PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 09-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapo2109 View Post
I have tried now to build five or so models. In every single case, there are major parts that simply do not fit. My last attempt is the free Fokker EIII from modele Kartone. I read the posts on the Fokker Challenge, but the fuselage skins are too long for the frame by about a 1/4". It's not a printing issue, since all these fuse parts were on the same sheet. So frustrating!!

I just want to give up.
Paper is an interesting medium. Due to the grain (how it is positioned when it is being made) can make a big difference on how easy it is to fold and roll.

Another problem might be how the parts were cut out. Do you cut right on the line, or outside the part, leaving the outline? If you cut the opposite end on the outside of the part, it will be long.

Using to much glue sometimes allows the paper to stretch, deform and never allow the glue joint to dry properly.

One neat trick is to work the part to a preshape of the final part, if overdone this can cause the part to stretch from overworking it (tears fibers taking away strength while making the part bigger).

All it really takes is lots of practice! Papermodeling is a skill, not just gluing Part A to Part B like other model kits.

That is why you see so many threads here about tools that others have found usefull. These "tools" are found after a search, the whole time you keep saying to yourself, "There has to be a better way....".

Good Luck with your issue, if you can post a picture to help us understand what is happening, someone might have an easy answer for you!

Mike
Old 09-01-2013, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
Thumbs up a little tip!

gwapo2109 your not alone! I have the same problem also with my own designs hey? i'm not perfect either! but I do not let it get the best of me! you need help too I see? no problem that was my first guess? anyway my friends help here to encourage not to give up so easy? if you first don't succeed try try again? and I do try even harder! but it don't make me wanna stop!! doing it! completely. try drawing it first on paper then go from there and see what happens? ok? I hope this helps you out!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've found a lot of printers (both cheap and expensive) don't print exactly to proportion. Here's what I do when I suspect the printer is printing strangely...

1- Open a Paint program and draw a square box, like 1000x1000 pixels
2- Print the picture on your printer
3- Measure the sides of the box, and make sure they are the same length

If they aren't exactly the same length, then the printer doesn't print to proportion, which will almost certainly cause major fit issues in the models. If you know what the printer is doing, you may be able to adjust the model page proportions slightly to compensate. Hang in there, buddy!
Old 09-01-2013, 03:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Gwapo, where are you ?

Has anyone else noticed that GWAPO has not responded to any of our comments since July?

Seems a little odd that he/she has not commented since the initial "giving up" posts?!!

Are you still out there or did you hang up the X-Acto knife? Talk to us.....

SFX
Old 09-03-2013, 06:04 AM

Thanks guys for all the tips and encouragement, I had decided to stop building, but now I think I will give it another try using your suggestions. When I say the parts don't fit, in these cases I am referring to huge discrepencies. On the Fokker E1, the fuselage side skins are over an eighth of an inch longer that the frame. It can't be a printing issues, because the parts all came from the same sheet.

In the Case of the Avro F, the slots for the wings are more than a quarter of an inch too small for the width of the wings.

Other cases are where it is totally unclear how parts attach to one another, etc. I got a lot more information from the directions with my plastic models. It seems the designers of paper models just assume you will eventually figure it out. But its no fun after ruining several expensive printed sheets.

I will try one of the Canon models suggested. I might post a build of the Fokker, but I need a break from it now after my thrid attempt.

IF someone could recommend a specific model that they know for a fact goes together fairly easily, I would appreciate it.
Google Adsense
Old 09-03-2013, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Check out some of the offerings at Free Models - currell.net. The instructions for each model are very helpful and easy to comprehend. It might relight your enthusiasm lamp.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
re the Fokker issue...does this help?
Fokker Challenge build questions

I'm still not clear on what models you are trying to build.
If you posted the actual names and designers, we might have more info on those particular kits.

Yes, there are many models that don't fit together perfectly and require some creative work.
When dealing with free models, one cannot expect perfection.

Yes, there are many models that lack sufficient Instruction pages and diagrams.
Especially free models.
Just be thankful the model is free.

Then theres the learning curve and skill level issue.
Not all models are designed with a specific skill level in mind.
Many are just designed.
They end up having very easy assemblies and very difficult assemblies.
I do my best when designing a model to maintain the skill level throughout
all areas of the model, but its not easy.

There are plenty of free models at ecardmodels (if you are looking for aircraft).
Download them all...look through them...find one you like.

This one looks especially good for a beginner:
1/50 PZL-22 Experimental Delta Wing - Paper Model
Instructions are basic but look adequate.
Its a little small but it looks like a good learning model.
It could easily be enlarged during printing.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
There are so many great free models out there (and lots that fall into the category of would be great except for '_____')

What is your main interest? That way we can recommend models that you have an interest in building.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.79 MB
Don't give up because you can't complete a more skillful model. Take a break and build a very simple one that can be completed in a couple hours. The satisfaction of completing something could boost a person's self confidence and motivate them to keep trying.

I make a miniature (about 1 inch tall) "cubeecraft" figure when I need a boost. They're usually made of 5 boxes and take me no more than an hour to complete. If you wish to know how often I get frustrated with other models, just count how many cubeecraft I have.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:46 PM

Yup I agree I was building the 1960's bat mobile model and spent numerous hours on the interior,.. And it looked awesome ,.. But when it came time to put the body around it it didn't fit,..frustrating to the point of quitting,.. Someone on this forum offered to help ,.. It was refreshing to know someone was there,.. Unfortunately when I went to take pics of the fit issue and cockpit I found that my visiting mother had accidently crushed it by placing stuff on top on my container,.. I went straight to building simple houses just to get out of my funk,.. Sometimes I just try to find ways to build something my way that I know I can't build the designers way
Google Adsense