PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 11-26-2021, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off

Several months ago, April 2021, was checking my email on yahoo.

An add appeared. I've never clicked on any, nothing in the different ads has ever really drawn my interest, and if it does, I browse for it.

That particular ad had a Saturn V Lift-Off with red/varible lights in a 3D printed light diffuser. I clicked and decided to check it out.

$69 and only 10-left. I was getting ready to take off and fly my 9112-mile round trip vacation. Really couldn't afford the money-but it was a Saturn V and looked really cool.

Turns out it was a scam. Waited almost 1-1/2 months to ship. What I received was a super small shuttle light.
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-dsc_0001.jpg

After contacting the seller, (they ignore emails). I decided to lodge a complaint with Paypal because that is who I used to purchase it.

The next day I took off on vacation (June 11, 2021). I have a brand new iPad that I don't know how to use. I go get cell service eventually for it part way through vacation flying across the country.

By the time I get back to Alaska and my computer. Paypal had closed the complaint because I hadn't provided any proof or contact in two weeks it took me to fly to Kitty Hawk, NC and back.

Contacted Paypal chat and provided the proof. Turns out the outfit was in trouble with Paypal for doing the same thing-bait/switch. PayPal gave me a voucher for the full amount and said to keep the shuttle rocket.

Great night light. It charges by USB and then stays on for about 4-hours before auto shutdown, once power is stopped.

The rocket they used was the Lego Saturn V rocket.

Easy to see once you know what to look for: DON"T FALL FOR THIS AD-Actual photo they used:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-sat-v-lamp.jpg

Decided to see if I could re-produce the lamp. After realizing that I have a particular corner in my home, that needs a little more light, decided to make it a room lightening version, not just for novelty.

Already have a small 1/111 size Saturn V stomp rocket.

Been buying all kinds of interesting stuff to see if this will work.

Yesterday was an evening of first cuts.

Made the wood 2"x3" base frame. Heavy to keep right side up. There is a center support piece you can't see under all the weights. The frame strap holding it while the cement dries for the 24-hour cure time is music tight. There is an opening I cut in one corner. The strap makes music if plucked. Might have to get my metal drum out and see what chord.
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1378.jpg

Printed and cutout the concrete Launch Pad, the tracks etc.
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1375.jpg

Printed the base of the LUT. Wish I had the time to buy and build the LUT that Dave just completed. I might eventually make my own tower. For now I just have the base pad the LUT attaches too.
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1370.jpg

Cut out the flame diverter openings. Plan to drill a hole into the center brace support the diameter of some clear acrylic tubing that I bought as the main structure support. The tube will slide into the base holding it vertical. Wiring etc. will go up the acrylic tube. The stomp rocket tube slides in very nicely into the top opening.
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1377.jpg

Styrofoam support 12"x13" pad will have some special paper that simulates metal real well. Check the photos. Sheet size is 11"x14" and cost $4 each.
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1373.jpg

A metal disc will have rivet mounted candelabra style LED light fixtures. A total of 7-each 60watt daylight are planned for use, but can do up to 10- if the 420watts doesn't look like enough juice... 4-each in each engine bell with three slightly lower along the flame trail to give an extended look hopefully. Center bell is gone-stomp rocket tube is there. The tube will slide inside of the acrylic tube and will provide plenty of support for the rocket. It can still be used as a stomp rocket...Oh, bought some .007 thick plastic light diffuser material on eBay. Ran it through my wide format printer-simple ice cream cone for the fire plume. New cone will be two piece instead of three-gaps and gluing provide plenty of entertainment when building-now it is scotch tape only.
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1380.jpg
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1381.jpg
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1383.jpg

Walmart had some wireless remote control for Christmas light setups. Now the lights will be remote controlled. Bought several sets of ice blue, yellow and red Christmas Tree LED lights to hide in the iridescent snow, that will be used for the smoke/steam cloud.

The base frame will set till tomorrow then I will create the sloped look of the concrete launch pad. Just doing the top level and a little of the down slope. Think of a deck type boat build instead of the whole hull.

The bottom of the concrete pad is made up of 2"x3" wood. It will be a chisel, rasp, and sand project. Once it is done, then the paper and wiring can begin.
Construction Thoughts:
When it is time to create the steam/smoke clouds, thinking to use 1/8" diameter x 36" long TIG welding rods. Holes drilled into the wood base would work to attach them, should be able to bend and support vertically the "snow" plan to use. Inside the snow will be several different colored LED lights that have different modes. Flash, blink, steady, shooting along the length, etc...Wire rod will help secure these in place as well.

Anybody have any ideas on the smoke clouds??

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited by mbauer; 11-26-2021 at 04:08 PM. Reason: mention construction thoughts Light photos
Google Adsense
Old 11-27-2021, 05:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Hi Mike

This is probably a bonkers idea but assuming you what something like the effect below

1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-wallpaper-nasa-166-apollo-16-liftoff-1972-04-16-ws.jpg

then what about some led's in jar or tub which then has cotton wool/that type of "fibre optic" synthetic wool built around it into the correct "cloud shapes" and very lightly spray painted for some colouration effect. The led's should give that "hot glowing inside the cloud" effect. Like I say probably a bonkers suggestion.

Great project by the way.

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-27-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Hi Mike

This is probably a bonkers idea but assuming you what something like the effect below

Attachment 460685

then what about some led's in jar or tub which then has cotton wool/that type of "fibre optic" synthetic wool built around it into the correct "cloud shapes" and very lightly spray painted for some colouration effect. The led's should give that "hot glowing inside the cloud" effect. Like I say probably a bonkers suggestion.

