PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 12-08-2022, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Die cut

Can anyone recommend an, "exemplary" pre-printed, die cut kit as an example to reference as it is proposed that the ORLECK model for STEM students will be die cut, for some reason, they seem to think that 12 year olds with razor blades may be a, "potential liability" plus as novices, die cutting will eliminate the most time consuming and exacting process of card modeling.

Any exemplary DIE CUT model recommendations that I may use as a reference?

Your feedback is appreciated.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, FRD. I’m afraid I’m not going to be much help. As someone who enjoys building vintage paper models, I run into quite a few die cut examples. True, I’m not building old, original copies, I’m constructing models from scans. But in those scans, the tabs, slots and other perforations can be plainly seen as either lighter or darker lines. And they seemingly never line up with the artwork on the page.

I don’t know if the model’s printer is tasked with using the dies or if the printed pages are sent off to be cut before binding. In any case, when it comes to vintage models or today’s current efforts, it seems someone is always asleep at the wheel when it comes to proper registration of the dies. See the Shell Rumpler Tropfenwagen below. The faint white lines on the drawing are the die cut lines. Die crushed, as the balsa and tissue airplane enthusiasts say.
So, sorry to say, I can’t recommend an, “exemplary, pre-printed, die cut kit.” I’ll be anxious to see the results of your inquiry.

Die cut models aside, I can recommend that boys and girls learn how to handle a knife. It’s a skill that will serve them for the rest of their lives, and old-school paper modeling seems like a good opportunity to teach the proper use of edged tools. Just an idea.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Die cut-shell-berre-24.jpg  
Old 12-08-2022, 08:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
I am currently trying to use a laser cutter to do my cutting on the paper replika Airbus A321.

It is a whole lot of new issues to be addressed. Most have to do with registration. And I suspect many solutions will apply to either die cut artwork, or laser artwork. (So far, I have added registration marks, lifted the cutline from the artwork for the laser, eliminated that cut line and added bleed over to the artwork so that a slight registration error won't create white triangles on the model.

But for economies, it might make sense.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yeah, that was my biggest concern, exact registry, this will be commercially printed.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Quote:
Die cut models aside, I can recommend that boys and girls learn how to handle a knife. It’s a skill that will serve them for the rest of their lives, and old-school paper modeling seems like a good opportunity to teach the proper use of edged tools. Just an idea.

Yes, good knife skills are useful at Thanksgiving and other family get togethers.
Google Adsense