PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 05-17-2023, 08:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.1 KB
How on earth do you make instructions for your models?

I understand how to design the templates themselves, but the instructions with drawings diagrams etc, do you sketch it with a pencil, and scan it, or something else, ANY help is appreciated!
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2023, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm not sure my answer will be of any use to you, but I use the same software for instructions and explanations as I do for my model plans. The main program I use is one I've written myself but for anything two-dimensional like model plans, you could use MetaPost. My program (GNU 3DLDF) writes MetaPost code as its output and the language is very similar to the MetaPost language, and the METAFONT language, on which the latter is based.

Of course, it is possible to make diagrams and write instructions by hand and scan them in, as well.

My program has been available (as Free Software) for almost 20 years but it doesn't appear that anyone uses it except me. MetaPost does have users.

Then I use TeX to include the EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) figures that are the output of MetaPost and for running text. MetaPost is fairly easy to learn. This is the manual: https://www.tug.org/docs/metapost/mpman.pdf

I always post the source code for my model plans. This is an example:

The GNU 3DLDF Astronomy Page

It's a set of plans for a model of a celestial sphere.

You'll find links to more model plans of mine: The GNU 3DLDF Sphere and Dome Models Page

The title of the page is wrong. It's the "Models Page". There must be a typo in my HTML code. The plans for sphere and dome models are on a separate page.

You could have a look at the `*.ldf' and `*.lmc' files to see what my approach is. Even if you don't know the 3DLDF or MetaPost languages, it should be fairly intuitive.

There are certain universals with technical drawing, so it doesn't really matter what language you use or even whether you use a program where you write instructions or one where you use a mouse to work your way through menus in a GUI. In AutoCAD, for example, you can do both (the language is AutoLISP --- at least it was the last time I used AutoCAD).

Last edited by Laurence Finston; 05-17-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:08 AM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Download one of Yoav's kits in the Downloads section. He does his instructions as photos of the build process with notes added.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
photo instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrison View Post
Download one of Yoav's kits in the Downloads section. He does his instructions as photos of the build process with notes added.
Commonly I do the same - I make the instructions in the form of a build thread. You can download the new Turbo Beaver instructions here at no cost to see what I do.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
I photo the process, then trace the important parts you want to show to make the different pieces.

Here is an example:
How on earth do you make instructions for your models?-screenshot.jpg

Most use their own technique. You've got really good design skills, pretty sure you will find a great way to do them.

It is the hardest part of designing, as far as I'm concerned.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 05-18-2023, 01:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Ideally you want to have a labelling system that doesn't require the understanding of a particular language, although the advent of easy access to digital translation mitigates that. Colour coding left and right for example. Something that is appreciated is to have the labelling of parts in a logical manner, so using A1, A2 etc for a particular sub-assembly and so aid the intuition of which parts go together. I see kits where there is a part 1 skin, a part 1 former and a part 1 wire template and it's best avoided.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwi View Post
Ideally you want to have a labelling system that doesn't require the understanding of a particular language, although the advent of easy access to digital translation mitigates that. Colour coding left and right for example. Something that is appreciated is to have the labelling of parts in a logical manner, so using A1, A2 etc for a particular sub-assembly and so aid the intuition of which parts go together. I see kits where there is a part 1 skin, a part 1 former and a part 1 wire template and it's best avoided.

Thank you so much!!!
Old 05-19-2023, 01:08 PM

Thank you so much this process is something I would NEVER thing of!!!
Old 05-19-2023, 03:13 PM

Wow! your skills are just mindblowing!!!
Old 05-19-2023, 05:10 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
I do this as a profession (when I can get work) and the process for me varies.

If it's from a PDO for free DL (like the Starchaser model), I will generally try to get screen grabs, clean them up in Photoshop and assemble them in Illustrator.

If it's from a model or one of my builds, it becomes a bit more complex. A lot of photos of the build process, then tracing them in Illustrator, modifying the art so that it's isometric. Like when I did the redraw of Ninjatoe's Defiant.

I know it's a bit more work than just photos, but I want to make sure anyone anywhere in the world can understand them....which is why I try to use as few words as possible in the instructions.

See attachments for comparison.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf starchaser_inst.pdf (674.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf defiant AD.pdf (4.18 MB, 14 views)
Google Adsense

Tags
how to, inkscape, instructions, model, pencil