PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 04-13-2024, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I apologize for the delay, I'm currently doing the page layup and it is CRITICAL that everything is in it's proper place before the dies are made because once that expense is met, these parts aren't changing.

My intent is to have the first, "exemplary die cut card model" and that is going to take, EXACT REGISTRY on both the printing, die making and die cutting, PRECISION die making and cutting is neither cheap or easy so I have, "one shot at it" to "get it right"

Not only all of the lines will be cut but a template will be made for all of the score lines that will simply be "compacted" by a non sharp die, same as scoring with no residual ink loss. (we'll see how this works out)

Nearing the end of page layup now, I'll be lining up die makers on Monday, while the dies are being made I'll be doing all of the 2D graphics , the next prototype I assemble will be the full color, simplified, student version minus the die cutting.

Last edited by FRD; 04-13-2024 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:10 AM

Page layup

This is why I've, "been so quiet", page layup, yeah, sure, it looks, "simple" and, "boring" (and it is) but it requires that a lot of thought be put into the placement to allow proper margins for the die cutting.

This process allows me to get all of the parts numbered (in their order of application) and to get a final part count.

To illustrate this, note the parts and numbers in blue, these are, "optional" or, "noncritical" parts put add a great deal to the 3D aesthetics, for example, the winch and fanfare on the fantail fall in to this category and can be sacrificed if necessary to get the part count down.
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_002_tmp.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_004_tmp.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_006_tmp.jpg  
Old 04-21-2024, 02:28 PM

Micro DASH

It's like my Momma always used to tell me when i was a small boy, "we don't like it when you're quiet, it makes us wonder what you are into".

I've got the page layup done for the student version, exactly 100 parts on seven part sheets.

So I'm "rapping up loose ends" on this B/W prototype so I can get it into it's case and to good friends of the Jacksonville Naval Museum as a reward for their patience.

The drone is VERY small, measuring less than one inch long (25mm) and only about 3/16 (4mm) at the widest point, there are ten parts in that VERY SMALL area and includes the torpedo load.

Even the underside of the air-frame is detailed, not that it will ever be seen by anyone other than the builder but my core philosophy is, "it's nice to know that it's there".

My models are meant to be looked at with magnification and you will find that the closer you look, the more you will see.

I have only the 26 foot motor whale boat and six ladders to model and this thing is ready for it's case, the case I speak of is unique, I designed it 40+ years ago and it is PERFECT for paper models as this case is equally light weight and was designed to be handled repeatedly just as you would the model but protected. (stay tuned)
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-03.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-04.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-05.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-06.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-07.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-08.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-09.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-10.jpg  

Old 04-21-2024, 03:43 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
I salute your work creating that drone.
You packed a lot of detail into its very small dimensions.
Old 04-21-2024, 03:48 PM

Yeah Michael, and it seemed to get smaller as I assembled it!

I will actually enlarge it 10+% for the advanced version.
Old 04-21-2024, 04:08 PM

I could have trimmed out the pivot of that top rotor a little more but didn't think of it until it was in place, I think I'll remove that top rotor in place and replace it with a trimmed out one.
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

Rotor

Okay, so I trimmed out that top rotor and it looks MUCH better, note the rectangular column supporting the rotors is noticeably void, on the finished model this would be detailed with the linkage configuration that is also rectangular but now is not the time for that.

Now moving on to the small boat, that shouldn't take long.
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-01.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-02.jpg  
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

Remember, my objective is not to see how well I can assemble but rather, how FAST (and easy) I can build them as I'm not a skilled modeler, nothing makes me more proud than when I see someone build one of these and they do a better job of it than I do!