PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Matt that is AWESOME!!! I am like a kid at Christmas those are exactly the kind of shapes I want to create can't wait to install it and start building. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCiapa View Post
6)...
In a 'cone' model I used mu autounfold script, othervise You would mannualy have to unfold 4 parts that consist of 24 faces each.

Greets
Matt

Matt, can you go into more detail on " mu autounfold script"?

thanks,

Jon
Old 05-16-2012, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
They would be great as well I wasn't aware of an auto unfold. The manual unfold is effective but tedious and I always have trouble getting it to flatten correctly on the red axis mind you mainly this is trouble that seems to come up with curved surfaces.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 189.83 MB
@ Jon,
Please see : SPP (Sketchup-Paper-Planes ) Tools for Sketchup

Here is a video - sorry for a voice over, i haven't used english for a while and it is easier to put my thoughts into a written word.
Aircraft nose - curviloft - smooth all SPP Tools VIDEO

Screenr supports only 5 minutes but in this case it was enough.

If You want to see something else just ask.

Greets
Matt
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
@ Jon,
Please see : SPP (Sketchup-Paper-Planes ) Tools for Sketchup

Here is a video - sorry for a voice over, i haven't used english for a while and it is easier to put my thoughts into a written word.
Aircraft nose - curviloft - smooth all SPP Tools VIDEO

Screenr supports only 5 minutes but in this case it was enough.

If You want to see something else just ask.

Greets
Matt
Matt,

Ok that video with voice over is brilliant. That is exactly what I need to do. What you did in 5 minutes took me over 8 hours and I never got to the tabs. do you have a list of urls of ALL the plugins I will need for sketchup 8 to acheive that same result?

Also it is quite obvious that you are an expert in moving around in sketchup. I'm sure to do the things you did you hit a lot of keystrokes and buttons to accomplish things (for example breaking your 2 conic sections into 4 automatically, copying an pasting the the entire conic section, viewing all the faces outlined in blue, etc, ) If this video was broken into 3 or 4 parts, where you explicitly state each button push and keystroke as you do it, so a person could follow along and repeat, that would be perfect:

"so I clicked on the circle draw button, then I clicked on the canvas and dragged the mouse to about the size circle I wanted. I then hit control-c and Control-V to cut and paste the circle. this automatically turned on the drag feature so if I click and hold the mouse I can postion the new circle up..."

Thanks,

Jon.

I guess to start, can I just get hold of all those plugins, and start playing?

- Jon
Google Adsense
Old 05-16-2012, 09:36 AM

watched it again. wow just wow. I mean how did you even make those copes of the circles with the centers of the circles on the same line? I find moving around in sketchup so forriegn and confusing. I mean, you drew the circle, then double clicked on somehow to get it into a "face" select mode (with a lot of blue dots, I never seem to be able to to that, ) and then you somehow got sketchup to make a second xyz coordinate system (the second set of blue-green-red axis', what is the trick to control that??) you then did some clicking, and were able to make a duplicate and drag the new circle to an exact position maintaining the center alignment. Magnificent.

I know that's a lot of questions, and it encompasses about 2 seconds of your film, at around the 13-15 second mark, but that procedure would take me about 1/2 an hour. this is my problem with sketchup, I can't move around or get a descent explanation of its philosophy of movement.

Can you help?

I realize I'm asking for a lot, but what you do without even thinking in sketchup is not intuitive to us novice's. I can't imagine how you learned how to move so precisely in sketchup. If I sat with you for an hour I imagine it would do a world of good, but alas that's not going to happen.

I just can't find good tutorials that explain these basic movements and functions of sketchup. Maybe we can make this thread into one. You explaining the magic, and me asking HTF did you do that????

- Jon
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 AM

Well the truth is I started using Sketchup about a year ago, I have used many different 3d programs and every has a bit different way to move around, rotate, select, etc,
At the beginning it wasn't so easy but it comes with a practice, and then you move to more advanced things.
For basics, I would suggest to use instructor. I know that when You use sketchup for a first time after install you get a large window which shows you basics of tools use.
Probably You just found it annoying and set to newer show it to me again - well I did exactly the same first time. But this will guide you through some basics. Go to menu Window - instructor.
Also watch some video tutorials, eg. Google SketchUp. Or try youtube.

