PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.67 MB
Pond Racer

I'm a new member around here, and in my 'hello' post I mentioned a model of the Pond Racer that I wanted to put up; here's a picture.. It was originally designed for FG, so it has a bit of a FG look/feel to it. Chip was willing to take it, but I don't really need the money/hassle, so here it is for free..

It was put together with Inkscape a couple years ago, and occasionally has problems printing from the PDF. If you have trouble, let me know and I will see what I can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond Racer-img_4133.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-01-2009, 04:32 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Interesting model, I do not remember seeing this one. Do you mind if it is modified with a cockpit interior and does it have landing gears? Another query, Is there a build thread on it?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
File is now approved Neat looking model.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Eternal Member

Thank you, downloaded it and is in my to do list.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
Interesting model, I do not remember seeing this one. Do you mind if it is modified with a cockpit interior and does it have landing gears? Another query, Is there a build thread on it?

It was designed by Burt Rutan for the Reno unlimited races -- only one was built.

There's no cockpit for it, but there is enough source material on the internet you could make one if you're interested.

It comes with simple landing gear, go crazy if you want. Like I said, it was designed for Chip, so I kept a lot of that pretty simple.

No build thread, I suppose I could make another one with pictures, but I've done 3 already, so it would be lovely if someone else did one. It makes a very nice model.
Google Adsense
Old 09-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Eternal Member

You are right about the pdf conflict with the printers, both my Hp and Cannon print the sheets out completely in black with white outlines for the model. Can you make them into jpegs and rar it?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
You are right about the pdf conflict with the printers, both my Hp and Cannon print the sheets out completely in black with white outlines for the model. Can you make them into jpegs and rar it?

Weird, haven't had that problem before -- usually some of the gradients are a little odd (the canopy seems to have that problem...), but the colors come out.

The whole thing is vector (if you zoom in far enough, you can see the text on the prop logos). It could be converted to Jpeg, but.. ugh.

I will load it in to a new build of Inkscape tonight when I get home and see what I can do. Oh, and I'll try Illustrator too...

And what software/operating system were you using?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Eternal Member

Windows Vista on my laptop and Millenium on my desktop
Old 09-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Eternal Member

Re downloaded the pond racer with vista and it works ok now. Must be a conflict with millenium.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Re downloaded the pond racer with vista and it works ok now. Must be a conflict with millenium.

There's definitely something happening though -- the shadows textures for the control surfaces have some problems (viewing with xpdf and Linux), and the instruction sheet is a little weird (some of the line widths are too wide, and some of the graphics are filled with black), pdf has problems with transparent gradients sometimes... ugh.

Everytime I look at the sheets for this thing in a different environment (Mac, PC, Linux...) it looks different. I probably need to load it into some Adobe product, make sure everything is right, and save it there.
Google Adsense