PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 05-31-2023, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Awesome. My son Kenny installed the internet cables into the ship a while back. He was working for Advance Business Solutions at the time, and he was so happy to get to go into the ship. It was a good couple of days work for him. Thank you for working on this!
Old 06-01-2023, 04:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
CT, that's good to know that there is a "common connection" here on the forum!
Old 06-14-2023, 05:56 PM

Okay, tomorrow I'll start prototyping the Card Model to introduce STEM students to 3D modeling.

It's neither quick, easy nor pretty, kinda like watching sausage being made.

I'm really looking forward to it because a little "paper-therapy" would do me good right now...

So let's watch this thing take shape in paper.

This model will be VERY simple, the target number is 100 parts or less so it will be pretty "rudimentary" from an "enthusiast" perspective.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:20 AM

YAY! (Finally!)

After a six month "diversionary deployment", I'm finally back in my "home port" (card modeling) and it sure feels good!

Okay, This is going to go fairly rapidly so let's get right to it, this is the prototyping of the Model to introduce S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Students to the Museum's CADD, 3D and Animation program.

I know that I'll "catch flak" from the "heavy-handers" but I ALWAYS recommend a transparent straight edge for scoring just as Lou Dausse told me to do more than 40 years ago (it still works) That way, it's a "convenient time-saver" because you can easily see the next line to be scored and it can then be easily adjusted without having to lift from the surface to find your next line.

It just so happens that I have been "appealing to the Novice" for decades, that's why a good number of my models are kept as simple as absolutely possible, I want their FIRST card model to be a "pleasant" and even more importantly, "Successful", first endeavor into the "realm of possibilities" as it was for me 40 years ago.

This first image is of five "test sheets" holding the 28 parts that make up the hull and first deck superstructure.

The SCALE and COMPLEXITY from the beginning, commanded a good amount of very careful consideration, I settled on 1/200 (as apposed to 1/400) this model assembled is approximately 23.5 inches (60 cm) long and 2.5 inches (6.35 cm) wide.

This is a "B/W prototype" because, why would I invest time and ink into parts that don't fit?, all of these reference lines you see will be gone when I do all of the 2D graphics, for that I'll be using CorelDraw (and have for decades)

You may note the irregularities of the card stock on the deck and hull of this prototype, it's due to it being constructed only 90 lb (163 GSM) card stock whereas the full color print will be on 120 (324 GSM) so I don't believe this will be an issue when on the heavier stock.

My personal, technique as a "paper purist" is to design the sub-assembly to "do the job" using using 90 degree bends or "tabs" not only to hold glue but more importantly, add rigidity to the various elements of the structural design.

While initially this may seem "flimsy" but quite the opposite as these various elements, when all are secured, the whole actually becomes quite rigid.

Again, to minimize parts, every other structural "bulkhead" is in tandem with another, this really makes assembly quick and "applicable".

I'll discuss later in detail why this scale was chosen over 1/400, the "pro's and "con's" of each scale as it pertains to this specific application.

The "threshold" for this particular model being right at 100 parts (+/) There are a good number a smaller, 3D features that can be included in this scale but I'll first get a the total part count before I start adding to it with smaller details.

This scale was chosen because it will allow (to a minimal degree) that the Capstan and Fanfare on the stern of the ship as well as the drone may also have a "rudimentary" form of "3D representation" whereas with 1/400, they would have been merely very small, 2D "splotches" on the deck, likewise with the drone.

My philosophy is that any 3D representation is better than none.

Next I'll do the first deck railing and again, this was given a lot of very careful consideration, I'll then add the sides but to do so, I'll have to first add the second deck and superstructure beneath the bridge, add the turrets and I'll have the first deck pretty much done.

While on the second deck, I'll add the flight deck railing, hanger, ASROC, etc.

(This should be fun!)
Attached Thumbnails
DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_001.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_002.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_003.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_004.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_005.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_006.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_007.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_008.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_009.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_010.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_011.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_012.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_013.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_014.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_015.jpg  

DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_016.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_017.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_018.jpg   DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process-stem_proto_019.jpg  
Old 06-28-2023, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
This is awesome! I'm so glad you are using regular paper frames with tabs instead of cardboard frames -- it is plenty strong (even for a 4-foot long USS Forrestal) and more fun to cut and build.

It will be fun to see this model come together.

Best regards,
Kurt
Google Adsense
Old 06-29-2023, 09:34 AM

Now that I've had the time to actually look at these images, the "bowing" of the deck material could easily be remedied by applying the first deck superstructure to the DECK FIRST, then applying that assembly to the hull sub-assembly (problem solved)

Another purpose of this B/W prototype is to "Identify bugs and kill them" and those may be something as simple as "ease of assembly" issues as I will build at least one (+) of these in B/W, one (+) in Color.

Depending on the model, I'll make quite a few, If I'm not mistaken, I've assembled the Monitor model about 5 (+/-) times, some of the little inn's even more... (don't care to do it again)...

You may also notice that the deck is just a little too far back in these images as the guidelines on the bow and hull would indicate, solution?, aligning marks on the deck and substructure. (that's how you learn)...
Old 06-30-2023, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Very nicely done, Sir. Pukka and brilliant, makles me smile to see it.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:03 AM

Another noteworthy thing you may notice is that you are primarily "relegated" to CUTTING "glue tabs", (not parts) if you screw up, it's no problem as long as it is SCORED correctly to form the parts, you will still get "predictable results" even if the builder's "cutting skills" are "novice", having no effect on the formation of the actual part.

This is not by "happenstance" as I'd rather have them cutting glue tabs to begin with than parts until they can "get a proper handle" on the knife...

And, we really haven't ruled in or out die cutting in the future, I'm actually counting the scoring, cutting, folding and assembly time separately, the purpose being that the vast bulk of the assembly time is in cutting and scoring and this can be eliminated with state of the art, PRECISION die cutting but it's not cheap or easy, but I also believe, that if the museum chose to apply that option, it could be done.

It would require PRECISE cutting and scoring and if you have the money, there are places that can do it...

Last edited by FRD; 07-01-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-01-2023, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Fred,

the detail on the main deck superstructure will make this model stand out.

jim
Old 07-03-2023, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the "vote of confidence" Jim!...