PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 02-07-2012, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 190.42 MB
Thanks for the sugestion rockpaperscisor. Actually I have the habit of checking on Google Earth before starting an architecture model, don´t know I haven't done now. maybe because I just had to build the model. The whole New England range of Fiddlersgreen is very apealling.
Don Boose, to call this a tutorial is very kind. it is just a very simple assembly. maybe different for the medium gel I'll use for water.

After finishing the edge with spray in can, I started airbrushing the terrain and the water. It's a little technicolor, but since I'm using the model (without proper resarch) to represent a generic place I hope it's okay. It is more striking mightbe the colour of the water. It looks like this wahrf is on a very closed bay where salt water mix with fresh water, giving that brownish tone. I'm painting waters as they will look on an open bay to the ocean. At least on this side of the ocean.
The two last photos show the medium gel just applied. It is white as toothpaste. When it starts curing it becomes transparent. It is better applied with a spatula with rounded edges (waves with sharp angles are a little dificult to look realistic...). It can also be smootehd with wet finger tips. The material is acrylic, it can even be smoothed with a soft wet brush.
Attached Thumbnails
Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-1-.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-3-.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-4-.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 PM

I was a little impatient, even tried a new thing: a hairdryer over the gel. It really acelerated the cure and didn't crack.
Attached Thumbnails
Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-5-.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-6-.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-7-.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-8-.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-9-.jpg  

Old 02-07-2012, 03:56 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I thought you might use acryic gel medium. I've used it many times in my military miniature work to simulate water. Really a great product. Your little New England vignette is looking better and better with every photo. Well done!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:57 PM

When I look at the photos I feel silly with what I have done with the poles. Even if the real pier should b sloped, I think the poles should be straight. Now is too late...
Attached Thumbnails
Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-10-.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-11-.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-12-.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-13-.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-14-.jpg  

Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Motif #1 is integrated in an urban stting so I gather and with parking problems so it seems...
I'm setting th shack at the end of a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. The two trees act as a backdrop.
I just love those cool seaguls. lots of attitude, only missing the shades...
Attached Thumbnails
Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-15-.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-16-.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-17-.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-ppmod-p3-18-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2012, 04:13 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Simply beautiful Carlos. I can almost hear the gulls and smell the salt air. Rockport is a quaint New England village, that has very little in the way of parking lots. The street that runs right along the ocean is the main focus of tourism, and in the summer months, the tourists that flood to the village have to drive up and down street after street, gradually moving away from the ocean, until they find a spot they can squeeze into. If they're really lucky, they'll be only 5 or 6 blocks from the main points of interest.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:36 PM

Hi rockpaperscisor:
I got curious and went to Google Earth, it really is a beatiful place. I can understand the dificulty in parking, narrow streets for your standards and a tourist atraction.
Eheheh! Just remembered that once on my way to Italy I asked the driver of the car a detour, so we could go thru Monaco seaside avenue (Promendade des Anglais). We're hoping to find a place to park just for a couple of minutes. No way! And that is the story of my brief staying in Monaco...

I post here some photos of Rockport and Motif #1 I just got from Google Earth
Attached Thumbnails
Rockport motif #1-motif-001.jpg   Rockport motif #1-motif-002.jpg   Rockport motif #1-motif-003.jpg   Rockport motif #1-motif-004.jpg   Rockport motif #1-rockport-003.jpg  

Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 PM

And an aerial so we have an overall view of the place
Attached Thumbnails
Rockport motif #1-rockport-002.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I think your posts are supposed to be at an angle, as you have done them. I think they are to keep boats from rubbing against the stone.

Very nice build. Very interesting how you modeled the water.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Carlos

Very beautiful model, effective at transmitting the environment that can be seen in real images. Nice water.

Congratulations.

In my workbench -> Excavator HSW L-34 (Renova Model Nº4)
Google Adsense