PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
Back them up to disk now!!!!!!!
Play safe ... Back 'em up to two (or more) disks ... ASAP !!

I made the mistake of putting the lot onto one (Brand New) hard drive, which waited until it was sure that it contained the ONLY copies, and then scrambled it's directory so I couldn't get at them.

Johnny.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I got my Hard drive back ... complete with ALL my archive files intact.

The Secret Squirrels wouldn't go into any detail as to how they'd done it ...

BUT a few days later they pointed this out to me ...

PC COMPUTER ENGINEERS REPAIR TOOLS FIX PROBLEMS 2011 | eBay

I've bought one, but haven't tried it out yet as I've not (yet) got any more duff drives. Fill yer boots if anyone else wants a copy. It ain't expensive, and the profits go to a charity.

Johnny.
This disc sounds like the answer to a lot of computer users prayers, unfortunately, for whatever reasons, it can't be shipped to the U.S.
Anyone know of a similar product that is available in the states?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgdenBob View Post
This disc sounds like the answer to a lot of computer users prayers, unfortunately, for whatever reasons, it can't be shipped to the U.S. Anyone know of a similar product that is available in the states?
Just a bunch of PD utilities. What sorts of things are you interested in doing on your computer? Chances are 99% of them you'd never actually run.

CCleaner is a great housekeeping utility for cleaning up the disk (e.g. Chrome, Explorer crap, left over temp files etc.) and registry, and has a great "proper" uninstall system, and the options to edit the start up.

From the same people, Recuva for recovering files, Defraggler for defragging the HDD, and Speccy for system information.

Malware (like viruses) are ever-evolving and new ones all the time. You probably do not want to limit yourself to some old version. Just download the latest one from Microsoft.

Free Malware Removal Tool | Anti-Malware Scan Software

Alternatively, Malwarebytes is very popular,

Microsoft also give free diagnostic and recovery tools, choose the one for your system.

Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset

As for Viruses, AVG Anti Virus is free, and fantastic (IMHO).
Old 05-07-2013, 01:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Thank you Sparticus!
You have broadened my horizons quite a bit. I'm familiar with Malwarebytes, but the other items are new to me. Glad I asked.

Bob
Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 AM

A tip for using CCleaner and the Start-up is this...

As you install software over the years, or as software updates (e.g. Chrome), sometimes they put update-checks in the start-up. At some point one of these was installed without my knowledge or permission, and it froze my laptop every half hour or so, and for about five full minutes. I disabled everything in there I didn't recognise or want, and now my system boots much faster and NEVER freezes.

Oh. I've just noticed "apsdaemon.exe" (Apple Push) is in the Startup. Disabling that POS right now...
Attached Thumbnails
Paper model collecting-ccleaner.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2013, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
This is off the original topic but:

If your are using Windows, there are lot of useful programs for maintaining your computer here:
Sysinternals Suite
These are all MicroSoft sponsored utilities and are free downloads.
I started keeping my data in categorized folders on my computers HD, and when the folder gets to 700Mb or 4 or 8 Gb, or every couple of months, I make a back up to an external USB HD and on a CD or DVD which gets stored in a cool dry place, and start a new folder. Some data ends up being duplicated, but that can be a plus. Even if my HDs get fubared most of my saved data is recoverable from the optical disks.

I use programs from Portable Apps dot com or WinPenPack when ever possible, so I don't mess up my registry. Crash recovery or transferring programs from one computer to another is easier. I end up having only five or six programs that actually have to be installed and change the registry or try to change the start up options. This keeps my computer running fast.
Using portable browsers also means that if your browser settings are hijacked, it is easy to delete the browser and install a new clean browser.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 296.90 MB
I love paper models!
I have a fabulous archive of downloaded paper models that will probably never be printed or built...
If I find a paper model kit or book at Powell's or Half Price Books I usually buy it...
Then there are the ones I have cut out and haven't built yet...
And the ones I have printed and abandoned...
I have a membership plus to RobIves.com and faithfully download every model he makes available...
I have Paul Spooner's Moving Animals and Museum of the Mind...and 2 copies of the Museum of Lost Wonder...
And every Flying Pig or Karakuri or Walter Ruffler kit I have seen...

I've built all the models from the Toymaker's Workshop and the Toymaker's Christmas.

Somewhere along the line I realized that for most paper model books, it is cheaper to buy a second copy than to scan and print in case I screw something up..

I used to have more than 3000 rubber stamps that mostly got used when I stamped them into my "catalog" of rubber stamps. I have given most of them away.

The best part of digital paper models is that the only place they take up space is on my hard drive and my backup and most of them are free, which makes my daughter happy.

Now, fabric and yarn and paper - those take up space....
Old 05-15-2013, 04:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 623.63 MB
Well most of us must enjoy downloading different paper models, so if they all get wiped from your computer you can just enjoy downloading a load more.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Hello, my name is Corey, and I am a Model-a-holic.

I don't know how many models I have in download format, and how many I have on disk, and I do a few printed ones around. It's a lot though.

Collecting them is a hobby in it's own right. Building them is a second hobby!

CT
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 AM

for me its more like compulsion/obsession - I just have to have all them cold deamons from second world war! simply have to! I own over 40 vehicles in pre-printed kits (I do not download, I do not print - tried once and frankly it sux! wrong colors, wrong paper, just felt wrong) for now, and more and more are being released (Ferdinand!)... neverending story. if only I had enough life to finish them all xD
Google Adsense

Tags
collect