PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 147.71 MB
I scan all my kits. I scan at 300 dpi. I use a Canon MP470 on picture setting then clean the image with HP Photosmart. I turn the JPEGs into PDFs so i can scale them. I print on mat photo paper again, on photo setting and seal the models with Krylon. Usually comes out very well and the big box of kits just keeps getting bigger.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
instead of using jpegs which themselves are compressed, use tiff or png, with no compression
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-02-2009, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
I must admit, I scan everything into the 'puter, more for the fact that I usually manage to screw things up and feel more comfortable having the original left over to consult and have another go at it. And like Zachy, I like having a collection of kits to be able to build another or a different version if the mood strikes.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Banned

Scanning makes sense, especially if you have Photoshop. 600 DPI makes sense if you plan to enlarge a model also.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 PM

600 DPI is good if we had the technology to utilize it. We don't.

600 DPI just gives you larger files.
Google Adsense
Old 04-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I cut originals and hope that if I f'up too bad that I can either get another kit or have a friendly person help me with a nice scan of the parts I need to replace
Old 04-02-2009, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
300 dots is a good choice für RGB; I prefer 500 if I use b/w pics ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 04-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Banned

Larger files means less staircasing on the edges when your enlarge. That is probably the only time it is useful. Files can get big, fast.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:20 PM

Looks like you fellows have answered the question I was about to ask: "Is it legal/ethical to copy a printed kit as long as the copy is strictly for your own use, such as a backup or to save the original?" Evidently it's OK to do so.

I have several old printed kits that are probably no longer made. I intend to use my Epson CX4800 copier (a great copier for only around $120) to copy the pages, and build from the copies, thus saving the originals in unbuilt form. I can also put the copied parts on lightweight cardboard backing for a sturdier model.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
I have yet to build a model NOT scanned. If you want to build in 1/16 - which the quality of good 1/33 models begs for, than you have to. The only reason why these models are not available in larger scale is the exorbitant cost of printing them in this format.

Enlarging to this scale regularly entails getting around the problem of larger paper size. Since I have only the cheapest kind of printer, I've learnt to use longer paper instead, usually A3 length cut down to max printer width. It ususally means 21+ cm x 42 cm length.

Next problem is large parts, such as wings. You can usually get around this, if necessary at all, by dividing them up along natural rivet lines.

In any case, this means a lot of work making new printing sheets, repositioning parts. This is almost as much fun as building a model. In effect, you make your own kits, and get them how you like them, instead of the hopelessly cluttered up original sheets. All fuselage parts on separate sheets, all parts to be doubled up on others, etc.

I can only recommend the practice. You don't have to be a genius at the computer to learn how to do it - a strong wish to get there will take you a long way. And you will get better on computers in the process!

Leif
Google Adsense