PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 10-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Spitfire Mk IX

Hi guys. I have decided to build my first diorama. I have a rough idea what i am going to include in the scene, the star of the scene will be the Mk IX Spitfire - JE-J with tail number EN398 has flown by Johnnie Johnson. The kit is one from the ModelArt series (#23) at 1:72 scale. I have some hangar models {wooden type and metal} there will also be a Tower which i have in Camouflage or plain effect. I am trying to get a MOOD to the scene, like a STANDBYE situation, maybe aircrew waiting around on grassed areas, with some refuelling going on. I guess i will PLAY and see what looks nice. Anything you may think of to add along the way, please give input and i will see what i can come up with. So first up is the build of the wonderful Mk IX Spitfire. I hope you enjoy this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Spitfire Mk IX-dscf1287.jpg   Spitfire Mk IX-dscf1288.jpg   Spitfire Mk IX-dscf1289.jpg   Spitfire Mk IX-dscf1290.jpg   Spitfire Mk IX-dscf1291.jpg  

Spitfire Mk IX-dscf1292.jpg   Spitfire Mk IX-dscf1294.jpg   Spitfire Mk IX-dscf1296.jpg   Spitfire Mk IX-dscf1297.jpg   Spitfire Mk IX-dscf1298.jpg  

Spitfire Mk IX-dscf1299.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
At 1/72 scale, there are a couple of air crew figure sets from Airfix that could come in handy. There are a couple of 1/72 jeeps out there that could come in handy as well the Bren carrier, Remember, a model by itself is just a model, but a model in action, tells a story. Good luck and waiting to see the outcome.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good start. Looking forward to seeing the diorama. I'll have to go back and read wing Leader.

Don
Old 10-14-2009, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Peter, this is going to be great. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

My only suggestions, work in a dog somehow. There always seems to be a base dog running around. And maybe some bicycles, the ground crew's best friend.

Mike
Old 10-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
At 1/72 scale, there are a couple of air crew figure sets from Airfix that could come in handy. There are a couple of 1/72 jeeps out there that could come in handy as well the Bren carrier, Remember, a model by itself is just a model, but a model in action, tells a story. Good luck and waiting to see the outcome.
Thanks for those suggestions, our friend Gixergs {phil} found some figures of ground crew that he has kindly offered to send me to add to the diorama - and these are the Airfix ones. I have a refuller somewhere which is also Airfix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Good start. Looking forward to seeing the diorama. I'll have to go back and read wing Leader.

Don
I am looking forward to it as well - never know how this will turn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomarc View Post
Peter, this is going to be great. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

My only suggestions, work in a dog somehow. There always seems to be a base dog running around. And maybe some bicycles, the ground crew's best friend.

Mike
These suggestions are brilliant mate - if it all comes together the scene should be great. I have looked LONGINGLY at some of the TANK based dioramas {paper and plastic mix} and the guys who made them are something special.
Google Adsense
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Here you go Pete the man himself and the Pooch!. Looking good my Mate I will get the figures of to you hopefully before the postal strike
Attached Thumbnails
Spitfire Mk IX-2058854771_394e25cea7.jpg  
Old 10-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixergs View Post
Here you go Pete the man himself and the Pooch!. Looking good my Mate I will get the figures of to you hopefully before the postal strike
Hey... Thanks for the photograph mate, puts me right in the zone for this and i will pray the figures beat the postal strike all the people out of work and still we get strikes, doesn't seem right does it, but i will steer away from that. Thanks again Phil
Old 10-15-2009, 06:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
AND....

Not sure how "multi-media" you want to go with this, but Flight Path makes a whole range of WWII airfield accessories in 1/72nd scale:

Flightpath 1/72nd Scale WWII Airfield Accessories Products Page

Could be good patterns if you want to sick with paper. If you want to make your own Fordson "N" tow tractor, I have a couple of books on that tractor with some good 3-views illustrations and details (plus photos!) I can email to you.

Mike
Old 10-15-2009, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
I can lend you his book as well if you want,get you right there with him. I have a lot of reference for him if you want ,he had Typhoons in his Wing so I just have a little bit about him
Old 10-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomarc View Post
AND....

Not sure how "multi-media" you want to go with this, but Flight Path makes a whole range of WWII airfield accessories in 1/72nd scale:

Flightpath 1/72nd Scale WWII Airfield Accessories Products Page

Could be good patterns if you want to sick with paper. If you want to make your own Fordson "N" tow tractor, I have a couple of books on that tractor with some good 3-views illustrations and details (plus photos!) I can email to you.

Mike
Thanks for the link, some REALLY good items there for sure Mike, will certainly be in mind during this build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixergs View Post
I can lend you his book as well if you want,get you right there with him. I have a lot of reference for him if you want ,he had Typhoons in his Wing so I just have a little bit about him
Phil, you are Mr Typhoon you tinker i am sure that there is very little you don't know about that aircraft {if indeed anything} But please don't entrust your book to the mail service - Rem memory stick point me in the right directions to the web and i will look - better that, than to have a book lost or ruined, but thanks for the offer my old mate
Google Adsense