PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Shouldn't "expire" unless stored with poor ventilation (i.e. damp). A little WD-40 or light oil in the package, then wrap with tissue should keep them nice (just remember to clean them thoroughly before use or the oil will discolor your card). A little rust can be removed with a few sweeps over a sharpening stone so is not that big a deal.
Yogi
Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad Cutter View Post
Rubber Grip Precision Art Knife (AK-4) $16.19 -
5 blades per pack. $4.49- Precision Art Blade, 5-pack (KB4-S/5)

9mm Stainless Steel Auto-Lock Graphics Knife (SAC-1) $10.39 - 9mm Snap-Off Art Blade, 10-pack (A1160B) $9.49

http://www.olfa.com/ArtKnives.aspx

Best I have used so far.
that's quite expensive don't you think?

but thnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by papersmithforge View Post
I use a Tajima cutter. There is a thread on it here. I use the 60 degree LCB-30 blades as I hadn't located any US retailer that carried LCB-39s when I acquired it. I have found 3 seemingly compatible sources for the 30 degree blades as follows:

McMasterCarr - they sell a precision knife with 0.35" (9 mm) 7 segment blades that judging from the catalog page appear to be 30 degree blades. Item # 24585A6
Westward Tools - a Canadian company (unsure) that manufactures 30 degree art blades, you can find them at Grainger Industrial Supply along with the a cutter by the same manufacturer. Drillspot source.
Olfa - as Wad Cutter mentioned they make 30 degree snap off blades
i have some exp with snap offs didn't quite like them (the scars speak for themselves)

thnx

ultra stone
Old 07-05-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Shouldn't "expire" unless stored with poor ventilation (i.e. damp). A little WD-40 or light oil in the package, then wrap with tissue should keep them nice (just remember to clean them thoroughly before use or the oil will discolor your card). A little rust can be removed with a few sweeps over a sharpening stone so is not that big a deal.
Yogi
thnx but my blades came sterilized and packed in airtight bags

so will anything get to them ?

ultra stone
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Ultra, so long as they cut clean for the first hour of use, your blades are just fine...in fact, one hell of a bargain. When you can pick them up for 3 cents a blade, you can stand to replace a whole lot of them and still not go broke.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Ultra, so long as they cut clean for the first hour of use, your blades are just fine...in fact, one hell of a bargain. When you can pick them up for 3 cents a blade, you can stand to replace a whole lot of them and still not go broke.
well that's a relief to hear

thnx

ultra stone
Google Adsense
Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
The expiration date applies only to their medical use, how long the manufacturers guarantees that the blades will remain sterile in their foil packets. This has no bearing to how long they can be used for other purposes. I have 10year old surgical blades, past the expiration date, which work fine.
You got a very good deal on your blades.
When you shop for blades the ones I recommend you avoid are #11 blades made in China since their quality varies all over the place. Blades manufactured in Japan, Taiwan and the US cost more but they are generally of better quality and hold their edge longer.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
The expiration date applies only to their medical use, how long the manufacturers guarantees that the blades will remain sterile in their foil packets. This has no bearing to how long they can be used for other purposes. I have 10year old surgical blades, past the expiration date, which work fine.
You got a very good deal on your blades.
When you shop for blades the ones I recommend you avoid are #11 blades made in China since their quality varies all over the place. Blades manufactured in Japan, Taiwan and the US cost more but they are generally of better quality and hold their edge longer.
well it's an itsy bitsy too late for that

let's hope that those are the good chinese not the bad ones

thnx

ultra stone