PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 04-26-2022, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.92 MB
Finding an intro to designing models

Is there a post thread that helps someone get into designing kits? What software to use, tips and tricks, etc.
Google Adsense
Old 04-27-2022, 07:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Tyler

I'm surprised that you ae even asking this based on the F-18 I saw at the convention last year. :>)

I'm not a designer but I think the more popular free vector tool here is Inkscape. There is also Sketchup and Blender. There are plenty of free non-vector (bitmap) tools as well. There are some tutorials here as well as YouTube.

Roman (der Kampfflieger) has a good book to purchase on paper model design. Nando did a tutorial based on his learnings from it here:

Sopwith Swallow (it’s Sketchup, Pepakura, Paint.net story [restart])

Bruno has a tutorial on recoloring (sorry, too lazy to find the link) - Note that he uses MS Word to design his kits. There is the old-fashioned way of scratchbuilding that RyanShort has in the Download section.

Bob
Old 04-27-2022, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.92 MB
Models like my F/A-18E, Fairey Swordfish, and Grumman Goose are impossible to recreate. I would, however, like to try my hand at designing a model that has my style embedded into the kit. Something that others could build and learn new things from.

I've built a few kits and many scratch builds, I've learned a whole lot from the two styles and I think there could be a unique and interesting way to combine the two to make one hell of a model.

I'm 26, so I've got time to learn and perhaps even someday have a bit of a brand. I think that would be awesome.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
There are many ways to design a model but this particular way of combining old school and digital methods got my interest lately. Might suite you as well. Take a look at the thread there's other interesting info too.

Tappi
Old 05-10-2022, 02:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
I think such a thread or ebook would be very valuable, especially to younger modellers. I learned the rudiments by drawing copies of card kits, or trying to form paper around plastic kits. Personally, what I would find most challenging about creating a kit for others to build would be formalising the parts that I scratchbuild freehand, such as tiny thin strips, indentations, etc.
Google Adsense
Old 05-12-2022, 09:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Here is a link for a ebook done by PixelOz many years ago. Probably get you started:
New Free E-Book About Paper Model Design With Blender 3D

Not sure but I think the original poster is actually looking for a cone/truncated cone program. Thinking the petals are no joy. I use TGEN2 provided by someone on Yahoo groups many years ago. There are plenty of on-line calculators to use.

Mike
Old 11-22-2022, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
I have designed my simple models for many years by creating a 3D Solid entity in AutoCAD. I draw facets over the entire surface and lay the facets out flat to create the model. This works for me to create a very accurate model but it is incredibly tedious. I see other designers using better software, and I am ready to learn something new.

Which software is best? Sketchup? Blender? Does Inkscape support 3D?
Old 11-22-2022, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I use Rhino3D to design my models, and Photoshop to add graphics. I do have videos on my YouTube channel showing how I design a model, step by step.
Old 07-21-2023, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I use Rhino3D to design my models, and Photoshop to add graphics. I do have videos on my YouTube channel showing how I design a model, step by step.
Why Rhino?

Rhino isn't cheap, but I already have Fusion 360 which isn't cheap either. Its just what I am used to and the price was right when I got it.

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-21-2023 at 09:24 AM. Reason: question was answered in original post