PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 04-02-2015, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Butchers:
I as say that you should color before gluing! Also so of the members will use Kids water color paint kits and mix colors to match.
Good luck,
Miles
Old 04-02-2015, 07:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
I have had good luck using colored pastels. I have a set of gray shades and a set of earth tones. They are somewhat soft and just rubbing them up and down the edges yields good results. The nice thing is they are dry and you don't have to worry aboout bleeding or wetting the paper. A small make up applicator can be wetted and rubbed on the pastel and then applied to the model. Adjust the moisture as needed.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
YES color the edges it's the first step in taking your models to the next level.

I go to the extreme of matching color exactly. I use Gouache (opaque) water colors and I have no issues with using "water" colors on paper models. One of the advantages of using water colors is that once you have mixed the color you want and it dries out just add water. I admit that I build my models to compete with plastic in model contests so I try to conform to the expectations of the judges.

A commit on mixing colors use lamps with a high Kelvin rating 5500 or higher. K rating is a color rating of the lamp. Most home lamps have a yellow tint and have a K rating of 2200 to 3600. compact florescent and LED lamps are available with K ratings in the 5500 to 6700 and the color of these lamps near sunlight. If you have ever painted a model that looked good in the house and you take it outside in the sun light and the colors look different it is due to the color of the lamps you are using when you built your model.

I did warn you that I do go to the extremes on color matching.

Jim Nunn
Old 04-03-2015, 04:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
No one's mentioned my simple and cheap method -- Crayola crayons. A box of 64 provides a wide variety of colors, and they produce opaque edges.

Les (The Voice of Authority -- VoiceofAuthority.net - The Voice Stylings of Les Dorr, Jr.)
Old 04-03-2015, 05:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.35 MB
Usefull Advice

Some really good advice, thanks very much. I am only on my fifth model (Apache Longbow). When it is finished I would like to start a gallery. This model will show some white edges but I have to put this down as a learning curve. The really important point I understand now is to get these models looking really good is to draw attention away from the white edges and back the model as a whole.
I will probably never enter competitions as such but as in everything I do I need to do a good job or its not worth doing.

Cheers