PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 05-18-2014, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Best knife handle?

Hi,

I used to have a x-acto #1 precision knife, and while it had precision i wasn't very comfortable after a while. Then I moved, left my modeling stuff back home, so I'll be buying new things to restart doing paper models again.

At the x-acto website I've just seen many other handles.

Which one would you recommend for comfort + ease of use?

Best regards,
Eloy
Google Adsense
Old 05-18-2014, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
After many years, I still prefer the #1 Gripsters. I like the colored barrels so I can find the knife in all the clutter.

I've also used the #1 with the contoured rubber grip handle. Did not like it al all and it actually bent on me during heavy cutting.

I think, like "what type of glue do you like", you're going to find the answers as varied as the people. If you can afford it, try out two or three. I think the big question is did you like the basic #1 handle you were using?

Good luck. I look forward to others input here.

JoeG
Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 72.31 MB
I too like the gripster
but on some days where my hands are cold or are hurting I like a knife handlle that is a bit thicker, the new curve looks good I will have to try one.
I have some wooden handles that fit x-acto blades I use, that are not so skinny.
I like the idea of the curves handle with the coating thats on the gripster
Z-Series Blade - #1 Precision Knife | X-ACTO

Matt Sparks
Old 05-18-2014, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
The Fiskars Softgrip knife is good. The one I have been using for years is blue instead of orange.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear evilfer:
I was going to tell you about a hobby store in Buffalo New York who have a knife handle to fit Exacto blades only $2.00 US has their logo on it, but then I looked at where you are living and said whoops that won't work. I will put my 2 cents worth that find a handle that tightens from the back.
Good luck,
MILES
Any one local it is Niagara hobbies in Amherst, NY
Google Adsense
Old 05-18-2014, 11:23 AM

Thank you your all the anwsers :D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
After many years, I still prefer the #1 Gripsters. I like the colored barrels so I can find the knife in all the clutter.

I've also used the #1 with the contoured rubber grip handle. Did not like it al all and it actually bent on me during heavy cutting.

I think, like "what type of glue do you like", you're going to find the answers as varied as the people. If you can afford it, try out two or three. I think the big question is did you like the basic #1 handle you were using?

Good luck. I look forward to others input here.

JoeG
Probably not a great question, but since there are many options now I appreciate your pointers towards a couple of knives to try. Actually I was worried a bit about bending for rubber models --something you cannot imagine the original #1 doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltedfalcon View Post
I too like the gripster
but on some days where my hands are cold or are hurting I like a knife handlle that is a bit thicker, the new curve looks good I will have to try one.
I have some wooden handles that fit x-acto blades I use, that are not so skinny.
I like the idea of the curves handle with the coating thats on the gripster
Z-Series Blade - #1 Precision Knife | X-ACTO

Matt Sparks
I like the idea of the curvy ones, that's what made me ask in this forum. jagolden01's answer shows a bit of disappointed with them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
The Fiskars Softgrip knife is good. The one I have been using for years is blue instead of orange.
I like this one! Seems comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear evilfer:
I was going to tell you about a hobby store in Buffalo New York who have a knife handle to fit Exacto blades only $2.00 US has their logo on it, but then I looked at where you are living and said whoops that won't work. I will put my 2 cents worth that find a handle that tightens from the back.
Good luck,
MILES
Any one local it is Niagara hobbies in Amherst, NY
I'm not planning a trip to the US at the moment. I would love to have a local shop where I could browse and talk about these things... I had that in Spain but not where I'm living now :(.

After reading your answers, I'm thinking of getting a gripster or the fiskars suggested by SCEtoAUX. Probably the later, if only to try a different brand :D.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
I've not tried the Fiskars SoftGrip, only the bulky x-acto one.

I actually like the look of the Fiskars one. Next time I'm at the craft store I think I'll pick one up.

I think my main reason for liking the standard #1 handle is that it's what I've grown up with. Also, very important, you can "roll" it easily around curves.

JoeG
Old 05-20-2014, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
I'd say almost any handle with a rubber grip that fits comfortably in your hand.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 967.02 MB
i have the Fiskars soft grip and i love it not only is it comfortable it is flat on the sides and will not roll off the table.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 AM

I've got all kinds of knives, but keep coming back to the Stanley disposable, which of course is easy to sharpen. Don't know why, I just love it for craft work, the knife is so light, razor sharp, and solid, nothing to unscrew or fall apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Best knife handle?-102677.jpg  
Google Adsense