Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-14-2023, 09:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks terrific!

Don
Old 03-15-2023, 08:43 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thanks, Don. I've just begun the first step of the detailing process. First, I added lines to indicate the individual panels of armor. Then I drew on a drivers hatch, and a likely location in the front hull for a viewing port and a second machine gun, which some sources say the tank was equipped with (although it's not apparent in the period side view photo). The turret will come later, but in this step, I estimated its size and determined where it will be placed. I made copies of the various hatches and other parts that will be layered on for a better look during assembly. Due to a lack of pictorial evidence, the shape of the front hull and all these additional details are just conjecture of course, but they seem likely.

I have a page sized texture file that I use as the base for most of my armor recolors. I adjust the lightness/darkness, color/hue and saturation of this page for each model. The original image was a free downloadable concrete floor texture. Its random splotches of dark and light are much more interesting than a monochrome color, I think. Anyway, I select the entire customized texture page and copy it. Then on the model page I use the magic wand tool to select the areas that are to be colored and utilize the "paste into" function to fill them. I found a free screen/grate image online that was appropriate for the engine cover. I copied the image and filled the space in the same manner as described above.

Ink is expensive, and there's no point in adding color/texture to areas that will ultimately be hidden due to layering or be buried under another subassembly, so I intentionally leave those areas white.

The next step will be to add further details to the model such as rivets, highlights and shadows.
Attached Thumbnails
Barbastro tank SCW-development3.jpg  
Old 03-15-2023, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
This is a great thread for me. I've always wanted to desing something myself a now I get too see how it's done. Subject is interesting and you've done very fine job with the tectures. Please advise the next steps in detail (rivets, panel lines, highlights & shadows in detail if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.

Tappi
Old 03-17-2023, 08:01 AM

Thank you for your interest, Tappi. I can explain my approach and supply some details of how I work with Photoshop, but unless you have Photoshop yourself, the information will be of limited use to you, I'm afraid.

I think my years as a painter of military miniatures influenced my approach to coloring/texturing paper models. In that hobby, we imagine a light source (usually coming from above), that determines where we paint highlights and shadows onto the figure for a more realistic scale appearance. Scale modeling is akin to looking at a subject from a distance, so details have to be accentuated or they will be lost. This is why stage actors wear such garish makeup. It looks ridiculous up close, but from the viewpoint of the audience it looks "scale" correct. Without it, the actor's face would appear as a flesh-colored featureless blob. At 1/1 scale, the highlights and shadows provided by natural light is scale correct. The further away an object is from the viewer, i.e. the smaller the scale, the more garish the details need to be in order to appear correct.

When I color/texture a tank model, I imagine a light source coming from above and a bit to the front - say 11 o'clock. Anything that protrudes from the surface - a rivet for example, would have a highlight on its topside/frontside and a shadow on the underside/backside. This 3D approach offers far more realism than the commonly used open circle/donut or black dot. I handle panel lines in the same way. A black line indicates the juncture of 2 panels. Since I assume a light source from above and to the front, a highlight line drawn directly behind the black line provides a more realistic scale appearance. I handle cylinders (gun barrel, fuel tank, etc) the same way. When I edge paint layered items such as hatches, I take the light direction into account, and paint the edges that face the light source with highlight color, and the edges that face away much darker, often black. I usually surround layered parts with halo of shadow to make them pop.

The way I draw 3D rivets in Photoshop is to select the brush tool and select a hard edge size that I like. Then I go to the brushes menu and select brush tip shape which allows me to establish spacing of the black dots. Once I've established a dot spacing that I like, I place my first dot at the beginning of the row, hold down the shift key, and place the cursor where I want the last dot in the row to be, and hit enter. Voila, a row of black dots appears. After all the rivets are in place, I select them all and using either the brush or eraser tool paint a highlight individually on each rivet. It's important to visualize what the part will look like when assembled so the highlight color is painted onto the correct side of the rivet. This is labor intensive, and I'm very sure there are more efficient ways in the program to accomplish this task.

Let me say, despite using Photoshop for years, my knowledge of the program is rudimentary. I would rather build models that spend time exploring the capabilites of the program or learning new design software. I know enough to get by - barely. There are functions like emboss that, after a light direction is established, would automatically render uniform highlights and shadows to the entire page to make the parts more 3D in appearance. But...once the part is cut out and folded, the software placed highlights/shadows may be on the wrong side of the 11 o'clock light source. I've seen this phenomenon in some published models: on one side of the model, we have the appearance of 3D protruding rivets, and on the other side it appears that the rivets are recessed because the highlights/shadows are oriented upside down to the 11 o'clock light source.

Attached is my final development of the hull. I've added the parts that are to be layered, as well as a muffler. Assuming that the tank had mufflers, it's unknown where it/they were located. Both the resin models place a single muffler on the right side of the tank, so I went along with conventional wisdom. To make the muffler, I selected a diameter and length that looked about right. I multiplied this diameter by 3.14 to determine the width needed to wrap around the end pieces. I then painted a shadowed area on the hull where the muffler will be placed.

I'm going to start building the hull next. I'll post a few photos of the completed subassembly and describe any problems that I encountered along the way. I don't anticipate any, but you never know.
Attached Thumbnails
Barbastro tank SCW-development4.jpg  
Old 03-18-2023, 03:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
have to say thats some good looking work well done
Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2023, 03:22 AM

Thank you Don taking the time to explain your method. I have Photoshop (I use it to edit my photographs) so I'm familiar with the sofware. I'll start practicing now. Great looking work with the Barbastro.

Tappi
Old 03-18-2023, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great, and I enjoyed the narrative!

Don too
Old 03-20-2023, 06:33 AM

Many thanks for your comments, Rifleman, Don and Tappi. Tappi, it sounds like your familiarity with Photoshop is much greater than mine, so the following explanation of how I paint a shadow around hatches, etc is most likely unnecessary: using the magic wand tool I select the area on which the shadow is to be placed. Using either the brush or eraser tool, with an appropriate sized brush and the shadow tone selected, place the center of the brush cursor in one corner of the hatch and left click the mouse. While holding down the shift key, go the next corner, center the cursor and left click again. Repeat until the hatch is surrounded with the shadow tone.

Anyway, the construction of the painted hull went just as smoothly as the B&W alpha build. This time I laminated fine and smooth 1mm corrugated cardboard from a wine glass container to each interior surface. I apply a thin coat of glue to the finished glossy side of the cardboard because the corrugation texture is nearly undetectable. I find that finished corrugated cardboard warps less than regular cardboard. Because of the reinforcement, I had to cut down the internal spine and relocate the valley folds on the wide flap that's folded down and glued to the interior of the hull.

I'm disappointed in the thickness of the hatches and hinges. Instead of doubling the parts as I should have, I glued them onto scrap cardboard from a .25mm Raisin Bran box. The appearance is very WH40K.

I've attached a few photos of the finished hull. Next I think I'll work on the turret. The two period photos don't offer much in the way of detail, so I'll refer to the resin models when designing it.

Stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails
Barbastro tank SCW-build11.jpg   Barbastro tank SCW-build12.jpg   Barbastro tank SCW-build13.jpg  
Old 03-20-2023, 10:22 AM

No unnecessary info here Don. I'm taking notes and enjoying the thread. Tank looks fab.

Tappi
Old 03-20-2023, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
looking great cant wait to see more fine work
Google Adsense