PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 07-06-2022, 06:43 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Quote:
That's very interesting to me. I envy you for having been able to work with these techniques, although I'm sure it wasn't all beer and skittles.
It certainly wasn't. The turn of the century one story factory building was minimally insulated. 12 linotype machines, each with a gallon sized pot of liquid molten lead alloy added to our misery in the summer months, and in the winter, it was so cold in the building that we typed away with fingerless gloves. If a word spacer got twisted in a line of type, the plunger would send a spray of hot lead (called a squirt in the business) towards the operator. It was prudent to wear long sleeved shirts, even in the summer. It might seem strange to say, but I'm thankful for my time at that job. I consider it a privilege to have experienced working with that technology in its last days.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
So, would this be the late '60s, early '70s?

Do you do any letterpress printing anymore, e.g., as a hobby? I assume you don't have a working Linotype machine in your basement.

Computerized typesetting is very interesting and you can do a lot with it, but you can't print with fine ink on fine paper with an inkjet or laser printer. That's why I've been working on display-size fonts that I can use for wood- and linoleum cuts. Unfortunately, I can't really see myself carving steel rods for casting 10pt fonts in hot lead.

Here are a couple of photos of linoleum blocks with letters that are almost ready for printing, and a block with a drawing including lettering, which is not as far along. The fonts on the blocks with letters are Euler Fraktur and Euler Roman, designed by the famous typeface designer Hermann Zapf and programmed in METAFONT, and I drew the lettering on the drawing freehand. The photos with just letters look better if you zoom out.
Attached Thumbnails
Defenestration-euler_fraktur_a_h.jpg   Defenestration-euler_fraktur_m_s.jpg   Defenestration-euler_roman_a_h.jpg   Defenestration-msnd.jpg  
Old 07-06-2022, 10:29 AM

Error. Please delete!
Old 07-06-2022, 02:28 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I worked for the Cornwall Press from mid 1972 to late 1975. I never looked back after I left for what turned out to be my employer until my retirement 9 years ago. The linoleum block work you shared is very impressive.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
I worked for the Cornwall Press from mid 1972 to late 1975. I never looked back after I left for what turned out to be my employer until my retirement 9 years ago.
I was nine years old in 1972.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
The linoleum block work you shared is very impressive.
Thank you! I've got several other blocks with drawings nearly ready for printing. A couple are on lindenwood plywood and I prefer it to linoleum, though the latter is also good. It will be the first time I've printed anything since I took a class in etching in college. I didn't do very well in that class because I had no drawings that I wanted to print at that time and it seemed rather pointless.

One nice thing about wood- and linoleum cuts is that you don't need a press. M.C. Escher used a wooden spoon and I figured if it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me. I had a spoon reserved for the purpose but then I bought a couple of special tools for rubbing the paper. Can't wait to try this out.

The attached JPEG file shows something else font-related I've been working on: the very beginnings of my first "3D" font. It's based on Donald Knuth's Computer Modern Sans Serif Bold Extended.
Attached Thumbnails
Defenestration-hollow.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-07-2022, 03:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Finston View Post

(...)

Here are a couple of photos of linoleum blocks with letters that are almost ready for printing, and a block with a drawing including lettering, which is not as far along. The fonts on the blocks with letters are Euler Fraktur and Euler Roman, designed by the famous typeface designer Hermann Zapf and programmed in METAFONT, and I drew the lettering on the drawing freehand. The photos with just letters look better if you zoom out.
Thanks for sharing! These gothic fonts are really pretty. They represent German Schwabache, the font used by the Germans for printing books and newspapers as long as up to mid-World War Two. I loved them, it was the first typeface of a gothic script I ever learned, although now I prefer the French lettering.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viator View Post
Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure! I've put the PDF file with the models and the source code (MetaPost and TeX) onto my personal website: Lettering

It's a little rough, since it was just for my own use. I was planning to clean it up and publish it, but I thought I'd just go ahead now, in case you or anybody else here was interested.

I can perform any simple changes easily, if anyone needs them.

I haven't done this for Euler Roman yet, but it's on my TODO list. I'd sort of gotten away from this project for a while.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:23 AM

The American Mathematical Society commissioned the Euler family of fonts from Hermann Zapf for the volume "Concrete Mathematics, A Foundation for Computer Science" by Graham, Knuth and Patashnik. It was never meant for typesetting running text, but only for use as symbols in mathematical formulae. To the best of my knowledge, it has never been used for any other book.