PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 09-04-2013, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
Have you been successful at completing anything to your satisfaction? It could be that your doing just fine and are making the typical mistakes we all make. I honestly know.

Have you built a decent cube, or other simple shape? If not, give it a try. Seriously, if you can't build a basic shape, what are you doing getting into more complicated, frustrating models.

If you have built these shapes then go on to the Canon models mentioned earlier and build a dozen or so and then try the fancier models.

Otherwise, you'll just keep getting frustrated.

Your decision, good luck

SFX
Actually, building the little houses and cubes is pretty easy. Its when I get the aircraft that things consistantly fall apart.

I tried to build the Mig-15 from Fiddlersgreen. I couldn't get the fuselage maintain to the eliptical shape it required.

I did build the Avro F also from FG- but I had to lengthen the wing slots considerably. It looks stupid.

Again, the Fokker E1 was the free one from Modele Cartone. That's the one where the fuseldage sideskins were longer than the frame.

I will take your advice and try to build the canon models.

Thanks everyone for trying to encourage me to continue.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:01 AM

My experiences were somewhat like yours when I started. What really got me hooked was a inexpensive commercial kit because at that time, there wasn't quite as much to choose from. Those kits are free these days although small in scale. I think someone mentioned Mr Prudenziati's stuff. They are wonderful little models that look astounding. If you want something detailed and fits without any errors, try out the Modelart line of kits. Their P-40's are amazing in 1:32. Digital Navy's FW-190 or Macchi Folgore are flawless. They all cost but are tried and true. The instructions are all first rate and with those experiences you will be able to tackle anything *and* have something to be proud of. Before I forget, Thai Paperworks (our member Nobi's excellent line) has a few freebies that are first rate and his commercial line is perfect. The results are always outstanding

Hope you keep at it!
Ron
Old 09-04-2013, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.12 MB
I myself just ran into the same prob with the battleship missouri. The inner support seemed way too small for the outer skin so I cut it smaller. Then I wanted to put the deck on and now its too big. Managed to cut here and there to make it fit now its still a bit too wide so I'm working on fixing that. Either I made a misinterpretation of the instruction or its scaled a bit wrong. All in all I think I jumped into a complicated model too soon. Frustrating as hell but I'm pushing forward. Don't feel alone know what your feeling like right now, some patience and pre-fitting before gluing saves time ink and paper. Hang in there
Old 09-05-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westley View Post
I myself just ran into the same prob with the battleship missouri. The inner support seemed way too small for the outer skin so I cut it smaller. Then I wanted to put the deck on and now its too big. Managed to cut here and there to make it fit now its still a bit too wide so I'm working on fixing that. Either I made a misinterpretation of the instruction or its scaled a bit wrong. All in all I think I jumped into a complicated model too soon. Frustrating as hell but I'm pushing forward. Don't feel alone know what your feeling like right now, some patience and pre-fitting before gluing saves time ink and paper. Hang in there
My thing with that is, someone has to have built it. If it is scaled wrong, didn't the designer build it and would know that it doesn't fit? Wouldn't they correct it? If the scales that are (sometimes) provided to ensure that all your pages print to the same scale match up, how could the designer NOT know that the parts don't fit? And while I am ranting (please forgive me), why not just tell us if you are suppose to cut inside or outside the line, or what thinckness of cardstock to use, etc. It a few simple sentences could save hours of frustration. I'm not expecting a cheap or free model to be fleshed out with detailed step by steps, but geez, at least give the builder a few things to go on..

You know, maybe I should build one with just black ink thick paper before investing the ink just to find out if everything fits or not.

I apologise for complaining...it is usually not my nature. Maybe my perception is scewed and my expectations are misguided. Maybe after building 20 or 30 model disasters it will all start to click.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
try papercruiser's ideas! he make the paper in shaping form first then he test fits it first. before he puts color texture to it to make look real look a like but only smaller but he is very good at that look here first papercruiser.com web site. and see for yourself! how he does it! step by step! I hope this will help you out a little.

Paper Cruisers | Paper models of Toyota Land Cruisers and 4×4 trucks here click this one good luck!
Google Adsense