PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 12-07-2022, 01:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 117.37 MB
Reading threads like this makes me want to learn how to design models. I love your commitment to detail and love seeing your process. Maybe I'll have my own thread one day! Need to find some basic stuff that I want to learn with....
Old 01-24-2023, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Flight Deck and Hanger

Okay, it's been quite some time since I've been able to update.

As you may recall I completed the first deck, after doing all of the stairs I started detailing the flight deck working my way forward to the hanger.

Unfortunately I was delayed for a period of time as I had insufficient reference images until Stan and Craig accommodated me.

What took the greatest period of time was all of the exterior wiring on the hanger, in some areas it was like trying to knit spaghetti!

And again, these textures are generic meant to expedite the process.

Hanger is done, I haven't done anything above the hanger as that will be the first thing done when I move up to the next level.

Back on track now, I hope to move right along with all of the lockers and components around the base of the aft stack, after that the ASROC control, slowly working my way forward to the torpedo tubes.

This was specifically put out on a chroma key green (RGB values; 4,244,4 for an exact key) background for the amusement of the team's Emmy winning producer.

Two more, short animations are here-> HANGER - YouTube
And here-> FLIGHT DECK - YouTube

Yes, just wait, the paper models are coming...
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-orleck-temp0121.jpeg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-orleck-temp0122.jpeg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-orleck-temp0123.jpeg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-orleck-temp0124.jpeg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-orleck-temp0125.jpeg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-orleck-temp0126.jpeg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-orleck-temp0127.jpeg  
Old 02-03-2023, 06:22 AM

recognition:

I am now an "official" member of the museum staff (scroll down)
It's amazing what a paper model can do!
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-recognition.jpg  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
That is AWESOME!!
I hope to get down that way, some day, and see the ship!
Best regards,
Kurt
Old 02-03-2023, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
congratulations!
Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2023, 07:55 PM

Kurt, if you get down this way, I'll give you a tour of the ship, the actual museum building won't begin construction for another 18 months.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:51 AM

Status Report

This is the assessment I sent to the museum.

DD886 02/06/2023 (Status Report)

Okay gang, it's "official", we are now "cooking with fire!"
I met with Stan over lunch a little over a week ago and took possession of the Museum's new "Super Computer", a custom built, Lenovo P620 ThinkStation.

This computer was specifically specified to be as "future-proof" as possible, it features the latest AMD "Threadripper pro" CPU rated at 4 ghz.

We included 64 GB of ram as well as a Nvidia graphics adapter featuring an additional 20 GB of onboard ram.

Lenovo built its reputation on "durability" . I can attest as a "layman" this thing is "built like a tank" and, "weighs a ton!"

It came with a three year, on site, parts and labor warranty (can't beat that)

The first three days were spent physically setting up the machine and getting the software (Autocad 23) installed.

The computer was specified to meet or exceed our minimum requirements for advanced animation and video production without any unnecessary, excess expenditure.

It then took me two more days to get the drawing loaded into Autocad with its hundreds of external references files intact.

This was followed by three days of render testing, not the computer's capabilities so much as the capabilities of Autocad. (I purposely "maxed it out" to ascertain it's limits)

The new machine was run for 3 days straight, rendering one after the other. (I wanted to keep it busy)

These are my initial assessments:

The computer boots up quickly but MS requires an account password or pin number to login, for sake of convenience and expediency, I'd like to get around this but haven't had the time.

Autocad 23 is loaded and fully functional, my earlier version was 5 years older but the new one is instantly recognizable, having all of the same command driven functions, the ONLY difference that I can perceive is the actual GUI.

Autocad loads up in less than a minute, and the drawing itself then loads in about 15 seconds.

Once the drawing is loaded it takes another 90 seconds to load the render engine, once it is loaded, still frame renderings can be done very quickly in rapid succession if necessary.

I will submit to you the first test "FLYBY TEST 01"
FLYBY TEST 01 - YouTube

the purpose of this test was to illustrate both the capabilities and limitations of Autocad.

Testing Autocad's maximum rendering capabilities, it is the same video flyby that I sent, the differences being, due to the limitations of my old machine, the previous rendering that you have seen so far have been at 15fps, this one is put out at 30 fps the earlier rendering was 70 seconds long, this test is 90 seconds long.

The earlier one took over 30 hours to render at a resolution of 800 x 600 whereas this test took 23:28 hours to render at acad's max of 1024 x 768.

While rendering the CPU clocked at a solid 3.98 ghz, only 21% of the 64 gb of ram was used and only 2-3% of the video ram was used.

This is nowhere near the resolution required for high end video production, while acad does have limited rendering and animation features, it is to design the model, these renderings that you see only serve ONE PURPOSE, and that is for me to check for errors as I progress, once the model is complete, it will then be imported into another Autodesk product called "MAYA".

MAYA is recognized as an industry standard in advanced animation, advanced (photo-realistic) texturing and high definition video output, the previous submission of the textured drone engine was done in MAYA (not Autocad) where advanced texturing, animation and video production can be done.

I would then submit this test, "WALK TEST 01
WALK TEST 01 - YouTube

It's pretty boring, at first you don't notice any movement but wait for it.

While this test may appear to be insignificant, quite the opposite as it demonstrates a new animation feature never attempted on my old machine because I knew it's limitations and didn't have a week to render it!.

We are just getting started, as Stan and I discussed over lunch, "shifting into second gear", this week will be devoted to exploring these new animation and rendering options, I will update soon.

Progress thus far has been witnessed 18,000 times on the international forum.

Have a good day and, "stay tuned"!

-Fred

And yes, please be patient, the card models ARE definitely a "priority" but I've got to get this CGI model done first, then it's just a matter of breaking it down into it's 2D components.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:36 AM

Trivia:

Just for the record, while this CGI model is only 50% complete, I have already drawn over 41,000 individual objects and I expect that number to go up, either way, it is one heck of a lot of drawing!
Old 03-21-2023, 08:04 AM

Sorry about the delay guys, it's not like I've not been busy.

Yeah, sure I could have posted the latest "Status Report" sent to the museum detailing the move of the CGI model from Autodesk Autocad to Autodesk Maya for more advanced texturing, animation and digital output and the different types of modeling (Solids vs. Surfaces) it requires but it would have bored you senseless so I chose not to post anything at all. (but I haven't forgotten about you!)
Old 04-04-2023, 03:47 AM

Yay!

Yay! (finally) the ship was moved after a year at it's temporary location in front of the Hyatt Regency Hotel on the Jacksonville (Florida) waterfront to it's permanent mooring only 0.8 K downstream (0.5 miles).

A number of various representatives and media were onboard for the short move, stern first downstream.

As it was maneuvered by a team of four tugboats to put the ship into it's berth stern first, the last 30.5 M (100') was the most difficult because it was definitely pushing up silt and the propulsion and steering gear hung up in the deep sediment.

One tugboat then positioned it's self so that it's prop-wash would disperse the silt beneath the stern.

As you can see, the tugs are churning up mud of their own and the ship isn't moving.

After an hour and a half of "brute force" the bow of the ship was eventually made close enough to the dock for the gangway to be lowered and those onboard could debark.

After the lines were thrown and believing they had progressed as much as could be expected and would be reattempting at the next prevailing tide, I left as the stern was still some distance from the pier.
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-001.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-002.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-003.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-004.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-005.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-006.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-007.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-008.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-009.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-010.jpg