PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.06 MB
mldixon, I was going to say a radial engine is a great choice for an early sketchup model since you can get one cylinder the way you want, make a component of it, the copy and rotate.

But based on the models in your link, especially the scope, you're way ahead of where I was.

One thing about the engine, if you haven't figured it out already (and it took me a long bout of stubbornness), if you use components to build the prototype cylinder, you can edit the component to add details like tubing or wiring or refining the cooling fins, and those changes will be propagated to any other instances of the component in the project. Here's a sample of the technique, drill down enough and it's the same component rated and flipped 20 times. Cylon Basestar, Battlestar Galactica (original series) by Gillman - Google 3D Warehouse

I made my own radial for Sketchup models of a B-10 and B-18 and that engine ended up being smaller in bytes than the texture they replaced.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.06 MB
Sorry, I don't know a way to remember the previous select. Probably the easiest way for selecting a face vs bounding edges is that if you selected a face, then cut it, the edge lines would still be there, cutting a face with bounding edges would remove the face and the edges as well.

If I understand what you're asking, I'd select the face, cut it, then delete the extra lines, then use paste in place to put the original face where it was before.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillman View Post
Sorry, I don't know a way to remember the previous select. Probably the easiest way for selecting a face vs bounding edges is that if you selected a face, then cut it, the edge lines would still be there, cutting a face with bounding edges would remove the face and the edges as well.

If I understand what you're asking, I'd select the face, cut it, then delete the extra lines, then use paste in place to put the original face where it was before.
that reminds me anyway to turn off that "grid snap" when moving around parts?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
OK thought this would be a good place as any to post this sense I mentioned I was doing a ficticious radial engine. This is what I have so far. It is completely made up and has no scale either. But has helped me learn all the little things thay Sketchup can do. So, now that I have the cylinder head I will see if I can turn it into a radial engine. This is the first time I have posted a sreen shot so I have had to learn that as weel. Learning all new kinds of stuff. Crash Bang!
Attached Thumbnails
Humiliated by Sketchup-new-picture.jpg  
Old 05-20-2012, 04:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 189.83 MB
I see You guys making nice progress. I recently made a short video tutorial , and was told that it was great way to show/learn new things. If You want to see some specific part of Sketchup modelling just let me know I will try to squeeze as many information as I can in a short video.
First thing I was thinking of is pure basic. Shortcuts, selections,moving things around, making copies etc.
I am definitely not an Sketchup expert, and everything I know I've learnt myself. But maybe if There will be a discussion after every video we all could learn something new.
Are You interested? Any suggestions ??
Matt
Google Adsense
Old 05-20-2012, 06:20 AM

I say bring it on Matt That is a great idea! I know I could use it. I know I am a ways off from doing this but I would love to see a series of tutorial that shows the process of how to take your idea for a model and turn it into printable 8.5x11 sheets to cut out and build. I am just having trouble seeing how to get there.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:52 AM

Sounds a great idea. It's taken me a while to work out how to get from a 3d design to a paper model. It's not what sketchup was designed for but is perfectly 'do-able' and easy enough when you know how. Video tutorials are a great feature of skethcup and really help with learning it.

And Duditz, great work with your model. I'm glad you've taken the plunge, you seem to be enjoying it which is great!