PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 12-05-2023, 02:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Aansorge, it just occurred to me that for years I "progressively" tried to talk Marji into going to the IPMC when she was doing her "lil' Inns"...

I almost had her talked into it in 2020 but she died before we could attend, I was thinking that maybe I should put it on my "bucket list" and attend in her memory... (I wouldn't rule it out)... Having known her well, she would probably want me to attend at least once...

Last edited by FRD; 12-05-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:50 AM

Bed Springs

This seems simple enough but is actually very interesting from a geometric perspective, it's the bed springs and it's base.

What makes it unique is that, at the base of the mount, it is essentially a four sided square, that has been rotated 45 degrees but as it progresses upward, it widens and rotate back 45 degrees but it is now an "irregular hexagon",(how did that happen?), that would be a very good lesson in advanced geometry for the student to "test their newly acquired skills" on the more advanced model (this should be fun...)
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-03.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-04.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-05.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-06.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-08.jpg  

Last edited by FRD; 12-13-2023 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-15-2023, 07:10 AM

Mast

As I mentioned, for the STEM model, the mast is simply a modified tetrahedron as none of the openings will be removed, however, for other purposes, I took the time to remove the opening to assess "full effect".

It is actually this B/W prototype that tends to become "most valuable" as there is only one "first" so I normally keep these for myself but this one I wanted to "clearly illustrate the potential" so I took the time to remove the openings.

It will then be signed, dated and secured in a very lightweight, Mylar "dust case", this allows for easy, continuous handling without any potential for damage.

It will be gifted to my dear friends with the museum as a reward for their patience.

The mast is mounted at three points, the center of the signal structure and then at two trailing points on that deck.

The first five images show the STEM version, not glued in anyway, merely placed for "illustration".

Trust me guys, this is about to get very, very "interesting" (stay tuned)
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-03.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-04.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-05.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-06.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-07.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-08.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-09.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-10.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-11.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-12.jpg  
Old 12-17-2023, 02:29 PM

Componants

I took the time to assemble what I could before adding those to the tower, having removed all of the openings merely to "explore it's potential", the STEM model of course will have neither the openings or the railings or platform supports so it will be simplified considerably.
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-03.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-04.jpg  
Old 12-20-2023, 08:56 AM

Platforms

The various platforms were assembled by inverting them to add all of the supports before adding the sub-assemblies to the tower.

And of course, these additional features are only on the advanced model, I didn't have to, "get intricate about it" but me, being an, "avid enthusiast" myself am simultaneously designing a model that I personally would enjoy assembling.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 12-20-2023, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
Your design work is awesome, and so are your building skills!
Kurt
Old 12-20-2023, 07:53 PM

Thanks Kurt!...
Old 12-21-2023, 01:43 PM

Ya' kno' Kurt, if you are ever in the neighborhood, look me up and I'll give you a tour.
Old 12-22-2023, 07:09 AM

Yay!

Yay! (let the fun begin)...
Being an avid enthusiast of the art form, it was essential that I design a model that I personally enjoy assembling because, as a "promotion tool" I will eventually be assembling them at a pace of three at a time.

Unlike other designer's priorities in design, my priorities are "ease of assembly" for a good number of reasons.

This mast is no exception, it basically starts by adding the initial ladder followed by the first platform sub-assembly and this is where it gets "interesting".

Those who have followed the thread may be aware that the ship proudly served for 18 years in the Turkish Navy before being returned to the U.S. for "historic preservation".

As I understand it, there is a tradition in the Muslim faith to put a "prayer book"(?) at the highest location of a structure, on this Ship, it was put on the mast to accommodate the faith of the crew.

This small, angular structure is referred to as the "prayer room" or "prayer hut" if you prefer.

There was some debate as to whether or not to keep it as it was not original to the ship but it was wisely decided that it was in fact an integral part of the ship's long history and now, an integral part of Jacksonville's History of which we are very proud.

While it will not be featured on the simplified model, it will however be featured on the more advanced model.
Attached Thumbnails

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-mast-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-mast-02.jpg  
Old 12-26-2023, 07:23 AM

Upper mast

With the prayer hut attached I was then able to attach the horizontal spars and their support and then the first Radar platform, on the STEM model, these again will be modified tetrahedrons with no openings to be removed.

With those in place, it then allowed me to position the Radar and it's base.
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-00.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-03.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-04.jpg