PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 05-29-2009, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I am now convinced I need to find a punch set. It would make life a whole lot easier & grunt-work could progress faster.

I especially like the tiny models, reminds me of the work of French POW's who were kept around here in early C19th. The tiny models carved from bone scraps from their rations are quite something.

& my ever-growing build list now includes micro traction engines...
Old 05-29-2009, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
For small circles a rotary leather punch, gasket punch set (hardware store), or Japanese screw punch can be your best friend. For larger circles, a circle cutting compass or gasket punch set (1/16" - 1") work very well. As with anything else a little practice on scrap before cutting actual parts is a good idea.

I have built both of Exclusive Model's half tracks. I printed them on medium gray cardstock. The results were very nice. I built a couple of the paper tiger models early in my introduction to this hobby. They were a great learning experience.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 PM

Following the consensus of opinion I have just invested c.$8 in a 9 piece hollow punch set - ranging from 2.5mm - 10mm. As the bulk of my БУМАЖНЫЕ collection is Eastern European 'real' measurements are possibly less useful :p
I also suspect I may actually use them for gaskets & washers etc

Now the hard part - waiting for them to arrive.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
For small circles a rotary leather punch, gasket punch set (hardware store), or Japanese screw punch can be your best friend. For larger circles, a circle cutting compass or gasket punch set (1/16" - 1") work very well. As with anything else a little practice on scrap before cutting actual parts is a good idea.

I have built both of Exclusive Model's half tracks. I printed them on medium gray cardstock. The results were very nice. I built a couple of the paper tiger models early in my introduction to this hobby. They were a great learning experience.
****Somehow my edit has turned into a double post - see post below******

You know for some reason I completely forgot coloured card - which I have - & figured I'd probably do a winter camo paint job on the white stock with inks...
Being inquisitive I'm wondering if you posted any pictures so I know what to aim for!

Last edited by medved; 05-29-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 05-29-2009, 12:17 PM

The white files I put into some thing like Paint Shop Pro or Paint.NET and make it in color before I print. If you like to do something like camoufalge. Just make the model in the one solid color like Sand Yellow. Then you can use a Q-Tip or Eyeshadow sponge and apply color pastel chalks for camouflage on top once you make up all the model's parts.
Google Adsense
Old 05-29-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post

I read that the rotary type punch is great for port-holes, & whilst Nautical subjects are a way off, I grabbed the freebie from Digital Navy, the designer seems switched on & so I figure I'd have a fighting chance with the subject.

You know for some reason I completely forgot coloured card - which I have - & figured I'd probably do a winter camo paint job on the white stock with inks...
Being inquisitive I'm wondering if you posted any pictures so I know what to aim for!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keds_Girl_Lala View Post
The white files I put into some thing like Paint Shop Pro or Paint.NET and make it in color before I print. If you like to do something like camoufalge. Just make the model in the one solid color like Sand Yellow. Then you can use a Q-Tip or Eyeshadow sponge and apply color pastel chalks for camouflage on top once you make up all the model's parts.
Good thinking! I think the potential of chalks is pretty high, I especially like the idea of 'smudging' for accenting hi-lights / wear patterns etc. Powder for dust & grime etc.

Now I'm wondering about fixatives - has anyone used the spray fixative (normally supplied for sealing photo-prints) on a model?

Beyond that, my long to-do list includes some paintshop work - there are plenty of interesting camo schemes to try & replicate.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:06 PM

I use Matte spray varnish for pencil and chalk by Prismacolor. I have used the chalks before when I hand color some faerie figures on paper.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:27 AM

@Keds_Girl_Lala Thanks for that, good to know I can make the powder stick!

I have found a camo scheme I like & will try to apply to the Exclusive 251. If paintshop behaves I will post the result. :p

Western Europe Autumn 1944
Old 05-30-2009, 08:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by medved View Post
Following the consensus of opinion I have just invested c.$8 in a 9 piece hollow punch set - ranging from 2.5mm - 10mm. As the bulk of my БУМАЖНЫЕ collection is Eastern European 'real' measurements are possibly less useful :p
I also suspect I may actually use them for gaskets & washers etc

Now the hard part - waiting for them to arrive.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Medved, Check out this earlier thread for some helpful information when using your punch set. Never Punch Another Off-Center Hole!
Google Adsense