PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 179.03 MB
A question about a Netbook computer

Does anyone know if one of the small Netbook computers would be powerful enough to run the Pepakura reader program, and be able to print to PDF?

Thanks
Clif
Google Adsense
Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
It depends on the netbook (mainly its age), but most likely yes.

My sister has an Acer Aspire netbook, not sure on the age but it must be somewhat newer; it's 1.6ghz processor would be more than enough for those uses. I had an older full-size Dell Inspiron laptop that I used for light 3D modelling/papercraft and it worked fine but hers would outperform it any day.

Also, my mother has an old Fujitsu Lifebook netbook (from around 2001?), I think it still would run Pep Viewer but probably not very fast.

Unless the netbook is very old, you shouldn't have any problems. If you happen to know the specs I can give you a better idea; I've used Pep on a lot of different computers
Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
I travel a lot for my job. I bought a refurbished Acer netbook for my personal stuff (like deisgning models!) and I have carried it with me around the world for the past 2 years. It took me a little bit to get used to the smaller screen, but I absolutely love it. Easy to carry and doesn't take up a lot of space for a full featured computer.

Sure it may not be the fastest or have the latest bells and whistles, but it suits me just fine. I use it as a backup work computer, web surfer (I'm on it right now), hobby work, picture storage (I added a 32 GB SD flash card), document writing, Skype calls to the wife, basically everything I need a computer to do.

I can play games and such on it, but probably not well suited for serious gaming. But then what serious gamer would use a small netbook anyway?

Best Regards,
Old 09-20-2012, 10:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I'm exactly the same as Ron and travel all over with mine and haven't had any problems at all doing normal graphics viewing (including pep files) with it...
Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 179.03 MB
Thanks for the info guys. I found a local used computer shop that sells them refurbished for $150.00. I think I can use it for my PDO file so I can print them to PDF for my MAC and my wife can use it for writing.

Clif
Google Adsense
Old 09-22-2012, 01:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
I have a 5 year old Dell D620 that is my company supplied laptop. I have kept it because it has a serial port which is needed to program the automation systems that I supply. It is a dinosaur comprised to the new laptops that you can purchase for $350 to $500. I have AutoCAD, and Illustrator on it both of which require a good computer to run, So my answer is yes any good new laptop will do a good job. However you can never have too much memory or a processor that is too fast.

Jim Nunn