PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 06-26-2016, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
Ideas for 1:144 Paper Airport Diorama

This actually isn't a build thread, I just couldn't find the right category for this. Anyways, I thought, why not build a 1:144 Airport out of paper for my paper planes? However, I am 14 years old, and barely have any experience in this. However, I feel that this community is very knowledgeable with aviation and other related topics. So for now, if you have any tips, information, or advice for me, please write it in this thread

A couple of preliminary details.

I plan to put LEDs on the runway, taxiway, etc, but need some info on placement, how to put the LEDs, etc.

I am not set on a certain layout, I have no problem if things get a little cramped.

I wish to keep this as cheap as possible, as I have no steady income.

Thanks!
Google Adsense
Old 06-26-2016, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Kampfgruppe 144 has some Hangers and Control Towers which are free downloads.

Kampfgruppe 144
Old 06-26-2016, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
I was thinking about 1/200. I always thought 1/144 will be too big. But I think it's worth a try!! Try upscaling some airport paper models (I remember there was a shop that sells a full airport kit for about 30 dollars).
Old 06-26-2016, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Here is a 1/144 hanger model.
Card Models - 1/144 Aircraft Hangar
Old 06-26-2016, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajaeseo View Post
I plan to put LEDs on the runway, taxiway, etc, but need some info on placement,
This should help, 64 pages
Quote:
Federal Aviation Administration
Southern Region Airports Division
A Quick Reference to Airfield Standards
This November 2015 edition supersedes all previous editions

Airfield lighting starts in chapter 2 on page 30
https://www.faa.gov/airports/souther...-reference.pdf

And, 312 pages,
Quote:
1. Purpose.This advisory circular (AC) provides guidance and recommendations about the installation of airport visual aids.
This one has chapters for lighting of each specific purpose.
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/150-5340-30H.pdf

Sample of content,
Quote:
Lateral spacing -preferred method. The lights are spaced across the entire taxiway, including fillets, holding bays, etc., at intervals of 9ft. 10 inches (3 m), ±2 inches (51 mm), center-to-center, per Figure 49. The lights are spaced in relation to a reference fixture that is installed inline (longitudinally) with existing or planned taxiway centerline lights. However, it is not intended that the reference fixture replace a taxiway centerline light. If a conflict between the reference fixture and a centerline light occurs, the reference fixture takes the place of an
existing centerline light and a new centerline light is installed per the criteria in paragraph 4.3.c. If the holding position marking is intersected by multiple taxiway centerline markings, the reference fixture is set at the centerline that is used most often. A fixture whose outboard edge falls at a point less than 2 ft.(0.6 m) from the defined edge of the taxiway (outboard edge of the taxiway marking) may be omitted. Individual fixtures may be moved laterally a maximum of ±1 foot (305 mm) to avoid undesirable spots: i.e., conduit and rigid pavement joints, etc.
Note:
If undesirable spots cannot be avoided in this way, fixtures may be moved no more than 2ft. (0.6 m) using the following alternate method
Oh, and welcome to the bottomless pit you step in when you encounter the world of Federal regulations

Last edited by southwestforests; 06-26-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-26-2016, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
Are you trying to build a specific airport, or your own design? Modern, or a specific time (WWII, Vietnam, etc.)?
In addition to planes and buildings, you can detail with cars, accessories like baggage carts, etc. In the downloads section there is a tutorial on how to resize models, so you can get freebies in almost any scale and resize to your 1/144 scale.
The airport closest to my town (South Bend, Indiana) happens to have both a bus terminal and a train station, as well as UPS and Fed Ex terminals.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceM View Post
Are you trying to build a specific airport, or your own design? Modern, or a specific time (WWII, Vietnam, etc.)?
In addition to planes and buildings, you can detail with cars, accessories like baggage carts, etc. In the downloads section there is a tutorial on how to resize models, so you can get freebies in almost any scale and resize to your 1/144 scale.
The airport closest to my town (South Bend, Indiana) happens to have both a bus terminal and a train station, as well as UPS and Fed Ex terminals.
I'm not going for a specific airport, as my space won't allow it. I want to try to loosely base it off of CVG, which is my closest airport. A Modern airport.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:08 PM

Thanks for all the information guys!

Is there anyone out there willing to recolor my requests for the airport? I want to have planes that fly in and out of CVG.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N96HBK View Post
I was thinking about 1/200. I always thought 1/144 will be too big. But I think it's worth a try!! Try upscaling some airport paper models (I remember there was a shop that sells a full airport kit for about 30 dollars).
Do you remember the name of the shop?
Old 06-26-2016, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
there is a europen site that sells very detailed airport models in card.cant remember its name but they were expensive
Google Adsense