PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-17-2024, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.46 GB
How much does it cost to design a paper model?

How much does it cost to design a paper model? I'd like to start this thread because I heard that serious designers could spend thousands of dollars designing models. Of course, I'd like to talk about homemade paper models as well.
Attached Thumbnails
How much does it cost to design a paper model?-261356741_10159541401729770_3964873303206900588_n.jpg   How much does it cost to design a paper model?-ccfhhj.jpg   How much does it cost to design a paper model?-frvrgvrgvrgvrg.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-17-2024, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
There seem to be two main sources of cost:

1. Software - anything from free to thousands of squidooches. However likely a one-time purchase so divide by the number of kits made. Anything hand-drawn could still need digitising. Additional software might be needed to create instructions. Training hours on that software could incur costs if it takes time to learn a complex program.

2. Labour - depends if the designer works for a company or is freelance or a hobbyist. How much is your time worth? Do you need to visit the subject to get reference measurements and photos if it exists?

Kind of a 'how long is a piece of string' question. I imagine the Polish publishing houses set a budget for each kit and have a set fee for the designer and can predict their printing and packing costs.
Old 03-17-2024, 04:39 PM

those two points are interesting Simon, i was looking at paper trade DC-4 and i guess that's a great model and the designer invested a generous amount to achieve that beauty
Old 03-17-2024, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Going by polish model designers I doubt they get thousands of dollars for their designs. There is many of them and their work is made easier every year as new graphics software is hitting the market.

Model outlets used to print in tens of thousands of copies, now they are down to few thousands max. Modeling isn't as popular as it was and paper modeling wasn't that popular to begin with, certainly not as popular as plastic modeling was and we all know that hobby is also hurting now although it seems like it rebounded but I wonder if this is just fake marketing.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
Going by polish model designers I doubt they get thousands of dollars for their designs. There is many of them and their work is made easier every year as new graphics software is hitting the market.

Model outlets used to print in tens of thousands of copies, now they are down to few thousands max. Modeling isn't as popular as it was and paper modeling wasn't that popular to begin with, certainly not as popular as plastic modeling was and we all know that hobby is also hurting now although it seems like it rebounded but I wonder if this is just fake marketing.
totally agree with you
Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2024, 06:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I'm not even sure how to calculate what it costs to design a model. Most of the software I use is decades old, and acquired for free. If I calculate cost of labor... That depends on how long the model takes to design. The Stephensons Rocket I'm working on has taken a month so far, working about an hour a day average (some days get no work, some get several hours, depending on my energy levels). So at minimum wage of $18 an hour, that's about $540, plus cost of paper glue and ink for several beta builds, so round up to $600. Sell it for $10, get 3 or 4 sold before the pirates hit, and I don't even break even.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:17 AM

very interesting, pirates don't really know the damage they cause when they share a commercial model
Old 03-18-2024, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post

Another reason for the sales slump of card models is technology. It is amazing how easy it is to download, sometimes legally, free, thousands of card models from the web. Also, the fact that recoloring is very easy with legal free software, like Inkscape or Photopea, one can imagine why card modelers prefer to work with the PC while drinking a cup of coffee and listening to the Beatles or Beethoven as they obtain in return wonderful working hours on our card models, let alone the later printing and building.

It is impossible to work so easily with plastic models which by the way have, unfortunately, increased in price to the point that they have become unaffordable to the average modeler.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Thats like saying "how much does it cost you to paint a painting, Leonardo?".

It costs nothing, but your time really.
Although, before you can start, you need the proper tools and equipment, and supplies.
Beyond that, its your time (labour cost).

So, you tell me how much it costs (or "what will you charge") for your time.

I decided at the beginning I just wanted to fund my hobby.
In 12 years of producing models (not including the millions of downloaded Koolwheelz models)
I have earned just enough (over that time) to buy a new computer twice. Thats about it.
So, if you think you might create an income...think again.

Last edited by airdave; 03-18-2024 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
I take the same view as Dave; if I were to design and sell models I'd just want to break even and maybe fund purchasing others' designs.

Hope this isn't considered off-topic, but thought I should share some things I hear about the plastic model situation and also apply to model railways/railroads right now.

There seems to be a trend towards amazingly detailed and accurate kits, aimed at the serious experienced modeller, which command a high price, and presumably feed the sales of increasingly sophisticated tools and equipments. Certainly the results of this in the right hands are stunning and a world away from the acceptable but flat looking builds from the heyday of plastic models - but in doing so, possibly because it's the only business strategy that works right now, the companies risk stifling beginners unless this is used to keep entry-level stuff accessible.
What I also hear is that there's no overall decline of interest in the hobbies, in fact it may well have grown thanks to social media and certainly isn't just confined to older generations; rather people like the results and are quite prepared to invest the time and patience to achieve it but are put off by the cost. Several model train Youtubers have pointed out just how much markup there is on rolling stock and for balance how manufacturing and shipping costs have also increased. One really interesting analysis was more positive and pointed out that there is now starting to emerge a pushback in the form of more DIY building, especially centered around 3D printing and scratchbuilding. 3D printing does have its limitations but can make the plastic kit hobby more like ours, as someone can learn to design and make the kits themselves or modify existing ones.

I think if we keep publicising paper modelling we could attract some of this crowd. The great thing is that there isn't such a massive price gap between the most basic and most complex paper kits compared to plastic ones.
Google Adsense