PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
What Paper or Cardstock ?

Being a beginner HO model trian hobbiest and new to this forum I would like to ask one question at this time .
I have a Kodak ESP Office 6150 4 in 1 printer and would like to know what paper / card stock is suggested to use for these paper models and what size to best fit these downloadable paper models for a HO gauge platform ? Thanks for any reply, suggestion , or help with this .
Wayne...AKA...LOCO MOTION

Google Adsense
Old 06-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Seems like the most used cardstock is 110 lb (199gsm) index and 65 lb (177gsm) cover. The gsm is grams per square meter. You can find USLetter size cardstock at most office supply stores or places like WalMart.

The downloadable models from Europe and Asia are generally to be printed on A4 size pages, which if printed to fit to a USLetter size page will most likely be rescaled to a smaller size. If you can find some 9" x 12" cardstock it can be cut to the A4 size which is 297 x 210 mm (11.7 x 8.3 in). Legal size cardstock can also be cut to A4 size.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
As an addition to Doug's comment, the 9" by 12" stock is often called tagboard. To further muddy the issue, tagboard comes in medium and heavy weights...medium is about equivalent to 65 lb coverstock, and heavy is equivalent to 110 lb cover. And, you might find that the manufacturer calls its heavy paper index stock, rather than cardstock. If the 9 by 12 size fits your printer, there is no need to cut it down in order to print A4 on it...just tell the printer settings you are using A4, and the stupid thing will believe you. If the printer will only accept 8.5 inch (letter and legal paper) width, then trim down the width of the wider tagboard. If you aren't thoroughly confused by now, some of the larger models are printed on A3 size, which is about 11.7 inches by 16.6 inches. The American equivalent is tabloid (11 by 17 inches). Tagboard is available in 12 by 18 inch size, which is my workaround for printing A3...but you need a wide printer to handle it. Confused enough, eh?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
This site shows conversions of pounds to metric paper weights: Understanding Paper Weights – Paperandmore.com
Old 06-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Also need to consult your printer documentation to see what paper it will run. Some printers have trouble pulling cardstock through the feed path, or are limited to lighter card (65lb).

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I'm an oddball here. I've only been doing this for a year and a half, maybe. I have been using lighter weight paper than most (old ad slicks on 40 lb roughly). For buildings I still use it but use cereal box to reinforce it. On a project I did a few weeks ago, a pavillion which is in my cousin's town square on his model railroad, the columns were difficult at 40 lb, so I printed them on heavier paper, I think it was 25 lb. Different projects are easier on different weight paper.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Welcome to the site!

Sometimes the download kit will tell you what cardstock or paper to use. Usually designer puts this information on the first page.

It is easier to work with lighter cardstock than the heavier stuff.

One big problem is using too much glue, this causes problems with parts sticking together as well as longer drying time and High possibility of deforming the parts.

Another helpful hint: Pre-form all parts. This means roll part to pre-form cones and tubes.

Nice crisp fold lines are needed for accurate bend points. Best way to get them is to "crease" or "score" the fold line. This is easily done using some kind of embossing tool. A kitchen "butter" knife will work, knitting needles, sewing products, etc... can be used, local art supply stores will have art embossers for sale (bought one in Anchorage for $1.95).

Finally a really good straightedge will come in handy as well. Helps align hobby knife cutting, scoring fold lines, etc...

Click on the download tab (upper right corner on the homepage) Browse down until you see the self-help links, lots of good info to help get started.

Hope this helps!

Mike
Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
I don't use a 'standard-one weight fits all' paper on any of my models.

Most often I do use about 46lb card stock..... However, I'm building the FG 1:24 Typhoon and I've used letter weight bond, 46lb, ~65lb, 90lb and 110 lb on the same model. Depends on what part it is and what kind of weight it might have to bare once built.. Oh, and for the wing support spars, I'm using some thin cardboard from a pizza box..

Sorry I don't have a simple answer for you.

Swampfox
Old 06-07-2012, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
First off I want to thank all those that replied to help me ! Second, I apologise for not giving enough correct info for my ? . So I checked my printer and I see marks on the edge of the copy glass that say 8 1/2 X 11 and down a little ways on the long side it says A 4 . Also I'm in the United States from New Jersey and the paper models I will be building will all be HO size buildings of various kinds . I see one site has a nice Church paper model that will be my first one and I will try and find the A 4 stock or the suggested weights of paper in the range of 45 lb to 65 lb . Please feel free to offer up any more suggestions or tips and I want to thank you all!!

Wayne.......AKA.....LOCOMOTION

Old 06-07-2012, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
You can get some 9 x 12 medium weight tagboard here.
Pacon Tagboard ,100 / Pack | OfficeWorld.com
It is down the page a bit.

The medium weight is close to 65lb cardstock. You can cut it down to 8-1/2 x 12 so it will fit in your printer. If you want, you can trim it to A4 size. A bonus is the cut offs can be used for joining strips if you want to use them instead of tabs. Make sure you get the white and not the manila stuff, and make sure you choose medium weight.

As stated before almost any office supply store will have some 110 lb and 65 lb cardstock. Georgia Pacific and Wausau are a couple of brand names. If there is a Sam's Club near you that you have access to you can buy a pack of 250 sheets USLetter 110 lb cardstock for cheap. I paid between $7 and $8 US for a pack a few weeks ago.
Google Adsense