PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 03-22-2015, 03:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiestarman View Post
I want to thank you all for the info, the model is from the master -- uhu02, Apollo 13 LM -7 Aquarius. I have been working with Gimp for two days now and have decided I had better quit. Being Bipolar and ADHD frustration is not a good thing for me. It will probably be cheaper for me to pay $265 for the 20 pages in A2 in the long run -- my printer and I had a disagreement today -- it lost badly. Thanks guys

Jerry
Or you could ask the designer if he would offer it in the larger scale. I am working on a request like that of my designs. A good customer requested an large version for his young nephew. But I know I will be able to sell them at that size to others so I did not mind the extra labor.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
265 bucks for some prints? Heck, NO!!!

All you need is Gimp and PDFillTools Free:

FREE PDF Tools to Merge, Split, Encrypt, Rotate, Crop, Header, Watermark, Image to PDF, PDF to Image...

Download and install the programs. Now do this:

Start PDFill Tools, choose "Convert PDF into images", load the pdf file. Change the resolution from 144 dpi to at least 300 dpi. Do not go above 600 dpi because that would increase the file size too much. Choose image type PNG as this is a format which compresses without degrading quality. Then "Save as Image ..." and wait till all pages have been saved (there is no progression bar, just look at the folder where the images are saved to).

Start Gimp and load the first picture. Image > Scale Image > switch to percent and enter "200" % > Scale. Save the new picture as PNG. Now pull two guide lines into the center of the image, one horizontally and one vertically. Go "Image" > "Transformation" > "Guillotine". The image is chopped into four parts along the guide lines. Save these parts. Repeat with the rest of the pages.

Then open each new file and crop it to cut away any unneded white space and / or re-arrange the parts to make sure that everything is printed completely. Then save and print with Gimp.

That's it. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2015, 06:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
uhu02, Apollo 13 LM -7 Aquarius?
lol

you have probably picked one of the worst models to resize in this manner!
Not only is it 21 pages...but the part count is quite high
and its crammed with parts of every shape and size.

There are many parts that will have to be split into smaller components and
then reassembled during the final model assembly...so, lots of seams.

There are many many very small parts that make it difficult just to divide up
the pages for tile enlargment and printing...you don't want to be chopping
up smaller parts in the process.

Even for me, and I know what I am doing with Corel (I think Uhu designs in Corel)
it would take a very long time and a lot of work to separate and reorganize that
model (for upscale printing).

You do NOT want to rasterize this file. It is pure vector art. Wonderfully executed and detailed vector art.
It will upscale perfectly. You want to work with this file as vector artwork and retain all of UHu's high
quality artwork. Do not convert to "image". No jpeg or Png!

And even if you get it all sorted ...enlarged, and reorganized...it will require printing
on more sheets (depending on the new sheet size) which will double, triple or even
quadruple the price! (One A4 page enlarged 200% will require four A4 pages to print)

I would say your most practical method is to find a print shop who can print on larger full sheets,
can supply you with the proper cardstock (f you don't already have it)
and can give you 21 sheets printed at a reasonable cost.

A2 printing might be your best option. Its close to 200% enlargement.
And it shouldn't be too difficult/expensive to get cardstock.
If you print without margins, I think a 220% enlargement will fit.
Anyone with a large format printer can print the pages for you, you just need to haggle a price.

($4-$5 per A2 sheet would be the most I would pay including the cardstock.)
Old 03-22-2015, 11:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
My curiousity was raised by the discussion, so I downloaded the UHU-02 model of the Apollo-7 in 1:48 scale to have a look, just to see.

First of all - it is, like all of you have said, a fabulous, almost incredibly richly detailed model. I doubt that I've seen anything like it.

Second, it is fully vectorized, so that if I open the pdf pages in Illustrator (or similar, like Gimp I suppose), it is fully editable, with no loss of quality.

Third, I do believe it is possible to double the size and print it in an ordinary desktop (A4-Letter) inkjet printer. Here's what page one of the kit would look like, split up into three pages at 1/24 scale:

Note that the paper size here is A3 width (420 mm) cut down to A4 width (210 mm) in order to fit into the ordinary kind of A4-Letter inkjet printers.

Like Dave, I estimate the full kit would amount to 63-75 pages in this format (depending on how parts fit into the 210 mm width/height shown here).

The illustrations are not full-scale (although my trial remake is), so don't try to use them for anything, they are just for show.

Last point, these three pages took me most of a full day to rework, and the pdf-file of these three first pages is 30+ MB. This is exhausting work. If I were really turned on by the subject of the model, I would love to get down to it, just because it is possible, and because the originals are so good. However, at least for me, this is not the time.

But it was an interesting exercise. And the work by UHU-02 is truly astounding. I'm glad I got an opportunity to have a closer look at it.

Leif

PS. The original 1:48 scale model by UHU-02 is here.
Attached Thumbnails
1/48 to 1/24-apollo-7-1-.jpg   1/48 to 1/24-apollo-7-2-.jpg   1/48 to 1/24-apollo-7-3-.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 03-22-2015 at 11:56 AM.