with Gary. The textures came out great.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:34 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I have followed this with interest.

Papierschnitzel - excellent job - as always.

Tags
viking longship gaming