PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 06-23-2021, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 328.53 MB
Fsx 3d models

Any idea on how I can extract aircraft models on flight simulator x into workable 3d models so that I can unfold it in pepakura.
Help is appreciated
Old 06-23-2021, 07:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
seriously?
LOL

Might I suggest the Microsoft Flight Simulator website.
You could contact Microsoft and ask them how to do it?
I bet you they know.

Maybe take a look at the software usage terms and conditions section from Microsoft.
Heres the page...MSservicesagreement
Make sure to scroll down to #8 Software License.
I think its important.

Quote:
... This license does not give you any right to, and you may not:
i. circumvent or bypass any technological protection measures in or relating to the software or Services;
ii. disassemble, decompile, decrypt, hack, emulate, exploit, or reverse engineer any software or other aspect of the Services that is included in or accessible through the Services, except and only to the extent that the applicable copyright law expressly permits doing so;
iii. separate components of the software or Services for use on different devices;
iv. publish, copy, rent, lease, sell, export, import, distribute, or lend the software or the Services, unless Microsoft expressly authorizes you to do so;[
I got this feeling that Microsoft is trying to protect their own property?
Whats their problem?
Old 06-23-2021, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavmitra View Post
Any idea on how I can extract aircraft models on flight simulator x into workable 3d models so that I can unfold it in pepakura.
Help is appreciated
The best tool for this job is called ModelconverterX, it's a freeware tool. It's available here: ModelConverterX on SceneryDesign.org
The tool works with models from all Flight Sim versions, even the older ones like FS 98. You can extract the game files into 3D files like 3DS or OBJ (and more)

Models can be download from various forums such as Simviation and Sim-Outhouse and other websites.

The MS Flightsim community is a very active community, with a lot of 3rd party addons, payware or freeware, as Microsoft used to encourage "game modding" by releasing part of the source code and instructions on how to make models work in the Flight Sim. Sometimes the original 3D source files are uploaded. When I was still flying in the Combat Flight Simulators Gmax (a freeware "nephew" of 3D Studio Max) was one of the programs used to make the various aircraft and scenery objects. Don't know what program is being used at the moment, could be Blender.
Always read the included readme files in any package you download.

As I said, I've been a member of the Flightsim community for a long time and I got to know the community as open and cooperative, designers willing to help out anybody who asks for help (either by sending the original 3D files or PSD files for textures or any other way).
However the community is very sensitive about piracy and stealing, so you'd better forget your plans of making money out of paper models based upon files from the MS Flight Simulator series...

So before you start, you should keep some golden rules in mind:

1 - Do not use payware models for obvious reasons. With payware models I mean any model sold by a 3rd party or stock files (files that come with the Flight Simulator = designed by Microsoft)

2 - As there are a lot of freeware models (designed by members of the community) always ask for permission to use these files and always give credit to the original designer or repainter. Most of the time the designers email is included in a readme file...

3 - Never, and I repeat never use those files you extract for commercial purposes. If you do so, you will be publicly and virtually lynched by the Flight Sim community

Last edited by Foute Man; 06-23-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
I don't think it would be a good idea to use FSX models, since they were never intended as paper models, they will probably have more polygons than Pepakura can handle. I'm no expert but I highly doubt such models will be able to be used for unfolding. And as mentioned above, the creators may not be willing to have their models used for this purpose...

I'm not sure which aircraft you want to unfold, but there are plenty of brilliant paper models of aircraft which are freely available, and in some cases, the authors even encourage repainting and edits. Perhaps the aircraft you want to unfold already exist as cleverly designed paper models!