PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 10-27-2010, 03:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.60 MB
This is no paper modeling....this is art! One of the best dioramas i have ever seen.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Thumbs up Bravo!

Lars: Thanks for a stunning, splendid piece of work!
I particularly like the figures.

I for one would be interested in your "guided tour"!
Thanks for sharing this!
Jim
Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 AM

@Glen: Thank you! Well, the tug is a little gimmick from the constructor of the kit (Peter "Piet" Brandt). These tugs were in use for a long time but i don't know the exact date of commissioning. A detail, which should be mentioned, is the tiltable funnel. You can put it in a horizontal position to allow the tug to cross beneath bridges. I didn't want to believe that at first untli i saw live footage from these times. A very neat detail, you can see the counterweights at both sides of the funnel which support this mechanism.

@Art Deco: Yeah, one of my forum friends jested as he said about my first van: "Next you'll build it with the engine cover taken off..." And so i did

@Rawen: Uh, thank you, but i just tried my best

@Jim: Thank you. The sepia-pics were taken from my guided tour, but i'll give you the tour anyway
I just hope, you don't get bored with so much text, as i tried to hint at many details during the tour.

Ok, folks, hope you enjoy it.

(PS: Please don't be harsh with my english; there may be some passages i didn't translate properly... but i tried my best)
Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 AM

“Welcome to this part of the harbour. I'm captain of the "Elbe 5", and will guide you on this tour. My ship is not made for luxury (i don't even have walls around my bridge), but i still hope, you enjoy your stay. The sun is shining and i think you can take a walk on the main deck now."
Attached Thumbnails
Harbour Scene 1:250-guided-tour-01.jpg  
Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 AM

"My ship, the "Elbe 5", is a barge. They're used for cargo transfer in the harbour. Right now, the barge is loaded with pipes for a wastewater system. There's my 1. officer Franz, inspecting the fastenings on some barrels filled with lube."
Attached Thumbnails
Harbour Scene 1:250-guided-tour-02.jpg  
Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM

"We're passing the stern of the tourist steamer "Königin Luise". This ship is rather new and was put into commission in 1934. It travels the route from Hamburg to Helgoland. You can see the prominent shape of the propeller safeguard."
Attached Thumbnails
Harbour Scene 1:250-guided-tour-03.jpg  
Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM

"Behind the stern we can see the lighthouse. The entrance is facing to the dike in case there is a flood. That way, the entrance won't be hit by the full force of the waves, I can tell you, that the building of the dike was not without problems. For example, the large stones are a problem, as they can break rushing waves so that they cut in the turf. That would make the dike unstable and could end up breaking it. But luckily, we haven't had such a vast flood yet, so no one cares for taking the stones away.
Between the dike and the dock you can see train No. 24, just arriving with new passengers for the "Königin Luise"."
Attached Thumbnails
Harbour Scene 1:250-guided-tour-04.jpg  
Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 AM

"On the dike, a strong wind is blowing. Still, there's a couple on the bench, they don't seem to care about the cold. No wonder, as you have a great look across the harbour from this point."
Attached Thumbnails
Harbour Scene 1:250-guided-tour-05.jpg  
Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 AM

"Ah, we're in luck. Shepherd Heinz has just gathered his flock around him (under the watchful eyes of Bello, his dog)."
Attached Thumbnails
Harbour Scene 1:250-guided-tour-06.jpg  
Old 10-27-2010, 10:27 AM

"The passengers that arrived by train need to hurry, as the "Königin Luise" is about to depart. MAKE HASTE! Ah well, trains and punctuality... now there's a good laugh."
Attached Thumbnails
Harbour Scene 1:250-guided-tour-07.jpg