PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Red face Paper model collecting

G'day everyone. I was just wondering if there is a strange irony in paper modelling. As a very big newbie to this medium (and stuffing everything i touch) i noticed that i have become a card kit collector. Even complex kits are i think very reasonably priced and generally much more affordable than a plastic or resin equivalent (in particular when the scale goes north of 1:100 or so). I have been steadily buying anything that appeals to me. However, looking at the average build time on a larger or more complex kit i would need to live to 250 to finish them. I should stop buying kits but i can't! Even unbuilt i find the artwork fascinating. Everyones thoughts.
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Same problem. Often end up buying a kit because it just looks nice.

Niki
Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Ditto. Same here.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
You know you have a problem when you can measure your collection in feet rather than inches

Tim
Old 03-30-2013, 05:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Buying and collecting printed kits that will most likely never get built is a common affliction. Buying and collecting electronic kits that will most likely never get printed or built is a variation on the theme. Downloading and collecting free electronic kits is..., well, it is.

"I don't have a paper model problem. I acquire paper models, no problem."
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I have quite a pile too. Both published and self-printed kits - some of those free, and some purchased. I have a lot of vintage Maly kits that I bought before I found out that most of them are unbuildable because of the awful paper. I plan on scanning and recoloring some of those. Like you, others just caught my eye at the time I came across them. Some I'd download because of a fleeting interest. It's all part of the fun (and the addiction)
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Crowe View Post
You know you have a problem when you can measure your collection in feet rather than inches

Tim
I'm sure it is...
Old 03-30-2013, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
Artwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by card View Post
G'day everyone. I was just wondering if there is a strange irony in paper modelling. As a very big newbie to this medium (and stuffing everything i touch) i noticed that i have become a card kit collector. Even complex kits are i think very reasonably priced and generally much more affordable than a plastic or resin equivalent (in particular when the scale goes north of 1:100 or so). I have been steadily buying anything that appeals to me. However, looking at the average build time on a larger or more complex kit i would need to live to 250 to finish them. I should stop buying kits but i can't! Even unbuilt i find the artwork fascinating. Everyones thoughts.
I think that you have it correct - that the unbuilt models are artwork in their own right. Sometimes they are so beautiful that I am loathe to cut into them. Maybe we need to discuss how best to display such a collection

Think of yourself as an art collector.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
I'm right with you, Card. I've over a thousand kits downloaded to my computer, most free. I'm 67 years old this coming June. Will I ever complete them? You do the math!

Garland
Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
What? You mean you're supposed to maybe build everything you've accumulated!?! How about just starting on them. Like in the plastic model car world were we say if you glue the engine block together its an official start.
Will agree that some of those I just sit and stare in amazement at the artwork.
Google Adsense

Tags
collect