As for plugins, visit forums at sketchucation.com - there you can find many plugins.

I will try to answer more of your questions later.
Greets
Matt
Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:

As for plugins, visit forums at sketchucation.com - there you can find many plugins.

I will try to answer more of your questions later.
Greets
Matt

Matt,

Ok, I went to that website, and then clicked on forums, and from there I saw a button called plugins index. Is that were you want me to go?

so that thread has a list of lots and lots of plugins. which ones are the correct ones to accomplish ALL of the operations you did in the video,
there are a lot to choose from, here is the list of what is available:

Plugins Index (update 2012-05-13)

by Jim on Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:19 pm
Updated: 2012-05-13 11:18:04 UTC.

This is a list of SketchUp plugins which have been posted on the SketchUcation Plugins Forum.

To comment and discuss this post, please use the Plugins Index Talk topic.

Recently Updated Plugins
Newly Posted Plugins
Plugins by Author

Thanks to all our incredible script writers!
3dsketchupper 4dHans a4chitect AdamB Aerilius Al Hart Alan Chatham Alex Jenyon AlexMozg alexschreyer alz antantantant Anton_S ArchitectBoy asteronimo avariant azuby bentleykfrog bianhai BillW bomastudio brewsky brian_concannon Builder Boy Burkhard c.plassais CadFather calum_greenspacelive careca Carlos Fale cerebralmeltdown.com cerevellum Chris Fullmer chrisglasier chuck vali cmd Confitex Architure CPhillips D-Studio d_e_x daiku Dan Rathbun Didier Bur Diggsey Dik Harrison dominikh dukejazz EarthMover Eleandor fatihbarut finewood Frank Wiesner Fredo6 FTPlus gavvy gbabcock giodi1973 GOHCH Gruff Guedo Capeluto guitar-list.com gulcanocali Gultekinmg GWydouw Halroach honoluludesktop Howard Leslie humpmetwice imat-DJA ishboo jhoutman Jim joergber jolran JonD Juantxo jzer7 kirill2008 kwalkerman kyyu liquid98 lunkwill macgile Macs MarcioAB MartinRinehart Matt666 mattritzman max-cx Michaelv mikenon mirale999 mmyoung mocathe1st morisdov Nexus009 ngon nobnob odowhacker openhatch oscarlok Paul Russam pedromarmol pgarmyn Pierreden Pilou Pixero plot-paris Pout Pumpkin Pirate PurpLev qpik rainer.ochs Regular Polygon remus Rich O Brien RickW rubits sahi schorradt sdmitch sepo shaunco SHK shotgunefx Simone slbaumgartner sm4rt Srub stuarth tak2hata TeamSDA TheDro thomthom TIG Todd Burch Tomasz tomot Unknown vodkamartini voljanko Whaat wikii •BTM
Old 05-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 11.06 MB
Great video, MattCiapa.

The tool I go to most when designing is the Fredo's library, especially curvi-loft (which he used in the video) and bezierspline.

MattCiapa's SPP tool really makes Sketchup a worthwhile tool for bringing 3-D models into the real world.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:59 PM

Jon
Please edit your post - the whole list of plugins is not needed here.
As I said in my video, I used 3 plugins- Curviloft by Fredo View topic - [Plugin Beta] Curviloft 1.2d - 13 Apr 12 (Loft & Skinning) • SketchUcation Community Forums
Soften/unsoften by CadFather View topic - [Plugin] Soften/Unsoften • SketchUcation Community Forums
And SPP tools by me this one is not yet available.

In fact all the operations that you can see in video, except unfolding and automatic drawing of tabs can be made without any scripts.
And I strongly suggest to practise first a lot with Sketchup to get used to moving around, drawing basic shapes, working with groups etc. befor moving to mode advanced things.
You will save Yourself a lot of frustration and nerves.
Also You will find that You miss son functionalities and then it will be time time to look for a right plugin. Don't hurry things up.
As I said before, it is more than year since I started working more with Sketchup, In this time I have managed to write some scripts but I haven't been able to finish any design.
Take Your time.
Matt
Google Adsense