PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 11-07-2021, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Indianapolis International Airport in 1:400

Hi! New member here. Looking to build an accurate model of the old Indianapolis International Airport terminal in 1:400 to display my fleet of diecast airliners representing airlines and aircraft types regularly scheduled to IND over the years. I posted it in Aviation but realized it might fit better under Diorama. I'm being blocked from posting the URL so please visit the Aviation section to see the particulars of this project. I have posted several reference photos showing different parts of the facility.

I do have experience with scale modeling and graphic design but I'm new to paper modeling. Looking for tips and advice from seasoned veterans on how to design and build this project... what software is best (I was thinking of using Inkscape), what kind of paper to use, whether to print myself at home or send it off for commercial printing for better quality, etc. As well as general advice and specific techniques that might be applicable to this particular project.
Google Adsense
Old 11-07-2021, 08:17 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
You need a couple more posts(8) in order to post url links.

As for paper, look for cardstock or index stock, anywhere from 110 to 200 lb paper.
you can get smaller packs of cardstock at Walmart, or at your local hobby store(Joann's, Michael's, Hobby Lobby)

If you have a recent printer, as 5 years old or younger, you will be ok with printing.
Ink jet and laser are two available versions available for the home printer(you).
Ink jet will give you a great print, with laser printers, you need to fiddle with the heat settings in order to prevent the toner to flake off when scoring and bending the parts.
Some have reported good luck when spraying a matte or gloss laqueur on the sheets prior to assembly. For both types of prints, it helps with smudging and accidental water exposure(spittle)

Hope some of these tips will help you, and if you have any more, just ask.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 11-08-2021, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
you say you have experience 3d modeling, so maybe you can try to make a simple 3d model of the terminal(s) to then unfold in pepakura designer? its a lot easier than hand designing some of the parts. also due to the small scale you should probably use tweezers for some parts (ive never used them but the oil from your fingers can weaken paper quickly)

Wish you luck on the project
Old 11-08-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ätherwellen View Post
you say you have experience 3d modeling, so maybe you can try to make a simple 3d model of the terminal(s) to then unfold in pepakura designer? its a lot easier than hand designing some of the parts. also due to the small scale you should probably use tweezers for some parts (ive never used them but the oil from your fingers can weaken paper quickly)

Wish you luck on the project
I've never heard of the program you referenced. Is it free? Is it easy to learn and use? Is it capable of reproducing some of the complex shapes found in this structure(I'm thinking specifically of the Concourse B domed roof with the sawtoothed roof radiating out from it with a total of 21 peaks over a 7-sided main structure)? Will it export a shape outline that I could bring into Inkscape to apply the colors and textures?
Old 11-08-2021, 11:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
pepakura is completely free and it takes a 3d model and flattens it, i dont use it very much so you might need someone else to explain it better, basically you create a 3d model in something like blender and convert it to a file pepakura accepts, then select size of object and unfold it
Google Adsense
Old 11-14-2021, 07:31 AM

Here is the base plan that I've come up with, based on an aerial image from 1992. The grid lines indicate divisions into 2x2-foot (24x24 inch) squares for easy handling and storage. What do you guys recommend for a substrate material? Ideally it should have a smooth (but not glossy) surface for gluing the ground foils on, and not be prone to warping. Bonus for lightweight and relatively inexpensive. I was thinking foam core but I'm afraid it might have a tendency to warp.

Also for the ground foils themselves... I would like to use vector graphics for accuracy yet I still want to have raster textures to simulate the grass, asphalt, and concrete as well as to create the rubber deposits on the runway and fuel and oil stains on the ramp. I have never combined vector and raster imagery in quite that way before and I have never attempted to simulate distressed surfaces by hand drawing. I'm open to all suggestions in this department!

Old 11-14-2021, 10:58 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
I would have recommended Luan Door skins, about 3 to 4 millimeters in thickness, it is a plywood, but with the price of wood nowadays, might be cost prohibitive.

Are you looking to make the layout 48 square feet?
I would suggest building a smaller scale layout, get a feel of how big the final version might be.

As for the grass, maybe look at railroad grass material, that with your graphics might give you a better effect instead of a raster image of grass.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 11-15-2021, 05:22 AM

I found these "project panels" at Menards for 5 bucks each! Already the exact size I need. 1/8" short... adding 1/16" craft foam around the edges brings them up to an exact 24" while providing a finished look and eliminating splinters.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A great project! I will follow with interest.

Don
Old 11-23-2021, 04:19 PM

Update: The initial design of the ramp area is complete, using Inkscape. The layout of the terminal buildings has been marked out.

Now the attention will turn to the design and construction of the terminal buildings as well as the final pavement markings on the ramp for the parking positions.

Google Adsense