PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Figurines and Anime

Old 01-17-2022, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Ghibli's Castle in the Sky flapter (1:6 scale)

This is a build of the 1:6 scale flapter from the Studio Ghibli film "Castle in the Sky" (Tenku no Shiro Laputa). The scale makes it possible to use 1:6 action figures as pilot.

This is another of the interesting flying machines Miyazaki has designed. A very curious single-person flying transport that is used extensively in the film.

The kit was designed by the talented Allen Tam. He named his rendition of the flapter the "folletto". It is very close to the one seen in the film, but it also has additional details.

It is very big: over 1m (40 inches) wingspan. The model is huge, but delightful to look at. The wings can be taken apart for easy storage.

The model is very well designed (as all of Allen's designs), and the graphics are beautiful. You can even see some detail of the engine through the ventilation louvers.

Instructions require careful study, but everything fits very well.

Apparently I misplaced a couple of parts for not reading carefully the instructions, but in the end doesn't look so bad.

I also liked the different options in badges, wing supports, and some other alternative parts.

I now regret that I didn't use separate strips for some of the parts. I believe it would have looked better with flush joints (specially in the engine covers) instead of using the tabs.

During manipulation, I damaged the red print on some surfaces, so I had to retouch them with acrylic paint, I lost a bit of the textured rivets.

The big size of the model is very nice: I could work easily on it, and most of the parts are very easy to cut, assemble, and handle.

I think the most difficult part was the keel, because there are a lot of parts that give rigidity and at the same time create the very complex curve of the keel. It took me most of the time. But once completed the rest started to fit all into place nicely.

After all, a very nice model to work on. But not an easy one. Certain skill is needed.

There is also an option of blue paddles holding the wings to make it look all closer to the original design of the film. I chose the red ones instead.

I guess it would have looked even more impressive with use of transparent film for the wings and the windshield. Still, the all-paper approach is nice to look at, and impressive as it is.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Ghibli's Castle in the Sky flapter (1:6 scale)-folletto_01.jpg   Ghibli's Castle in the Sky flapter (1:6 scale)-folletto_02.jpg   Ghibli's Castle in the Sky flapter (1:6 scale)-folletto_03.jpg   Ghibli's Castle in the Sky flapter (1:6 scale)-folletto_04.jpg   Ghibli's Castle in the Sky flapter (1:6 scale)-folletto_05.jpg  

Ghibli's Castle in the Sky flapter (1:6 scale)-folletto_06.jpg   Ghibli's Castle in the Sky flapter (1:6 scale)-folletto_07.jpg   Ghibli's Castle in the Sky flapter (1:6 scale)-folletto_11.jpg   Ghibli's Castle in the Sky flapter (1:6 scale)-folletto_09.jpg   Ghibli's Castle in the Sky flapter (1:6 scale)-folletto_10.jpg  

Ghibli's Castle in the Sky flapter (1:6 scale)-folleto_00.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2022, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Allen does some great designs and interesting subjects...
Old 01-17-2022, 09:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 169.37 MB
It appears www.goodduck.net is no longer in service...
(bummer...)

P-Lite
Old 01-17-2022, 10:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I just tried the site and it looks like its gone. Its been a long time since I remember seeing him on here. Too bad, he did some interesting threads.