PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 05-26-2014, 04:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I don't think that's a highland type of barn, it was likely single storey, very like a croft, but an interesting adaptation. Looking at the lockup I think I need to add a village pound to the kits. 'Barn', yes I am planning another barn or two. Golly, there's no end to designing these kits
Old 05-27-2014, 12:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Thank you all for stopping by!

@ legion: Never seen that one but in Braveheart there are similar ones too.

@ Mauther: I know you have soft spot for charming old houses. ;-)

@ silveroxide: I'm one of the rare individuals of our species who has never played any games exept chess or poker but yes I can see that these could work well in those purposes too.

@ Don: That was one of the reasons I was so exited when I found Andrews models here. To think about the course of the history on a croft and wonder what buildings would have been added and how life would have been upgraded etc.

@ Sakrison: I've been doing this for a week or so and I already got a request from a friend who wants a croft for himself too so these are perfect gifts too.

@ Andrew: I think you are right not typical but I guess possible anyway. A pound would be superb. I've had that thought in my mind but I would rather see your creation of it.

I've finished the main building and I will put some new photos here later today.

Tappi
Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 214.21 MB
sorry Tappi,i did dig it out and it turns out to be a fort,not a village.check out Children's Books from Usborne Publishing go to craft books then cutout models
Attached Thumbnails
Highland croft-100_4763.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 AM

I have couple of Usborne models too. I have to check them out sometime. Village or fort - just build it. :D

Tappi
Old 05-27-2014, 09:40 AM

A Roman village in Northern Europe would be pretty much the same as any Celtic village, I think all the cash was spent on villas. However, a set of Roman town buildings would be a nice project, nothing too posh, just shops and domicilia, if that's the right word.
Google Adsense
Old 05-27-2014, 09:58 AM

Just a quick single photo update of the farmhouse (it's raining and I can't shoot outside). Few alterations to this model too: I gave it a bit more height (for the upstairs spaces really), I also modified and multiplied the roof windows (three in the front and two in the back. Some ivy on the wall and backyard features a paved terrace too. Looks like a country pub doesn't it) With a small bed and breakfast service for random hikers and travelers.

Tappi
Old 05-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Nice work Tappi! Even posed as it is it still says warmth and shelter, homey like.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 PM

Tappi
Here are some sample unfinished images of the new croft barn model. It is the a modification of the old croft house and so retains a double room area inside, but with the small windows only, at the front. I'm going to add an optional pair of straw bedded floors, and optional stalls.

You'll see I've changed the old thatched roof to a choice of two more authentic thatches, in keeping with the use of rough straw or heather. One has 2D weight stones, the other is a plain thatch suitable for adding 3D details.

I've also redone the old croft models to include the new thatch, much better than the 'yellowish' fine straw I used, and of course the thatch also fits around the chimney versions of the croft.

Also an image of a highland watermill. I now have the detailed plans for this type of mill so it should be a very nice little project, both to design and also to build.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Highland croft-sample-croft-barn.jpg   Highland croft-sample-croft-barn-2.jpg   Highland croft-sample-croft-barn-3.jpg   Highland croft-highland-watermill-2.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 07:21 PM

Hey, I didn't see your new house, excellent! Yes, I noticed the extra height in the roof yet my farmhouse was an actual copy of an existing building. 'Upstairs space' in Scotland can be pretty cramped, from my broad experience the Scots like to treat their guests as sardines. A pub sounds a good idea and I shall add some extra parts for the farmhouse to turn it into a pub/hotel - "THE HAGGIS AT BAY"
Old 05-27-2014, 09:35 PM

That barn looks fantastic, just the thing I was waiting for. I'll have multiple use for it in the current build. One suggestion though - I scratched the netting with a hobby knife but your printed one looks much better. Could you add strips of the roof image with the stones for those who would like to add 3D weights to the netting?

Additional parts to the farmhouse sounds great too. I'm studying the Norman Hall model to see if it's furniture would suite for the terrace setting. This sign could be on the wall next to the main entrance - I'll let you decide the number of stars.

I have visited Scotland once many years back and remember some very small B&B places. Nice trip and I would love to do it once more someday.

Our youngest child is graduating from college this weekend so we have a lot to do preparing a party for her plus family and friends to join. I'll post if I can get anything done otherwise more of this next week.

Tappi

Last edited by Tapcho; 05-27-2014 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Typos
Google Adsense