PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 10-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Abandoned Gas Station Modification

Real world has reared it's ugly head again, cutting badly into building time, so I have doubts that I can complete a diorama for Airdave's challenge by the Oct 31 deadline. However, to keep things going on it, I figured a build thread may keep some kind of momentum up on it. I can't seem to do a build anymore without fiddling with the base design in some way. After getting a bunch of the Scale Scenes models, I thought I'd use some of the interiors on the abandoned gas station. The base model looks as if the second floor would be used as a living quarters for the owner, but as designed would be more than a bit cramped. So the first modification is lengthening the two story module and adding an entrance door to the second floor. Since the upper space extends into the attic over the store, a doorway into it becomes needed. I now need to add a few furnishings to what I figure would be a combined living room/kitchen before finishing up the module. With the doorway, it is now going to be needed to raise the roof line of the store module by increasing the height of its walls a bit. Also, I like the roof over the gas pumps in the original version of the gas station, so will be adding that to the model. I'll add an interior to the store, but am not sure about doing an interior for the attic areas. This may come as a shock, but I don't intend making any changes to the lean-to garage. Since there is no inside plumbing, the "outback" from the old garage version will be needed in the diorama.

Abandoned Gas Station Modification-01.jpgAbandoned Gas Station Modification-02.jpgAbandoned Gas Station Modification-03.jpgAbandoned Gas Station Modification-04.jpgAbandoned Gas Station Modification-05.jpgAbandoned Gas Station Modification-06.jpg
Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
very cool! its a whole new dimension by having the inside done!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
An interior?!...somewhere for those Zombies to sit once they come callin'?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.69 MB
Pretty awesome mod. This structure now reminds me of photos I've seen of one of Bonnie & Clyde's hideouts, which was an above garage apartment. Maybe a possible subject for a future diorama! I'll be watching your build!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Your whole idea of making an interior - and almost a story to go with it - to this nice model is so attractive! - L.
Google Adsense
Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Excellent concept and excellent build. I appreciate your thought behind the concept. On anything I bash, I usually get an idea while I'm progressing, make the change and adjust the rest of the build accordingly. Planning is an outstanding concept to me ... LOL.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Hello gentlemen,

I have no idea why we are all so romantic in our behavior when we pick on originals that we like to realize in cardboard? Not the new buildings, not the new cars, not the new ships of now? No, we are grabbin' all the stuff from yesterday ... In our hobby we're living in yesterday but hoping, we could do the same silly things tomorrow ...
Nice, Darwin that you point it out! Independent from your construction report, I downloaded the same gas station ... cardmodeling build brigdes ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Wilfred, models of yesterday? All I need to do is drive a couple of hours from my home and find towns where this structure (including the outhouse) would fit right in without notice. Many locations in central Idaho are still having problems trying to adjust to the 20th century, much less struggle into the 21st. As for myself, I've always looked at modeling as a bridge to connect us to history in a way that brings it to life, not just words in a text book. (In some cases, though, the history may not be too awfully far back...I still have fond memories of a cutaway model of a liquid fuel rocket I made for an 8th grade science project, including a satellite payload. The teacher said it was science fiction. Two weeks later, Sputnik was launched, and we listened to the beep-beep-beep in the class.)
Old 10-10-2011, 07:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.95 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Wilfred, models of yesterday? All I need to do is drive a couple of hours from my home and find towns where this structure (including the outhouse) would fit right in without notice. Many locations in central Idaho are still having problems trying to adjust to the 20th century, much less struggle into the 21st. As for myself, I've always looked at modeling as a bridge to connect us to history in a way that brings it to life, not just words in a text book. (In some cases, though, the history may not be too awfully far back...I still have fond memories of a cutaway model of a liquid fuel rocket I made for an 8th grade science project, including a satellite payload. The teacher said it was science fiction. Two weeks later, Sputnik was launched, and we listened to the beep-beep-beep in the class.)
Too true. I remember watching Star Trek as a kid and wanting one of their communicators. Had my Mom and Dad buy me the plastic model set with the tricorder, the phaser and the communicator just so I could have one. Fast forward 35 years......I have that technology in my pocket everyday. Funny how life imitates art....or is it the other way around.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.48 MB
It's cool!!! Thanks for your mods, Darvin! If you want to share this, I want to download it!

Greetings from Brazil!

Mauther
Google Adsense