PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 03-13-2021, 02:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Aviodrome of Schiphol

Mr. Foute Mand sent me an extraordinary present. A model of the Aviodrome of Schiphol. The Aviodrome was build in 1928. Unfortunately, it was destroyed during the war. But fortunately, it has been reconstructed to life-size and the building is open to the public. Now it is part of the Dutch aviation museum.

Schiphol 1928 - noorderlicht architekten

go to picture 7 to download the model.
This could be in the architectural models, but it had a plane, making it a diorama.
Attached Thumbnails
Aviodrome of Schiphol-pict3136.jpg   Aviodrome of Schiphol-pict3137.jpg   Aviodrome of Schiphol-pict3139.jpg   Aviodrome of Schiphol-pict3140.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-13-2021, 03:36 AM

Mr. Foute Man, sorry.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
A minor correction, Aviodrome is the name of the Dutch aviation museum at Lelystad Airport. The building itself is called "Schipholgebouw" = Schipholbuilding.
The original building was built in 1928, destroyed during WW2 (1943) and rebuilt/reconstructed at Lelystad Airport at the beginning of this century.
The aircraft in the model is a DC-2 painted in the colors and registration code of "De Uiver", a KLM flown DC-2 that won the international air race between London and Melbourne in 1934
4 pdf files = 2 sheets, 1 description + 1 manual
Old 03-13-2021, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
A nice model, but a pity the partlypicture in the coverpage is much sharper compared to the actual modelpages in PDF.

Time for a 'reconstruction'...

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 03-13-2021, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
It is a nice model, but I have seen it before. I'm pretty sure that a copy resides in my archives somewhere, BUT ... where did you get that miniature Dragon Rapide? I've been looking for one that could be reasonably rescaled to 1:300 for a long time. I'd love a DH Tiger moth in 1:300 too.
Attached Thumbnails
Aviodrome of Schiphol-screenshot_20210313173307.jpg  
Old 03-13-2021, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

I believe it is still available on Papermau here: PAPERMAU: 1928`s Dutch Airport Diorama Paper Model - by Noorderlicht

Worth a look.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 03-13-2021, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
nice model
Old 03-13-2021, 02:06 PM

Thank you!

Thank you Foute Man for the correction. It seems that I am the foute modelbouwer, and you are the Rechtsaf Man!

And yes, Ponytail, the PDF was rasterized. Try to contact the firm that did the reconstruction for a fresh vector file. If not reconstruct. I printed my model in draft to see how it looked and could not resist building it. But be careful with the control tower and the upper level room. You need to cut part of the back wall to form them. I didn’t notice that until it was constructed and was time for the roofs. I needed an extra sharp knife.

JohnM, the Dragon was scratch build and is almost 2.5 D, maybe 2.75. I volumized the fuselage boxy style, and the engines are 2D. Bruno has at least two Dragon Rapides in 1/100 (191 and 811), as for the Tiger Moth there is Zio. A challenge nevertheless but, I have done Zio’s Gladiator in 1/400. Also, I have seen a Dragon Rapide as a flying 2.5D model.
Biplane (Red) - Paper Airplanes - Toys - Paper Craft - Canon Creative Park
You may chose to do a hybrid in 1/300 using Bruno’s fuselage, and glued digitally the wings and control surfaces. That would simplify construction.

Thank you Thumb Dog, the Papermau site has a virtual model of the airport. Very nice indeed, but the link is inactive.

Thank you Herky.
Attached Thumbnails
Aviodrome of Schiphol-pict3136b.jpg  

Last edited by wireandpaper; 03-13-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
This model was first published in 2003 and it has been discussed on this forum before I think it has been released as a printed model at the time, so perhaps a printed version can be found on ebay or marktplaats

There is a 3D model of the building in the 3D Warehouse, the designer used the template of the paper model to texture his model....and no, he did not design the paper model
Old 03-13-2021, 03:22 PM

I didn't notice, but Ruben Andres did an excellent job. Particularly with the roofs by gluing it to thicker card stock gives it a nice rigidity. Also he had a thicker base to mount the model and prevent warping.

Could anyone tell me what is the big sphere on top of the control tower?
It is not a radar because it was not invented yet!
Google Adsense