PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 07-02-2022, 06:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Defenestration

I recently looked through ABC mag's archive and found a few items that interested me - and weren't too expensive bearing in mind the postage cost from Czech. There's quite a mixture that includes a couple of dioramas.

One is a straight forward view of a printers workshop. The figures are about 2 inches tall and the base is 6 inches wide,

The second one is a bit more complicated. It interested me because any guided tour of Prague will mention Jan Hus. He was a 15th century church reformer - similar to Martin Luther who "arrived" about a hundred years later. The "Hussite mob" revolted and found the quickest way to get rid of their opponents was defenestration - simply throw them out the windows!

The figures are a little smaller than the printers, but a lot more intricate. The base is the same size at 6 inches wide

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Defenestration-img_0742.jpg   Defenestration-img_0743.jpg   Defenestration-img_0754.jpg   Defenestration-img_0755.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-02-2022, 06:18 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I love those! Prior to paper modelling, my primary hobby was sculpting and painting historical miniatures, so I really appreciate and enjoy paper works that include the human figure. In my early to mid '20s I worked as a printer in an antiquated "hot metal" shop. I operated a linotype machine and performed hand composition, plucking individual letters one at a time from a California case. That's why the printer's workshop vignette really speaks to me. Defenestration is a new term to me. From the diorama it appears the poor souls were speared on the way down and would be finished off on the ground if necessary.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Very interesting!

The diorama of the Prague defenestration 1419 is based on the Adolf Liebscher painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Defenestration-liebscher-_adolf_-_svrzeni_konsel-_s_novom-stske_radnice_30._-ervence_1419.jpg  
Old 07-02-2022, 08:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Those are lovely dioramas! Could you post a link to their location on the ABC website?

Wyvern
Old 07-03-2022, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Lovely, tell your mum.
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2022, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
I think it is important to reference these acts of mob rule lest we forget how these acts manifest themselves.

Defenestrations of Prague - Wikipedia

Isaac
Old 07-03-2022, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Thanks for the compliments.

Both kits are from the ABC magazines but they don't sell them. I use a Czech site that seems to have all the kits. He buys the mags and just sells the kits. all the kits have a code for these its abc-3017a and abc-6007a. The web site is - PaperModel.cz.

You can order by email .

He has mountains of kits but it may be worth while spending time looking for other diorama - I found about at least 6 more diorama. He will only sell the original kits - no photo copying !

Cheers
Mike
Old 07-03-2022, 08:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
In my early to mid '20s I worked as a printer in an antiquated "hot metal" shop. I operated a linotype machine and performed hand composition, plucking individual letters one at a time from a California case.
That's very interesting to me. I envy you for having been able to work with these techniques, although I'm sure it wasn't all beer and skittles.

One of the things that led me to becoming a computer programmer was working with Donald Knuth's TeX and METAFONT programs. His motivation for developing them was that his publisher, Addison-Wesley, stopped using Linotype and hand-setting (I think) for mathematical copy and he was dissatisfied with the photographic methods that replaced them.

I've been working with lettering lately, hand-lettering and with the computer, and one of my projects is to make a cast using some lead alloy that I bought from an online shop that sells supplies for casting models (mostly tin soldiers).

When my ship comes in, I'd like to have a real printing press for hand-setting. Or even better, a Linotype machine like the one Burgess Meredith had in the "Twilight Zone" (Spoiler! Printer's Devil - Wikipedia).

Last edited by Laurence Finston; 07-03-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Finston View Post
His motivation for developing them was that his publisher, Addison-Wesley, stopped using Linotype and hand-setting (I think) for mathematical copy and he was dissatisfied with the photographic methods that replaced them.
I just looked this up and I was wrong: They originally used a Monotype machine and the mathematics typesetting was done on the machine, not by hand (Donald E. Knuth, Digital Typography, pp. 3-4).
Old 07-05-2022, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Belated compliments on these excellent historical dioramas, Mike!

Don
Google Adsense