PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 05-12-2009, 10:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
May 5th, 1864

Our 10 year old has a Civil War project due next week. (Typical kid, we got a late start) The topic he chose is the Confederate Navy and in particular the fight between the CSS Albemarle and the USS Commodore Hull, USS Wyalusing, the USS Sassacus, USS Mattabesett on May 5th. This is after the Albemarle sank the Southfield and fought with Miami. He wants a diorama to back up his written time line and he will be dressing up in a CSN uniform as well, for extra points.

Luckily, I have Magnus Morck's fine models downloaded. I have the Commodore Perry almost done, and I found out that it and the Commodore Hull look alike, both being ferry built about the same time. I have a stripped down Albemarle almost done and I have the Mendota printed and ready to go. The Mendota looks like the Sassacus, only the number and type of cannons differ. So, with luck the diorama will consist of the Albemarle being rammed by the Sassacus with the Commodore Hull closing in for support. I may add some floating debris from the shot up CSS bombshell also.

I need a quick and easy way to do water. I am replacing the printed anti-boarding netting on the Mendota/Sassacus with screen cut and placed just right, and I already have the little guy working on making all of the 1:250 scale blue jackets I need for the ships decks.

Any ideas on water?
I will post pictures as we get things coming together.
Thanks,
CT
Attached Thumbnails
May 5th, 1864-cssalbemarle1.gif  
Google Adsense
Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
erhem...isn't this supposed to be the kid's project? :D
For quick water, try spreading crumpled seran wrap over a sheet of dark blue paper.

Cheers,

Oliver
Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 PM

Oh...My wife asked the same thing. The kid is doing a lot of the work on the models and all of the work on the written and speaking part. I figure me helping with/making the models is little different then if he bought pre-made boats and did the diorama. If this was an arts and craft class I would make him do it all, but this is for his history class, so I figure, what the heck. I am also making the Confederate Navy outfit too for his presentation, although he may do some of it. (He learning to sews too!)

Thanks for the tip on the water. I will do some experiments to see.

Thanks

Oh yah, does your USS Alarm come with a stand? Just wondering. I finaly have a little money in Pay Pal.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:58 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Good deal on using the papermodels for the project. My 11yo son used the Titanic from Ralph Currell and a 3d homemade paper iceberg for his project.

Could you post the link for the Magnus kits? Just in case I need them for another
project.

Thanks

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:00 AM

On my Micromodels ships, I have take the printed water and just use Aleene's Clear Glue to build up both a shine and waves. it will take two or three or four layer. As it dries, it tend to level out, so the more you add the more depth it has.

You can get a plastic sheet in Lowes that is for a shower door that has crinkle like water, and can paint the back a darker water color if you want.
Google Adsense
Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 AM

You can get some clear acrylic resin to pour over a painted base for a real "wet" water look. They sell kits at Michael's and Hobby Lobby.

Currently working on: ISS
Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 AM

Hello, thanks guys. The link for MM ships is http://www.myspace.com/mmpapermodels

You may need to download a RAR reader, but it is well worth it. My Commodore Hull/Perry is about done, but I need a lot more sailors on deck working the guns. The advantage of the Ironclad is I will need no figures for it.

I am thinking of using the black marker and cotton for smoke and white cotton for cannon blasts. Is there a way to "set" the smoke so it will not blow one way then another. I thought about hair spray maybe?

CT
Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Hair spray would work for that. The best is the cheap, old lacquer style that you usually can find at dollar stores. No soft and manageable here, you want that stuff to stay in place!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:57 PM

Thanks, we got a Dollar store near by. I haven't got any work done on the models yet today as I have been chopping down the jungle grass in the yard. In South Dakota, you cut the grass three or four time a year, but here in Georgia, you have to cut the stuff three or four times a month! The little mechanical push mower the wife got for the kids works well enough if the grass in short to start with, but our back yard grass is too much for the kids. Feels like it is too much for me even with a 4.5 hourse power motorizes mower. Oh well. I will get some modeling done tonight and hopefully some pics.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
I haven't got any work done on the models yet today as I have been chopping down the jungle grass in the yard. In South Dakota, you cut the grass three or four time a year, but here in Georgia, you have to cut the stuff three or four times a month! The little mechanical push mower the wife got for the kids works well enough if the grass in short to start with, but our back yard grass is too much for the kids. Feels like it is too much for me even with a 4.5 hourse power motorizes mower. Oh well. I will get some modeling done tonight and hopefully some pics.
Bah! I can totally relate. I can't complain too much, because our field grass growing season is short, but fire regs require 100' of clearance, and the growing season happens to be right now, so mowing/trimming is taking a lot of my time (hence the lack of progress in my PZL P-50 build thread).
Google Adsense