PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 07-25-2023, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a great project, Tyler! Famous, and beautiful aircraft.

I am glad to see you transitioning from your incredible one-off scratch-built models wth working parts to designing a model.

I am surprised that no one has designed a Comet 1. There was once a Comet 4 designed by Comet Studios and buillt by Forum member scon10. Unfortunately the images have disappeared from scon10's thread: DeHavilland Comet-4 by Comet Studios

Forum member Lex designed and built a Comet 4, which he made available in the Forum:
Designing the De Havilland Comet-4
De Havilland Comet 4B 1:100
https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/...downloadid=385
https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/26595-post44.html

And once again, scon10 (master of airliners) built it: Building the De Havilland DH-106 Comet 4

Now, finally, comes your project, Tyler. Very best wishes for success.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 07-25-2023 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-25-2023, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.46 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
This is a great project, Tyler! Famous, and beautiful aircraft.

I am glad to see you transitioning from your incredible one-off scratch-built models wth working parts to designing a model.

I am surprised that no one has designed a Comet 1. There was once a Comet 4 designed by Comet Studios and buillt by Forum member scon10. Unfortunately the images have disappeared from scon10's thread: DeHavilland Comet-4 by Comet Studios

Forum member Lex designed and built a Comet 4, which he made available in the Forum:
Designing the De Havilland Comet-4
De Havilland Comet 4B 1:100
https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/...downloadid=385
https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/26595-post44.html

And once again, scon10 (master of airliners) built it: Building the De Havilland DH-106 Comet 4

Now, finally, comes your project, Tyler. Very best wishes for success.

Don
Don!! i had one i made based on the original comet 4b 1/100, this one is put together by Jeferson G. Buitrago Alarcon
Attached Thumbnails
De Havilland Comet 1: Beginning my first ever design!-168045237_4037617056301187_4362832241813530585_n.jpg   De Havilland Comet 1: Beginning my first ever design!-167271369_4037616562967903_8341612292506067063_n.jpg  
Old 07-25-2023, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
I think, that previous threads can be found by clicking my avatar, going to staistics and then find all threads started by scon10.
Old 07-26-2023, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
That is a beautiful model; same aircraft G-ALYP that I am modeling!

Its interesting to see how various elements of the design were treated, which likely will influence how I assemble mine.

No new photos today. I spent a disgusting amount of time over the last several days learning how to do all kinds of things in Fusion 360 that I had never previously attempted. If anything, this project will force me to greatly increase my skills in CAD.

For example, I have been trying to draw the wing. Two modified NACA profiles were used for the inboard and outboard sections of the wing. So, I had to find those profiles then once I had found them I realized that I didn't know how or have a clue of how to get them into Fusion 360. Some searching revealed that I had to install some plug-ins to allow this to be done. And after much trial and error I was able to import a DAT file of the map of the NACA profile, but it wasn't in the right plane or offset where I needed it to be, or enlarged to the correct dimension.

By the end of the day I had managed to figure all of this out and had successfully placed the outboard profile at the correct location in the model. So, from there it should be a relatively simple process to geometrically locate the other profile, scale both of them up and down as need be for wing ribs, and develop the geometry of the engine nacelles.

I should have some more photos in a day or so.
Old 07-27-2023, 12:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.46 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
That is a beautiful model; same aircraft G-ALYP that I am modeling!

Its interesting to see how various elements of the design were treated, which likely will influence how I assemble mine.

No new photos today. I spent a disgusting amount of time over the last several days learning how to do all kinds of things in Fusion 360 that I had never previously attempted. If anything, this project will force me to greatly increase my skills in CAD.

For example, I have been trying to draw the wing. Two modified NACA profiles were used for the inboard and outboard sections of the wing. So, I had to find those profiles then once I had found them I realized that I didn't know how or have a clue of how to get them into Fusion 360. Some searching revealed that I had to install some plug-ins to allow this to be done. And after much trial and error I was able to import a DAT file of the map of the NACA profile, but it wasn't in the right plane or offset where I needed it to be, or enlarged to the correct dimension.

By the end of the day I had managed to figure all of this out and had successfully placed the outboard profile at the correct location in the model. So, from there it should be a relatively simple process to geometrically locate the other profile, scale both of them up and down as need be for wing ribs, and develop the geometry of the engine nacelles.

I should have some more photos in a day or so.
itll be nice to see a comet 1 paper model design!
Google Adsense
Old 03-14-2024, 10:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.83 MB
this project look's awsome