PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 11-01-2023, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Aansorge, these funnels you will find are "mathematically correct", I just "do the math" and am as surprised as anyone as to the results of the calculations.

I have several thousand images of every inch of this ship from every conceivable distance and angle, I can assure you that if nothing else, they are mathematically correct for this particular ship with the exception being the cowling but that will be corrected as well.
Old 11-01-2023, 10:24 AM

The images are imported into Acad and scaled to "real world" values, once scaled, I can then measure everything in the photo down to mere fractions of a scale inch, it is very time consuming but very, very accurate.
Old 11-01-2023, 04:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
Unfortunately, I did not have your model when I built one for my father.

I think we are all impressed at your methodology as demonstrated by the extremely tight prototype.

Knowing what needs to be done to maintain scale is hard enough, being able to repeatedly follow the steps is truly impressive.

I enjoy the privilege of watching the model come to life.
Old 11-02-2023, 06:51 AM

Torpedo tubes (?)

Okay, the last to go on are the torpedo tubes and this clearly demonstrates the differences between this prototype and the STEM model.

These torpedo tubes are difficult for the experienced and a "great leap" for the novice, the point is to get the part count down by simplification.

These tube assemblies have a total of NINE parts each whereas the simple, triangular representations have only TWO parts each and even that can be simplified to ONE singular part by eliminating the support ring and placing it directly on the deck.

Big difference between nine parts and one.

(it doesn't get any more simple than that)
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-03.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-04.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-05.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-06.jpg  
Old 11-06-2023, 07:28 AM

Lower assembly complete

So the entire, lower assembly is complete and will be set aside temporarily as I dive back into 3D and do the remaining components, that would be the Fore and Aft mast, the Drone, the Small Boat and six ladders that will complete the model.

These were put off until the very last as they all require "specific attention" and I first wanted to make sure that everything under them fit.
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-03.jpg  
Old 11-10-2023, 06:38 AM

Numbers

This is a pretty clear illustration of how "the numbers add up" (quickly)

For this example I'll use the flight deck netting, more specifically, just ONE of the webbing fasteners from the CGI model.

Note that the "textures" are "generic" as all of that will be done after the CGI model is completed and will be done in MAYA.

This one fastener seems simple enough but there are a lot of them, when selected initially, you can see that they are comprised of two "solids".

I model in solids rather than surfaces because the computer will interpret a complex shape as one, single, virtual "solid".

When these two solids are "exploded" into their basic, surface components, two solid objects suddenly become 20 "surface" objects (having no virtual "mass")

To create the parts for the model, these netting's are doubled to create the netting printed on both sides when assembled.

This netting alone, when imported into 2D was well over 17,000 individual objects.
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-03.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-04.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-05.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-06.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-07.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-08.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-09.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-10.jpg  

Old 11-14-2023, 06:39 AM

Fore Mast

What I'm doing now is designing the Fore Mast assembly, it's a little trickier than it looks.

On a proposed "Museum Edition", a model of twice the scale and tenfold number of parts, designed specifically for the "card model enthusiast" (what I am).

In that scenario, in the larger scale, I'd model each and every tube for the mast structure, however, for the novice, it will be much, much more simple.
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-03.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-04.jpg  
Old 11-20-2023, 08:33 AM

Bedframe:

Those of you that have followed this thread from the beginning know that the CGI model has not yet been fully detailed.

The fore mast was "roughed out" but was far from detailed, a small "hitch" being the misconfiguration of the "Bed Springs" or if you prefer, "Bed Frame" (Large Radar)

What you see here is a "first draft", the Cyan lines represent the singular, part outline.

The Magenta lines are merely reference lines that will be used in detailing.

The Green lines are the fold lines, however, after looking at these close ups, I see some revisions that I will have to make.
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-bedspring-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-bedspring-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-bedspring-03.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-03.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-04.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-05.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-06.jpg  
Old 11-20-2023, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.01 GB
Amazing work!!!! Bravo!!!!!
Old 12-04-2023, 02:49 PM

Fore Mast

It took a little "doing" but I got the Fore Mast designed and ready to assemble, this offered some very specific challenges, how to simplify what is a very complex mast structure with as few parts as possible.

The tower structure, is primarily a "tetrahedron" (three sided pyramid), the tower as well as the various support structures require have a good number of openings, for the novice, these openings will merely be 2D representations of openings but if someone (me) was "ambitious", I'd assemble this with all of the openings removed for "full effect".

The part that I find most interesting is the base of the bed frame, it is a uniform, four sides at the bottom but once folded, transitions at the top
to an irregular, angular pentagon.

Okay, this complex prototype has about 30 parts for the mast alone but for the novice that will only be around 10 parts (+/-).

let's now see what this thing looks like assembled.

(standby)
Attached Thumbnails