PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 03-30-2013, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
I have the same problem. Well, I don't consider it a problem. I have been collecting kits and I'm really not sure how many I have, both free and purchased. I have no idea when I can actually get enough free time to start building, as I have four children that take up all of my time. And I'm 49. Oh, well, some day. But I still keep collecting.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Crowe View Post
You know you have a problem when you can measure your collection in feet rather than inches

Tim
Tim, you really don't have a problem until you start measuring the collection in terms of the number of bookcases needed to house it.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks everyone for the varied replies.
Rockpaperscissor like you i also acquired a couple of the early Maly Modelarz kits without realising the paper stock. I would like to build them as is with maybe colouring to improve them, but they are well and truly buried at the bottom of the pile. I have the Minsk and the Belleau Wood.
Jim G. Oh boy, perhaps frame the cover and one page of the kit and display on the wall... The way i'm going i won't have enough wall!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:17 PM

phew,.. I thought I was the only one!,..
Old 03-30-2013, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Amassing more items than one ever can use is common to all enthusiasts, not at all unique to paper modelers. An enthusiastic knitter has more needles, patterns, and related gadgets than she will ever use. An enthusiastic fisherman has more rods and reels then he can ever use at one time, and more lures than he can use in his lifetime. Long ago I resigned myself to the fact that I'll never catch up with the models yet unbuilt, the books yet unread, the guns yet unfired, the games yet unplayed, and so forth. The tragedy for me would be that after an enthusiast's death, relatives would toss his amassed collection in the trash without realizing its value. Perhaps we should ask our heirs to pass such unbuilt models on to other members of the forum; perhaps there even could be a specific place in the forum for such inherited kits.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 129.82 MB
Here are my 2cts:
1) Try to restrain your collection to a theme, a scale or something like that. You may nevertheless build whatever you like...
2) As long as there is no international or national library collecting these items (unlike the books in BL or LoC &c.), they may be lost to the posterity. At least one should have them catalogued and/or scanned like in the AGK Database (http://www.kartonmodellbau.org).
(Interesting question: What becomes of the databases after the technique storing them is lost or the server firm bankrupt?)
Kind regards,-
Papercaptain

Last edited by Papercaptain; 03-30-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: URL added
Old 03-30-2013, 05:16 PM

yale and paper captain you both raise the same interesting point. Preserving paper models, unlike other mediums (brass, resin, plastic) paper i would think can deteriorate in a much shorter time span.
What would have the more significance to the paper world, a well preserved kit or a scan?
Would storing paper models in a vacuum sealed bag and in a light tight box offer any advantage as to just having them sit in my archive storage box?
Papercaptain my main interest is aircraft carriers. I do have the usual other suspects, aircraft, architecture and rail. On a side note i model the Denver and Rio Grande in HOn3 (1:87), needless to say i have collections of other prototypes and scales.
I think modellers today have it the best with high quality manufacturing techniques available to all hobbies.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
I consider all my purchases carefully to support deserving businesses and designers. Small businesses deserve all the help we can afford.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
Even if never built!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Ah, yeah, that is a common disease for all us. I started a long time ago with cardmodels, my registration on the old cardmodels.net was on 2005. Wow!!! 8 years. I started to download every model and but several ones.
After a while I realized I'm not going to build nothing on big scale like 1/32, 1/33 and I don't have time to build just the ones I'm very interested so I began to restrict my purchases and downloads.
Anyway I've more models than I think I'm going to build but I don't care. Sometimes I'm just has to see the models, other I want to know hot the kit is designed and so for.

Tags
collect