PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 04-09-2013, 06:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
First time ever questions

Hey guys,

This is my first excursion into card model building and I have some extreme beginner questions. I would appreciate any help.

1. Do you cut inside or outside the black lines?

2. How to you shape a tube (like a fuselage) that does NOT have a circular shape, but more elliptical (like a mig 21).

3. How do you hold a glue joint without deforming the paper shape?

4. Is there a beginner build on this site that is step by step with photos?

Thanks so much for any help!
Google Adsense
Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapo2109 View Post
Hey guys,

This is my first excursion into card model building and I have some extreme beginner questions. I would appreciate any help.

1. Do you cut inside or outside the black lines? I usually try to cut right on the center of the line.

2. How to you shape a tube (like a fuselage) that does NOT have a circular shape, but more elliptical (like a mig 21). There are several ways to do this, when forming shapes like this I use a nitting needle or dowl rod and a foam mouse pad to work the shape into the paper.

3. How do you hold a glue joint without deforming the paper shape? Once you have the piece formed to the final shape and it stays that way this becomes much less of a problem. For large joints try using a pair of needle nose pliers.

4. Is there a beginner build on this site that is step by step with photos?
What is it that you are interested in building? A good source for beginners is Card modeling FAQ Card Modeling FAQ

Thanks so much for any help!

Hope this helps!
Good luck
Old 04-09-2013, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the response. #1 was a great help. I'm not sure I was clear with #2. I think I understand the concept of rolling the paper to make a cylinder. I was more thinking about this specific example:

I was just reading and found out about bulkheads.

The FG Mig 21 model I have has a fuselage in 2 parts: the main body (which is elliptical) and the top canopy. There is what appears to be a former (bulkhead) on the printed sheet, but it is not referred to in the instructions. The "bulkhead" is the entire fuselage shape, and therefore cannot be used as a bulkhead, since the fuselage is actually two different parts. Also, this "bulkhead" appears that it would only fit in the center of the fuselage anyway, since there is a little of a cone shape at the front and rear.

When I glue the tabs of the main fuselage, the elliptical shape is not maintained, but rather an odd out of wack circle. Likewise, when gluing on the top Canopy piece, its shape is not maintained either.

I am finding that most of the models on FG have little in the way of instructions and assume the builder knows how to manipulate the materials.

As to the question of what type of model...right now, just aircraft. I thought I saw a detailed build with instructions and lots of pictures on a Piper Cub, but now I can't find it.

Are there any detailed, step by step, how-to builds on the website?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:58 AM

I forgot to add...thanks for the tip on the Faq!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Some models have numerous formers to fit inside the fuselage to get it into shape. Some of the parts with printed details also help to get the correct shape.

It is always best to dry fit all parts before applying glue. If you cut outside the line and the part is too big it is easier to trim more off to get the correct fit. If you cut inside the line and the part is too small it is very difficult if not impossible to compensate.

Long tweezers that are squeezed to open are good to hold seams until the glue has set up enough. Also try long acrylic rods or seam allowance tools like the quilters and other needle work folks use. If you hold the glue joint for a 20 count it is usually long enough to ensure a good bond.

Use round dowels or other round cylinder shaped objects to help form cylinders. Start with a diameter that is large then work your way down to a diameter that is slightly smaller that the finished diameter needed. That technique helps in keeping unsightly folds from forming on the part and the final smaller diameter allows for some rebound to help in maintaining the correct final diameter.

The best thing to use is patience. Do not be tempted to jump from one part to another until the glue has has time to set up. Use the glue sparingly.

Invest in some sort of colored pencils or markers to color the white edge of the card stock on cut parts. It will enhance the finished look greatly. A lot of unsightly white edges ruins a final product. Edge color with the unprinted side facing you so if you slip the graphics won't get marred.

I have not seen any step by step builds like your request. Check out the Tips and Tricks section to get a lot of helpful information.

Mostly just enjoy the hobby. If it starts to get frustrating take a break.

What is good about paper models is you can usually reprint parts that you mess up.
Google Adsense
Old 04-09-2013, 10:01 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
The "bulkhead" your referring to is not a bulkhead, but merely an indication of what the fuselage shape should look like. The Mig-21 does take some fiddling with, but the design is very good to get the shape correct. I have built a very large number of this kit (see this link 1/144 Mig-21 Beta/One Man Group Build ), so I think I can help you, at least with this particular one. The top of the fuselage has small marks for slits the the tabs of the spine fit into. I found that cutting on the middle of those lines, gave just enough "spring" to the spine to maintain its shape. Glue in sections is the best advice for long parts like that. Let me know how else I can help you.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent questions!

I always enjoy threads like this, and I always learn from them.

Thanks for asking these questions.

Don
Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. It all helps a lot. I am working my way through the FAQ, but my excitement and lack of patience at the moment begs me to ask more questions...

Texman.. RR MEtallic on that mig? What is that and where can I get it? You sprayed it with Dulcoat before cutting out the parts? Is this to protect the ink while working with the parts?

I understood the part about the slits for the canopy in the mig. Its just that the shape I ending up with is not correct...it is all lopsided..both the tube main body and the canopy.

Maybe the card stock I got from Hobby lobby is not stiff enough. It didn't say on the package what the weight was.

Texman I would appreciate some help very much. I really don't know where to start or what to do first. I am fumbling in the dark.

BTW..I tried spraying the paper with Krylon Clear Coat, but then the glue wouldn't stick.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 AM

And Don, I got several thousand questions!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 AM

Doug, thanks for the reply. I made a shopping list from it. I wonder if one of you Magicians could create such a post. A step by step build for beginners. Maybe from an easier free model we can download and build along and ask questions.

Yeah! A Workshop! That's what I would love to see here!
Google Adsense

Tags
biginner, newbie, questions