PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 04-22-2015, 03:42 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
AMX Soyuz Rings Lining Up.

For my second try at this model I'm back where I was before with lining all the rings up so they are correctly lined up and I'm not just sure how it goes. I read over the instructions but I can't see how they each fit on to form the ball of the model and have them in the right order as with one on top of the other. Has any one else had this problem or is it just me. I've looked at the photos and like Ray Charles has said time and time again, "man, I just don't see it." Thank you for any help. wc
Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2015, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
I'm going to make a go at the Soyuz next week (Spring cleaning at the moment).

If I can hijack the plotter at work I was going to print at 1:48, if not I'll go with the 96 scale off my own printer. I can maybe put some pictures up if I can figure it out?

Eventually I want the Apollo-Soyuz to display together (again at at least 1:48 scale). I've got the Surfduke models, but after taking a look at them, I think it's a big pill to take all at once. If Alphonso's Soyuz goes together as easy as the Ares1X, it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:35 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
My problem is lining up the different fings so they are in the correct position. Right now I just can't seem to see this. Thank you for any help PhantomCruise. wc
Old 04-24-2015, 07:43 PM

Alrighty, I've got the Orbital module center (main section with the teeth(?) cut, along with the next forward piece (the one with the red chevrons). These are glued up and drying now while the forward most piece has been cut and pre-shaped.

There is some gap in between the two pieces that I couldn't get to close up, right where the seams are (I assume the seams all line up throughout the craft). Hopefully this will be covered up by the additional body piece (the one with the Russian flag on it.

After looking through the instructions, I'm not sure how the probe-and-drogue assembly will go together. I've got a rough idea, but there isn't a very good picture of it.

Hahaha realized you can see my blob of glue. Kinda funny anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
AMX Soyuz Rings Lining Up.-20150424_214220.jpg  

Last edited by PhantomCruiser; 04-24-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 04-24-2015, 07:54 PM

I just dry fit that small ring/conic section into the body and it was a perfect fit.
Google Adsense
Old 04-25-2015, 02:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi Wad Cutter, I took a dive into my archive and I could find only these two shots of how I did it. Maybe it's not entirely clear but my seams don't line up in any case. I just used Alfonso's manual as a guidance and looked at the lining up of all the parts on the real thing (all protrusions like the porthole, the flag, emblems, stuff like that). I always use photos of the real stuff to try and figure out where parts actually go and how stuff lines up.
Attached Thumbnails
AMX Soyuz Rings Lining Up.-cimg4677.jpg   AMX Soyuz Rings Lining Up.-cimg4678.jpg  
Old 04-25-2015, 07:43 AM

Thanks for that visual PK! Does the docking ring get edge glued to the body of the orbital module? I think I can figure out the cones that make up the docking ass'y, we'll see how it goes.

In the meantime, here's the orbital module with 5 pieces assembled; pretty much just how they are arranged on the page. Start in the center and work the way toward both ends.

It seems like there's not a whole lot of glue area on the right hand side, (the piece that mates the orbital module to the return module) as it mates up to the 2nd to last piece of the orbital module. I'm going to reinforce that with some tissue. I'm surprised how sturdy this little section is though. Just 5 little strips of cardstock, it'd be easy enough to squash it, but it's not nearly as delicate as some other things I've built.
Attached Thumbnails
AMX Soyuz Rings Lining Up.-20150425_092804.jpg  
Old 04-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Eternal Member

I must be as stupid as a rock because I either don't see it or I just don't understand. Are you saying as the rings lay on the paper before they are cut out is the way they go together? So if I line up all the seems then that's the way they line up? I don't have a problem with which ring goes on top of another. It's how each of the rings line vertically on top of each ring. wc

Last edited by Wad Cutter; 04-25-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:35 AM

Don't say that! Everyone has their own specialties.

I really think I want to do this in a 48 scale model. I'm not quite all thumbs, but I can see how having more room to maneuver would make this a lot easier. I can't imagine doing this at 1:114 or smaller. If I were to guess this will be around 2 1/4 inches when done? It's a lot of detail in a small area, that's for sure.

Print one out and start cutting, maybe we can build one a the same time?
Old 04-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Eternal Member

The scale I'm using is 1:133. I had a friend do this for me and that is what he posted on the page. It's not the size but the alinement that is throwing me off. So if I I cut each ring out and placed a line of the other side in the middle or use the seem where they join together that all I have to do? Is that it?wc
Google Adsense