PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 09-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
... this is not was Mr. Burmester had in mind as he worked on his curves ...

with lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
The Fairgate curve is very good, pick up their 30-60-90 triangle at the same time. That other curve is for mapping railroads, but has a lot of useful curves.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I believe this is the thread that was referred to for the fellow who had the idea.
http://www.kartonist.de/wbb2/thread.php?postid=78512
Old 09-28-2011, 01:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.23 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Ober Freak
Here you got the direct link to Robert Kofler's shop.
roko-kartonmodellbau
and translated via google into english
Google Translate

But I don't know if he will ship outside Europe, or how much the shipping costs would be for it.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:20 PM

For curiosity's sake would anyone here be interested in a set of these curves? From the manufacturer I'm looking at if I order a small batch there's a cost reduction of almost 1/3 the price. Which would mean that if I ordered the small batch and sold them here it would be less expensive for me, win-win in so far as I'm concerned. The cost would be somewhere between $30 to $40 not including shipping/handling.

Edit: The cost would be for three templates, not just one. Very similar to the set shown here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_stencils.jpg
Old 10-01-2011, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Yes I would!...and that seems to be a reasonable price.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
"Shapeways is an online service that will produce 3D “printed” objects from custom designs. They will accept designs made with a number of CAD packages, including Google’s Sketchup or Wings3D (both free), or by simply customizing existing objects in the Shapeways catalog. Objects can be cast in various mediums, including plastic, stainless steel, alumide, glass, and sterling silver."

See: Shapeways | GeekDad | Wired.com

You would need a CAD drawing of the French curves.
I do not know how thick the curve could be printed in stainless steel.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:10 PM

The size of a large French curve in a Burmester set is approximately 12 x 6 inches (as a rectangular bounding box). Let's say the curve is actually about 1/3 of that overall area. The minimum wall thickness as given by Shapeways for stainless steel is 3mm (which one can assume is a structural integrity recommendation). Stainless steel printing is $8.00 per cubic centimeter.

If we do a little bit of simple math we arrive at the following:
((12 x 6) / 3) * 2.54 * 2.54 * 0.3 * 8 = $370

As a rule of thumb stainless steel printing is more often used in circumstances where very complex shapes are required. For flat two-dimensional parts a machining process will always be cheaper. The high costs are not due to machine usage time, it's more a result of machine setup which will vary (wildly at that) from manufacturer to manufacturer. The surface would also be quite pitted, which you would likely feel as you slid the blade along the part's edge. The curves would require grinding after printing in order to smooth them.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
I think he wants metal ones to use with a blade. I have a nice set of plastic ones, but only use a pencil with them.
Man i thought i don't have to think.....-

Just purchase the desired steelplate, then cut around an existing or a self produced curve(set)

Means some time, depending on the tools (minimum is a steelsaw and a rasp and sanding-paper) available, but with heart at the right place this could make everyone.

You could ask some steel company yours around or make some inquires at model-clubs near you. There is a batch of 'working'-modelers-club, which are into bigger scale machines where someone need to have slightly heavier equiment
Old 12-24-2011, 10:10 PM

I had the curves cut for Christmas so here are the results. I didn't resize the pictures so you could see where the "defects" occur. These defects are a result of where the waterjet starts and ends on the profile curves. As I didn't opt for a low taper process, the edges of the curves have a slight taper which I intend to remove (along with the start/end pits) with a rotary tool. It's not just the taper though, they could do with some deburring and polishing. The pictures will show the front of the curve (where the profile is perfect) followed by the back of the curve (where the profile is less than perfect). Finally, a picture of all three curves together.

Parabolas FRONT
Parabolas BACK
Hyperbolas FRONT
Hyperbolas BACK
Ellipses FRONT
Ellipses BACK
Complete Burmester Set

I'll post pics of the finished curves when done.