PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-08-2024, 07:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Just to mind everyone what I'm, "up to", this is the Boeing T50-4 turboshaft, this model was done by my, "Guru" Blind Mojo Johnny who, I'm happy to say, will be, "onboard" perhaps in May.
His specialties include modeling, animation and photo-realism, an absolute, "phenom" at what he does and he is, "more than welcome".
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-1206-1.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-1207-2.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-1207-3.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-index.jpg  
Old 03-19-2024, 12:31 PM

Well, we all get older, I had a bit of a bout for a week and then another recovery but I'm "back in the saddle again".

As many of you may know, I drew the drone while waiting to photo the port side of the ship, the model that you saw was done using only FIVE reference photos and all of them were from perspectives.

Needless to say, I am now overwhelmed with reference images and have concluded that I was "way off", so, the delay is that I'm salvaging what I can by re-scaling and redrawing what can't be salvaged but I am, "on the upward swing" having the frame re-established.

So, these are, "conceptual" renderings meant only to enhance visibility when working on the CGI model, once all of the modeling is done I'll work on final textures.
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-03.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-04.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-05.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-06.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-07.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-08.jpg  
Old 03-21-2024, 07:19 AM

So it's time to, "get serious" about the Boeing turbo-shaft, I was just VERY FORTUNATE that someone was thoughtful enough to get profiles of it.
The first thing that I do is scale the images to "real world" dimensions, once scaled, it allows me to measure anything in the image down to 1/100,000 of a scale inch if I wanted to.

I have some done but it is now time to, "delve headlong" into it, as easy as it may look, converting 2D images to plotted 3D space isn't as easy as it sound's and neither is going to be sorting this out in 3D.
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-03.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-04.jpg  
Old 03-21-2024, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 185.31 MB
Hey FRD
I noticed you do not get many responses to your thread. That may make you feel like the caller in the desert. Don't let this discourage you from posting. I read every one of your posts and am looking forward to the next one. Moreover, I am sure I am not the only one.
Your work is awesome! Carry on!
Toodles
Hornswoggler
Old 03-21-2024, 01:04 PM

Horns!, I'm glad to know that someone is paying attention!, the views were climbing and I had no idea why!
Old 03-21-2024, 01:43 PM

Things are about to get, "very interesting" when I move up to all of the rotor linkage.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:34 PM

Up close and Personal

I was honored to attend a recent event onboard to honor First Responders, this gave ma a much needed opportunity to have a half hour of uninterrupted, "quality time" with the drone.

As that is what I'm currently modeling, I knew EXACTLY what details I was missing so I literally photographed, "every last, little, nook, crack and cranny", need a close up of a Boeing Turbo-shaft oil filter? (I may have one)

This is just the "tip of the iceberg" as I now have to import all of these reference images and scale them as needed.

I'm not being, "biased" when having done my research, there are approximately 30 of these still in existence but ONLY SEVEN in various states of restoration, currently on display at museums (I could be wrong)

But as I can say as a fact, of all of them that I've seen, ours is by far, "The prettiest drone I've ever seen!", they did a fantastic restoration, "showroom new" absolutely flawless, absolutely remarkable.

The Rotors will be left off for several reasons, firstly, they are currently being restored and will then be displayed in the Hanger, secondly, the drone tends to be, "mobile" in that it can be moved in and out of the hanger if needed to accommodate occasions and events, and lastly, if the rotors were mounted, a strong wind could cause "auto-gyration", "counter rotating", it would, "be a mess".

This is going to be several posts in quick succession so, "Stay Tuned".
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-03.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-04.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-05.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-06.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-07.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-08.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-09.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-10.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-11.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-12.jpg  
Old 03-25-2024, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
SHOCK and AWE ! This project is way out there! I certainly will be a follower.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:52 AM

Thanks missileer...
Old 03-26-2024, 05:54 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
This isn't just a build thread.
It's an adventure.
Google Adsense