PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 10-13-2009, 08:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Omega squadron Spawn papercraft

Finally after eons I have a new model almost completed, I decided to give up on the Voltron models I have and start over on them when I feel the spark of inspiration. So during my absence I have been practicing modeling and getting the ball rolling to attend some game design classes, I figured making some papercrafts in a next-gen workflow would be benificial towards my advancement. The first model I'm making is based on an Adventures of Spawn action figure by McFarlane Toys, at this point I have the high poly just about completed just need to finish the low poly and bake my normal maps then the textures. In the renders the model has basic materials applied to be used as a placeholder for the textures, enough talking here's some pics(this is the high poly the actual papercraft will be a bit lower poly) Any and all crits and comments are welcome:D

p.s. forgot to mention these renders are a few days old, I have added more to it since these were done.

reference image used
Google Adsense
Old 10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Anime Moderator

Total Downloaded: 23.29 MB
Nice!:D I'll be watching this thread for your progress!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 726.48 MB
Definitely an interesting model for paper! Just looking at it I see potential as a Halloween Costume
Old 10-17-2009, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the comments guys:D Just a quick update here, I have started on the textures for this guy, not quite sure if these will be the final textures or not as I'm not 100% happy with them at this point. Trying to get some actual detail into the textures rather than basic flood fill colors, right now I'm getting too much variation in the colors, so I think I need to find some tutorials on making multi-layer textures (or an alternative free paint program)to see what I'm doing wrong here(I'm using paint.net if it helps). If any of you guys know of any good tutorials for that and can link to it I would be eternally grateful

Old 10-20-2009, 05:55 AM

Making pretty good progress on the textures now after figuring out what I was doing wrong. I have decided to make 3 different texture options, 1 will be the Omega squadron(Omega Spawn clones) colors which will be a gray color and 1 in Omega Spawn colors which will be an off-white color(both of these are from the online comic The Adventures of Spawn) and 1 in original comic style Spawn colors(my preference) Some pics of each.

Original Spawn custom colors

Omega Spawn colors
Google Adsense
Old 10-20-2009, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 179.03 MB
Very COOL design. How large will it be when finished?

Clif
Old 10-20-2009, 12:57 PM

Not familiar with the subject matter but that is very cool!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:54 AM

Thank you for the positive comments guys:D

As far as the size, I have not decided quite yet I was thinking some where around 12" would be a good height, what are your opinions?

The textures are done for the most part I just need to go back and fix up some seams, do some lighting(fix bright spots) and sharpening stuff and I can call the textures complete. Then I get to test build this bad boy

I have a stand designed but have not textured it just yet, also I made some internal support for the stand cause I hate when you build a stand for your characters and end up caving it in after attaching your figure to it.

Anyway here is what I have so far, aside from the seam issues and bright spots i plan on fixing does anyone see any glaring problems that maybe I'm not seeing? Of course all comments are welcome as well:D

Original Spawn style colors

Omega Squadron colors

Omega Spawn colors
Old 10-22-2009, 09:50 AM

12 inches sounds great. It's my opinion the bigger the better.

If someone wants it's smaller then it's much much easier/better to downsize a paper model than to upsize it.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 179.03 MB
I like the design but haven't seen Spawn in this shape before. He looks kind of like an Irom Man Hulkbuster. 12" sounds like a good size. Have you thought about using foamcore to fill inside the base. I've used foamcore and covered it with the paper model texture and it will hold up an action figure so a cardstock figure shouldn't be a problem. I've used boxes made of foamcore then covered them and cut disks and laminated them together to make disk shaped bases before covering with paper texture.
Google Adsense