Great project by the way.

Regards

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for checking in.

Yes, you've nailed the effect. Will keep the glass jar idea just in case it is needed.

Couldn't find the fiber optic strands. Did find some of the iridescent snow though. Hoping it will carry the light similar to the fiber optics.

Mike
Old 11-27-2021, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I don't get it...
mine looks totally accurate.

Its even got the proper NASA markings.
Attached Thumbnails
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-saturn-5-nightlight.jpg  
Old 11-27-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I don't get it...
mine looks totally accurate.

Its even got the proper NASA markings.
Hi Dave,

Must say a Big Thank You.

My screen and keyboard have coffee all over them now.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 11-27-2021, 12:33 PM

The Joy of NOT Owning a Bandsaw

The next few steps will be made using a hammer and chisel. A wood rasp and finally sand paper labor. All this is the result of not owning a bandsaw, or a draw knife, or wood plane...Lucky to have found the chisel.

Need to fit the base to the printed concrete top cover. Once in place I can then verify placement of the center hole to insert the clear acrylic tube into. After that it should go fairly quick to finish up.

Thinking I'll use some old Fruitwood II stain to try and match the yellow/orange color of the concrete of the actual pad.

Photo of ramp that the tracks of the crawler use. It is the secret to everything else. Once final, I'll do a re-trace of the edges and then have the lines needed to finish the chisel work:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1387.jpg

Fit Test to see if this is going to work:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1390.jpg

Steeper angle on the ramp:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1394.jpg

Steeper angle on the other side of the ramp:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1396.jpg

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 11-27-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:10 PM

Cloud Thoughts

Been going over and over how to get the clouds to look as real as possible.

The iridescent snow is just poly fill from a quilt store, that has these little iridescent flakes in it.

Was able to buy more snow from walmart for $3.98 bag called Buffalo Snow. Same as the higher dollar stuff but cheap, just doesn't have the little flakes in it.

Been planning on using some welding wire to support the "snow" clouds. Hoping to shape by hand then spray with clear sealer to hopefully hold the shape.

Then the thought of printing a basic cloud outline on cardstock. Glue it to some cardboard for strength. It would look like a silhouette of rolling clouds-getting higher as needed. Smaller ones could be used for the smaller clouds.

The print could then be used like a wall to support the cloud clumps. The snow could be rolled into ball shapes and then glued to the wall. The lights can be run as needed.

Taking a break from building. Time to look at the printed idea.

Anybody have any other ideas I'm not thinking of?

Mike
Old 11-27-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Hi Mike

and very lightly spray painted for some colouration effect.

Regards

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Forgot to mention this is an "artist" interpretation. As such there is going to be lots more red and yellow LED lights in the cloud.

For the dark sections, well, not going to paint. The Black-Light LEDs that I ordered haven't got here yet.

Just finished drawing the cloud outlines. Going to build one to see if they work. Now to find a box big enough! 32"x22" high other side is even bigger!

Printed, soon will be glued to cardboard box and cut out. Testing the ball of cloud/snow idea.

Mike
Old 11-28-2021, 12:21 PM

Progress

After all the whining about not having a bandsaw, realized I do have a skill saw.

Speeded things up.

Base almost done, need to drill the hole for the acrylic tube. Waiting until I could verify it was correct cost me the use of the drill press. It doesn't have enough throat to allow me to drill the hole on my drill press. Could have drilled it at any time before gluing to the base. Thought it would be better to wait. Now a delay in what/how to drill.

Next is to find a 1/2" chuck hand drill or call a friend who has a huge drill press.

Base Photos:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1400.jpg
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1401.jpg

Print pattern glued to base:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1405.jpg

Smoke cloud parts volunteer, just did one for now to see how it will work. Plan to glue a wood dowel to the bottom of the cardboard, then drill a hole in the base to slide the dowel into. That way the light can be broken down for moving as needed:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1406.jpg

Figured out the tubing hole. Will need to reprint the top of the pad print. Cut it and removed the front part of the base. Drilled the hole and then re-glued the base. Using Gorilla Contact cement, it is flexible and allowed me to take the base apart fairly easy.
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1407.jpg

1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1411.jpg

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 11-28-2021 at 12:58 PM. Reason: cardboard
Old 11-28-2021, 06:40 PM

Clouds

Well the idea for the clouds seems to be working.

Planned to add smaller ones to the sides to give it the 3D look. After making the first one, it is easy just to spray some Super 77 on the ball and stick to the other balls as needed.

Two complete bags of snow used.

To add the lights should be fairly easy, just pull the clouds apart and run where needed. Twist ties can mount the lights to the cardboard.

Here are some Cloud photos.

5/8" wood dowel for support:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1412.jpg

Cardboard cutout fit:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1415.jpg

Wood dowel gluing & then duck tape added for additional support:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1419.jpg

Clouds first layer, found out by spraying glue on bottom rolled up snow, it can be placed on the other snow and it sticks great. Actually helped with the top layers to glue both sides together:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1420.jpg

Only one side done:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1422.jpg

Added more to make wider on this side. Two bags of snow and it looks done, ready for lights Left Side view:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1427.jpg

Right side view:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1428.jpg

Rear view looking forward:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1429.jpg

Front view looking aft:
1/111 Saturn V Lift Off-pict1430.jpg

How does it look?

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 11-28-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Google Adsense