PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Praetor
Thanks for viewing my model.
Big Boy will be a kit for sell but I have not exactly decided the release time yet yet. I have no experiences in transferring paper model to metal. I think it should not be any problem with the plain sheet parts. But for some shafts or pipes you may use metal shafts instead of the rolled paper.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 AM

OK...

...cool. Like you (and others here) I've always wanted to build a Big Boy but it seems i can't find definitive plans to build such a steam model. You mentioned/gave a link to a CD of drawings for the Big Boy,(of which I saved), do you think this CD would help me in building a real live steam model? May I ask to keep me posted of your plans? Thanks, and believe me tha is a great job on the model you built, specially the paint on it.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 28.46 MB
Which sticker cutting machine is used?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
...cool. Like you (and others here) I've always wanted to build a Big Boy but it seems i can't find definitive plans to build such a steam model. You mentioned/gave a link to a CD of drawings for the Big Boy,(of which I saved), do you think this CD would help me in building a real live steam model? May I ask to keep me posted of your plans? Thanks, and believe me tha is a great job on the model you built, specially the paint on it.
Hello Praetor
Thanks for nice words.
Here is the link where you can purchase the CD

Union Pacific Historical Society :: Company Store

I'm not sure that the drawings are helpful for the live steam model builders.
But the drawings' detail is fine enough for heavy detailed modelers.
And thanks again for viewing and following my model. You can view the latest news from me at the thread here. I'll often update.

Best Regards
----kooklik----
Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermod01 View Post
Which sticker cutting machine is used?
I'm using Graphtech's CraftROBO

CraftROBO:GRAPHTEC

It's good for thin paper which not thicker than 210 grms (0.2-0.25 mm).

----kooklik----
Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 AM

Praetor,

The Union Pacific Historical Society drawings are most likely those they collaborated with American Locomotive Company (ALCO) on to manufacture the locomotive. If they are what I think they are there is no better resource for basing your live steam model on.

However, if what you're looking for are step-by-step plans for specifically building a live steam model in a similar scale/gauge as this engine Kooklik is building I would say those full scale drawings will not be of much help to you. You would be better served researching your fellow modelers in that Live Steam niche of the overall model railroading community/industry for those who have built a Big Boy and see if they have plans/instructions.

In any scale, a Live Steam Big Boy is going to be a project only a hobbyist with extensive drafting and machining experience scratch-building other smaller, simpler models will be able to complete successfully. Someone with the same kind of internal motivation as Kooklik.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM

much appreciated

Thanks kooklik and USA Supersonic. koolik I have the link for the CD you gave in an earlier thread, I'm hoping it's as helpful to me as it was to you. USA Supersonic I'm looking for a basis for use in building a live steam model, I have the necessary skills and machines to take on such a [daunting] project the only problem is not finding detailed drawings and if the CD kooklik used is enough to do what he did it may do the same for me, I don't need a step-by-step if it shows basic measurements I can calculate from...I pretty much want to build it possibly the same size as kooklik's in honor of his skill, medium used to build it, and dedication or, simply put, I'm inspired by kookliks build. I will order the CD, study it research everything and will keep everyone posted as to the build, I don't know if they would allow me to cover it on this particular site but most of the project will be covered in this site:

Home Model Engine Machinist - Index

Any help will be appreciated between now and the completion of this build.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

Kooklik, I think everything you touch is incredible!

Praetor, thanks for that link. I want to make a small steam engine also, but I want to power a small real 16' displacement boat. I too have a small machine shop.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:18 PM

Mr. Z.
Having machinist equiptment you have seen Stewart Steam engines. I bought a Stewart Score casting set over a decade ago. It is about a third done. Work stopped when I moved to a larger house with no shop space. Their twins are real sharp kits. The upright is a real gem. They are to small for real power but a good starting point for a machinist with limited steam skills. The best place to go would be LIVE STEAM. The books and plans available cover 110% of what most anyone would look for. My grandfather collected brass scrap. From scratch he produced steam engine wood patterns in his shop in IL. and would have the scrap brass cast in AL. each summer when down there for grandmas fishing vacations.
Disclamer: The engines and locomotives from LIVE STEAM plans would make beautiful balloon reverse powered working paper models.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 332.39 MB
Gentlemen
trying to convert Kookliks design into a live steam model would be difficult, but not impossible.
I think he would rather sell the model, than to try & sell the files for a live steam project, which knowing over the past couple of yrs how much work & time he has put into this project would amount to a largeish price for the "source files" if he were to even try to look at just breaking even!

However I suggest Live Steam Clubs & Railroads of all Scale & Gauge where a few live steam Big-Boys reside & plans are available to to build them in different scales, & all the hard work of what size steel etc is worked out for you.
Plus club members may even have a project going where they can cast extra parts wheels etc if they know someone wants them..........
Google Adsense