PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 05-19-2012, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
"By gosh I think I've got it!"

I'm not sure if you guys know this, but ever since my attempt at Marek's 1/50
Spitfire, I've wanted to improve my paper modeling skills.

Here is my most obvious shortcomings.

And here, I thought, was my most successful seam work at the time. But it wasn't enough. I knew that this hobby would be something that I would/will
never give up. So, I decided that since I already enjoy building, why not improve while I'm at it?

This was the first time I had ever worked on any model that was not Sci-Fi. I was not happy with inefficiencies
and decided to do more research, and more work. This was a little over a year ago.

After deciding that the Spitfire was too much for me, I decided to take what I've learned, and move on.
(I plan to get back to that project now that, I feel, that I have a more improved skill set to build with).
Enter the Gremir P-47D Torrid Tessie. I feel this was a major turning point
in my paper modeling venture. It was the first time where I did extensive research on not only the modeling subject, but modeling techniques.

Before then, I had looked at threads for the sole purpose of "looking". Sure, I still do that today, but I have a lot more appreciation of a modeler's building
techniques. At that time, I used others' threads to diagnose my shortcomings,
and figure our proper solutions. And I'd like to thank those members here who had not only exceptional build skills, but quality narratives.
That without their all around quality work, I would not have performed to the extent that I did.
That was a little less than a year ago.

Fast forward to today. Between the time of the Tessie build and now, I had
been experimenting with paper preparation. I've now built an array of
substances that I can coat future models with. I felt this period was especially important.
I noticed that when a model is coated, it's easier to cut
and sandpaper can be used on the edges effectively. This proved to be
important in my most recent tests.

On a cold 1 AM morning, I reached my goal - at least to an extent. I'm
working with Denis, Neroscope on the forums, with creating model instructions
for his superb "Zeppbuster" design. If you guys want a refresher of what that
looks like:

FH-XX ZeppBuster.

It's an impressive model, and the graphics are on par, and arguably, better
than say, Halinski.

I spent a good two hours working on a specific area of the model - the area
of choice was naturally the shark area. I had an extreme amount of fun just
gluing together the first 4 pieces. I feel my seam work has definitely improved
over the past year - and it sure makes me happy! (There are still some areas
I need to work out, but for the most part, I'm more than satisfied).

So I guess that's it! I wanted to share with you guys my joys with this aspect
of paper modeling. I wanted to share with you guys the joys anyone can have when one has the pure desire to improve.
There is much satisfaction to be had, and even though it is enjoyable to go from model to model without
a care, I can assure you all, that everyone wants to improve. That when kept
in tandem with fun, improvement will be a gratifying experience.
Google Adsense
Old 05-19-2012, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Way to go, I've been sort of a similar position. So after doing some freebies and just different bits and pieces, now moving into commercial printed kits. That's not to say that some of the freebies aren't as well done (maybe even better sometimes) then the commercial kits. It just the "free" part (plus being able to reprint) and not cutting into something you spend maybe 15-20 bucks on.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:33 PM

Thanks Wayne!

I made the transition from "free" home-printed kits to "commercially" pre-printed kits.
However, I wouldn't call it much of a transition, but more so that I've incorporated these pre-printed kits in my building.

I agree completely! There is a good number of commercial kits that absolutely pale in
comparison to free kits (a good example could be J.Rukr's Sulaco and many others
that escape my mind at the moment).

I fear messing up on pre-printed kits, especially since I know reprinting a scanned
piece does not retain the fidelity of the actual kit. Hopefully in the future I'll be able
to overcome such a fear, especially since these pre-printed kits are for the most part,
exceptional!
Old 05-20-2012, 12:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Way to go Johnray

I am really pleased to see you step up to the challenge and push yourself out of your building comfort zone. The only thing that will limit you now is the quality of the model.
I expect to be competing with you at a local IPMS show in the near feature.

Jim
Old 05-20-2012, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow, the seamwork is impressive... how did you do it?
Is it just a matter of burnishing techniques or just really accurate cuts and careful joints?
Google Adsense
Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 AM

Thanks Jim!

Yes, it really is an enriching experience. However, I still have a long list of skills to
become proficient at.
I do hope so! It's one of my goals - to meet, or even compete with other
papermodelers. I've been hoping for two years now, so I don't think hoping for a third
will hurt either. Do you plan to compete at Orangecon 2012? I assume that impressive
Sherman will be making an appearance? (In an unfinished form?) I'll try to make it, but I am 100% sure I'll be attending KOC SVSM 2013.

Scyeige, thanks!

Now I'm no expert, but I'll gladly tell you how I worked these seams.

I think paper preparation is important - more so for home printed kits rather than pre-
printed kits. The paper needs a coat, whether it be applied by spray or by hand brush.
I've tried both, and the rattle gives smooth results consistently. However, I also
like hand brushing. For this particular test, I used a 1 inch wide brush to apply Pledge
Klear (Future) floor wax on the paper prior to cutting. It's very important to apply a
relatively small amount of Future, otherwise the print may discolor. I found that when
applied to "bare" normal cardstock, one must be especially careful when applying Klear.

I applied Future to the point where a soft sheen appeared. Ultimately, the coated
sheets will be more forgiving and durable. One can even sand the paper edges without
any fraying. So I guess what I'm saying is, your model will only benefit from being
prepared with a modeling coat.

After paper preparation, cutting is second to none. One would do well to keep
consistent cuts. In picture 5 of the Zeppbuster, it is apparent that I didn't make the
most accurate and precise cuts on the foremost piece. Unlike plastic, a poor cut
cannot be so easily remedied with putty or sanding, so the importance of cutting must
be stressed.

Forming using burnishing techniques is important as well. I like to use stainless steel
rods of varying diameters to yield curves. I also use the spherical end of my
paintbrushes and a mouse pad to form smooth edges.

Then of course is gluing. But I feel that if you've succeeded in the first three steps,
you'll be home free at that point!

Hope this helps!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
I doubt if I will have any thing elaborate for OrangeCon though I may build and show Nando's Little Boy Bomb it is a simple model (less than 1000 parts) but very distinctive. I will see you at OrangCon and you will have a model to show.

As for the Firefly I will be starting a thread once I get a good percentage of the track links built.

Jim
Old 05-21-2012, 03:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for the explanation... I will try it out!

Cheers!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
It is great to read your words. Your happiness in reaching higher levels and the joy you feel with the hobby are very important elements at the moment of making paper models. You have certainly refined your skills/techniques.

The steps you followed shows a natural process of evolution in this hobby where you never stop learning.

Hope to see more of your nice builds.

Regards,

Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am also enjoying the conversation between you and Jim and look forward to seeing pictures of the event.

You are going about the self-education process very systematically and developing some great hand skills and methods. I am finding your reports to be very helpful, with lots for me to learn about the craft.

Don
Google Adsense