PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 04-22-2010, 11:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.35 MB
Question Trek verse Pirate Ship

Well, I came up with the idea after watching a pirate movie. Basically what would happen if a Pirate guild or whatever were collecting wrecked or what not Fleet ships from the Federation? I `ll have to admit this attempt is more or less a kit bash as is the rendering a collage of several different images, but I’ll use it as a base to grow on. The actual model will be ready to build soon. I shall post some pictures of the finished product. Lemme know what ya think. Thanx.
Attached Thumbnails
Trek verse Pirate Ship-pirate-carrier-vengeance.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2010, 11:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.95 MB
Very unique idea! I like it, can't wait to see more!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:28 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
heh heh - I rather like it! thanks for sharing
Chris
Old 04-23-2010, 05:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.02 MB
A very interesting design combining TMP era and the new reboot. I shall watch this ship with considerable interest.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Can you paint a logo or design on a starship?
...does paint even work in space?
for that matter, could you repaint an entire ship?

would you bother?...especially if you were a pirate and didn't rally care about how your ship looked, as long as it functioned properly.
Pirates are either busy planning their next loot and pillage
or they are relaxing and enjoying their spoils!
Can't see them wasting too much time putting on makeup!

And since pirates wouldn't have access to the immense technology and repair bases of the federation,
their hull repairs would be a lot less attractive and tidy.

not shooting down your idea...in fact I like it very much.
(being a "pirate" fan myself)
just started making me think about what "pirates" would actually do to a pirated vessel.

I could see bolting on other parts:
different engines
additional engines
armor plating
ramming devices
extra hardware, sensors, etc

I could imagine pirates "kit bashing" with other ships, producing monstrous looking vessels
-or-
going the opposite direction and stripping vessels down to a bare minimum to reduce maintenance?, visiblity?, increase maneuverability?

It might be possible to bolt on a flag or plate with a logo,
but it couldn't be very large.
Something they could have manufactured or painted inside a cargo bay, and then transported outside to be attached to the hull.

...definately a fun concept! keep going!
Google Adsense
Old 04-23-2010, 07:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I don't know if I agree with the ship concept but I do like the "idea" behind it,... kinda cool. The forward-facing hanger deck is good. You might double up on the impulse engines and maybe add another photon torpedo cluster to the underside-front of the saucer... maybe another one on top. And while you're at it, replace the outboard hanger decks with aft-firing torpedo launchers. Maybe even add a few phaser banks around the saucer rim.

Okaaaaay,... settle down. Hmmm, I'm thinking this could be a fun project.

And, heck yeah, paint it black.

Last edited by DesignR; 04-23-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Very nice idea!
Sorry Dave, I actually think the paint isn't an issue. A ship this size will have many members, and those not on duty or who's just there as extra hands when doing actual piracy could spend their time with the scheme Grumpy showed here.
They need to have the ship make a scary first impression on their victims after all.

I like the amount of shuttle bays. Ferrying booty is one of their priorities, but in the same vein, how about adding some Klingon disruptors and torpedo tubes or something? I'd bet pirates need to be VERY well armed too, and the fun part of a model like this is, the federation Hi-Tech weapons won't be easily accessible to pirates. So lots of outdated weapons could be their answer to even the playing field.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
no not all black it will take to black ink much ink leave it the color of the ship in your first post
Old 04-23-2010, 08:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
sorry, but I still don't think "paint" will work in outer space.
forgetting about the idea of having enough crew members, and enough time,
enough space suits, enough paint brushes or rollers (lol), enough cans of paint...

but "paint" as we know would not work in space...not only will it not "dry" but the application would be a nightmare.
(yes, I will admit, that in the 23rd century, new refinishing techniques will have been developed,
but I doubt anyone will have bothered to invent a method for Pirates to repaint stolen Starships!)

a "starship" is built with prefinished panels...even the name and Id would be preinstalled.

so the idea of "repainting" a ship would be non-productive as well as impossible, unless the vehicle was brought into a gravity/oxygen environment.

but....
there is another way to get a logo or design onto the hull.
computer controlled weapons (lasers, etc) could "burn" on inscribe a design onto the hull.
It might only be one colour, lacking crisp edges and details, but it would work.
Kinda like peeing in the snow...use a ships phaser to burn a pattern into your fellow pirate's starship! lol
Attached Thumbnails
Trek verse Pirate Ship-pirated-starship.jpg  
Old 04-23-2010, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.79 MB
Great looking ship Grumpymp!

Your vessel shows a more believable idea of what a pirate ship would be like in the Star Trek universe. It's a ship made of salvaged parts from federation ships and debris from all those big fleet battles (who cleans that stuff up anyway?). And as far as the paint style is concerened, I imagine that the pirates would simply broadcast an ID signal of a civilian or science vessel to lure a prize closer, so why shouldn't they boast a menacing paint job? Romulans did it on their Bird of Prey's anyway.

I remember seeing a kitbashed resin model of a Reliant pirate ship. Aside from a few small pirate symbols and added "landing decks" to the shuttle bays, it still had the clean and trimmed look of a federation vessel. Not so piratey like.
Google Adsense